Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times

Advertisements

I've been taking photos for years, starting with a Polaroid PDC-640 in 2000, then upgrading to a Sony Cybershot DSC-P71 in 2002, then a Lumix DMC-LX2 in 2007, and finally a Lumix DMC-LX5 in 2011. The last two cameras were stolen; the Cybershot is technically obsolete and its lens seems too dirty to clean; and the Polaroid PDC-640, of course, is VERY obsolete (if it still works). I've actually gotten serious about photography at times and wanted to upgrade to a DSLR: I had the D80 picked out in 2006. I mainly shoot landscapes, as well as some urban photography and macro shots; much of my work I've released as public domain and I have found various media outlets using it, which pleases me. I have shot some video as well, particularly with my last two cameras that had HD (720p) recording with sound.

I am between a rock and a hard place now, but foresee that things will get better. The first major purchase I want to make is obviously a new camera. I am looking to spend under $1,000 (body-only, but it'd be nice if it came as a kit). I also do not want another point-and-shoot camera, even though it may include manual controls. I would like the benefits of a larger sensor (my last camera had a 1/1.63" sensor), as well as a more professional "feel". The camera would ideally be able to make very long (60s and upwards) exposures, but I think all DSLR's have this as bulb mode. Video capability at at least 720p @ 30 fps is a must, and ideally the camera would have manual controls in video. Otherwise, I am mainly concerned about picture quality, but I believe that all current DSLR's are sufficient for me in that respect.

As for a lens, I would like to start out with at least a general-purpose kit lens and a wide-angle lens. Also, could you suggest a low-cost tripod suitable for taking shots while hiking, as well as night shots with the wide angle or kit lens?

I would also like to at least partially re-coup the costs of the setup by selling pictures, perhaps on-scene graduation photos, selling pictures to media outlets at low cost or contracting with them (I'm not talking the NYT here - more like small-town newspapers and the like), or even weddings / quinceañeras / funerals.

I am mainly looking at the Canon EOS 60D, the Canon Rebel T2i, and Sony Alpha A55 (I know it's not a DSLR, but it's close enough). Any other suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:16 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Go to a camera store and handle the cameras. While the T2i is a capable camera, it is smaller than the 60D, and it's not comfortable in my hands. You might like it better.

For macro shots with an SLR you'll be happiest with a true macro lens, not some cheap zoom that says macro on it. Get a prime, probably of 100mm or so. If cost is a major concern, there are some cheap macro lenses that do a good job. I have a Vivitar 100 that sells new for around $150. It feels like garbage, but it takes good pictures. There's also the option of tubes that can be placed between the body and lens, but to work well they've got to be on a good prime lens, probably a 50mm, or you can get a close-up lens that screws to the front of your normal lens. If you do that, get a good double-element close-up lens like those that Canon offers. Again, if they don't go onto the front of a good lens, results will be poor. That's why I like the Vivitar for a cheap alternative.

For a tripod I'd suggest one of the small Manfrottos with a ball head. They make a good medium priced tripod that is fairly sturdy and won't be clanging with every step down the trail. Get one that fits you so you don't have to stoop too much to use it -- without extending the center column. I'd also strongly suggest that you get a quick-release mount. That won't make your pictures any better, but you will be more likely to use it. I also recommend a cable release for your shutter if you're using a tripod. If you don't want camera shake, don't touch the camera when releasing the shutter.

As a professional photographer, I'd have to urge you to NOT take on a wedding assignment for pay unless/until you have a capable backup body, lenses, batteries, and at least on-camera flashes with tilt and swivel heads. If your camera/lens/flash malfunctions in the middle of the ceremony, you'd best be able to just grab a replacement from your bag and continue shooting. There are no do-overs in wedding photography. If fact, it's one of the most demanding photo jobs out there. Not only must you be able to nail each photo and direct people, you've got to be able to do it while working with a bridezilla and sometimes parents of brides and grooms who all demand something else, not to mention Uncle Joe, who thinks he has every right to take a photo of what you've just set up or jump in front of you as the bride walks down the isle or smears a piece of wedding cake on the groom's face. Wedding photography is best done by those with lots of experience -- or done for free with no expectations from the bride, groom and families.

I have a close working relationship with a photo finisher in my town. They often tell me about the brides who bring in a disk full of shots taken by an amateur photographer and ask if there's anything they can do to salvage them. No. And the bride is in tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography