Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Photos from the ISA show. Don't try making this with anything but sharp 8x10 or larger sheet film. The size of this behemoth printer is hard to comprehend with out seeing it in action. I should have packed my Pro Canon DSLR in for clearer and sharper images but these will suffice and give a general idea of just how big they are.

Here I'm drooling on the 64" fine art and pro photographic 64" printer. I will not post photos of the 17", 24" or 44" printers as those are available in links I've already posted and the images are much better that what we could take indoors at the show. Here I just wanted to show what could be done with large format sheet film.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-24-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
How would you get that printer in the front door..

Looking for current price of 4x5 film ~ processing ~ shipping per image.
B&W ~ Color.
I am very curious on large format and the equipment and process. I feel it's a lost art.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
How would you get that printer in the front door..

Build a bigger house. Actually the 44" printer will go through any modern house front door. I've done it.

Looking for current price of 4x5 film ~ processing ~ shipping per image.
B&W ~ Color.

Processing prices listed. Shipping is determined by the number. Shipping for 20 sheets should not be little more if any than five sheets. Very little added weight. More sheets = less per sheet.

Processing Prices:
B&W: E-Six Lab -professional black and white film processing (http://www.e-sixlab.com/bw.htm - broken link)
C-41: E-Six Lab -professional C41 film processing for over 30 years (http://www.e-sixlab.com/c41.htm - broken link)
E-6: E-Six Lab - professional E6 film processing and developing for over 30 years

I am very curious on large format and the equipment and process. I feel it's a lost art.
There are still clubs that share and use darkroom equipment. I'd rather scan and use larger format printing especially now that photo paper with the traditional touch and feel of the old dark room paper is available. One more advantage to using scanned images is the lack of the need to safely dispose of the darkroom chemicals for silver recovery.

Epson Cold Press Bright 100% Cotton Fiber 24"x50' Roll :: Epson 20"-24" Roll Fine Art Papers :: Epson 20"-24" Rolls - All :: Epson Papers :: Inks, Papers, Media :: Digital Technology Group

I listed the Atlanta lab for its more central location. I have used it. There is one in Colorado Springs, CO. I don't know what they process now. For pure B&W arts then I know that this lab is used by one of the best known professional B&W artists in the world.

Printmakers of Fine Art True B&W Photographs & Giclee Prints From Negatives Or Digital Files

The above lab I think offers scanning of your film with a very professional film scanner. They also offer color scans.

As with any form of photography that uses multiple lenses, good glass is the major expense. On the other hand lenses will last a life time. My 4x5 camera with one of the best lenses I could by wasn't much more than the cost of a state of the art car stereo system for a car when I bought it a few years ago. I bought it with a 150mm Rodenstock lens which is about the same as a 50mm on 35mm. I need a 75mm Rodenstock f4.5 wide angle, a 180mm macro, and a Schneider 400mm telephoto. A 210mm would be nice but would be the last lens to collect. There are no zoom lenses with large format. All are sharp primes.

A 24" printer now delivered to your door (an Epson 7900) is $2,634.10 plus $75 for a lift gate delivery truck. The Xrite attachment is not needed unless you are doing proofing for product photography. I got this info straight from Epson at the ISA show last Thursday. There are a lot more tools that can and should be used if the printer is used for fine art reproduction. Color management is a must and requires training. RIP software is very valuable tool to print from rather than out of Photoshop especially if you are up-sizing and image. Seeing is believing and I've seen. The printer will pay for itself in the hands of someone willing to do fine are reproductions even for advanced art students. Just an idea as how to have it free (not including ink or media) for your own needs.

A flat bed film scanner is $857.54 which include sales tax currently. This model has the wet tray to use scanner oils with.

For the B&W purist B&H Photo Video still sells 4x5 enlargers for the darkroom as well as all chemicals. I would be interested in one if they sold a model that could be used horizontally so panoramas could be made by exposing the negatives on the wall instead of the smaller base.

Nothing is cheap but it's just money. They will print more.

One thing I'll add for everyone. It can get really hot under the dark cloth in the summer. I'm having one custom made (I buy the fabric and my mother sews) with a reflective white top with a light blocking bottom side. It is very hard to focus with sweat in your eyes.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 PM

From what I am reading processing for each 4x5 would be 2-5 dollars depending on process. Then another 2--5 dollars for a single print and dry mount. Too have a photo hung on the wall.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
From what I am reading processing for each 4x5 would be 2-5 dollars depending on process. Then another 2--5 dollars for a single print and dry mount. Too have a photo hung on the wall.
Actually that's just the start. Unless you figure a trip is a vacation then the cost of travel comes into play. That is a key factor in the price of a professionals large format art print.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Actually that's just the start. Unless you figure a trip is a vacation then the cost of travel comes into play. That is a key factor in the price of a professionals large format art print.
I see the cost of ( 1 ) wide angle lens..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I see the cost of ( 1 ) wide angle lens..
Lens costs for large format cameras are not a lot different for good glass for pro digital that renders far fewer mega pixels than the large format wide angles. Either way Unless you win the lottery or stumble into a mega inheritance then one lens a year will get you a good collection in time.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM

One product used for displaying large format prints done on paper medium is the anti glare plexiglass.

I don't know this company but am posting this link for information purposes. Glass is just to heavy for most applications when you go big. I hate going into a gallery with beautiful images and then glare is coming from all angles. Just be mindful of the special care required for cleaning.

CLEAR P99 ACRYLIC PAPER MASK Plastic Sheets

Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
Default Yup

I have and use extensively a 4x5 Graphic View II and a '31 vintage 5x7 Speed Graphic for years and love it. It's a stress reliever for me. Just like my car's.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
I have and use extensively a 4x5 Graphic View II and a '31 vintage 5x7 Speed Graphic for years and love it. It's a stress reliever for me. Just like my car's.
World wide there are a lot more large format shooters than people would believe. And a lot of ultra large format too. I former colleague of mine told me of a couple of guys with a 20x24 ultra that mounted it in a van on a track to where they could open either the side doors or rear doors and shoot. Not a bad way to make contact B&W prints with all the detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography