Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,853,731 times

Advertisements

I feel that more painters have made attempts to mimic the reality in front of them than photographers who like to present the reality as they saw it. Even “Monalisa” makes for a great case here. We don’t even talk about her skin tone, or what is likely highlights due to lighting used during portraiture and the isolation or lack of. Those would be the first things post-processed by photographers. Even the Sfumato technique used appears to have been using the same lighting.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM

3,980 posts, read 2,580,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Sorry about that. Hence I redirected the discussion to a more appropriate thread.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I feel that more painters have made attempts to mimic the reality in front of them than photographers who like to present the reality as they saw it. Even “Monalisa” makes for a great case here. We don’t even talk about her skin tone, or what is likely highlights due to lighting used during portraiture and the isolation or lack of. Those would be the first things post-processed by photographers. Even the Sfumato technique used appears to have been using the same lighting.
True but photographs that are hung as art, esp. in the home aren't always so critically critiqued.

BUT that is not what I wanted to talk about in this thread! I am finished with this discussion. It is no longer fun.

You have been respectful in many ways here. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Well, to be honest it's been an awful long time since I used film... :-)

But, what I really want to say is that it turns out that indeed what you want to discuss is not technology, but philosophy! I think that's cool too!

I've never really thought about what makes a photo look like a painting (I can't draw or paint, and have never wanted to emulate it with photography myself). But there are any number of concepts (even technical ones, but we can avoid those) which artist who work with paint have developed that also apply to photography. Some of those are things that photographers rarely ever seem to think about or talk about... and it might be more interesting if we did!

All of my life I looked at what Pablo Picasso did, and simply didn't understand at all... until the Internet allowed me to see some specific examples of his work, and correlate those with some other philosophical concepts. And one day something went Bingo! And while I wouldn't kid anyone that I understand Picasso in the same vein that someone with a Master's of Fine Arts does, the main ideas make sense now!

The idea of course is that a picture is actually a communications media, and what we do is encode our message into the graphics. Picasso found a way to reduce the entropy in his art. That is, his method of encoding carries more information than a traditional painting does. It's also a complex and very difficult bit of encryption he does to get lower entropy! But each thing on the painting is a symbol of much more than just the obvious. The viewer fills in the blanks. (And when asked why he put an eye on someone's shoulder instead of where it should be, he suggested that he thought that eye was important (as a symbol, not necessarily as a eye) and wanted people to notice it...)

So... have you ever thought about the philosophy of reducing the entropy in a photograph as a way of making your message more terse, and thus hopefully more clear and less likely to be misunderstood by a viewer? Actually, do you take pictures in the first place with the thought of exactly what it will communicate, and how, with viewers?

I have, but I've never figured out a way to implement any technique from Picasso's work, only the philosophy itself...
This is not on topic either!

Editing to add... well, it is kind of topic but I haven't really wanted deep discussions. Maybe I am talking philosophical but really, I only wanted to play with my camera.

Best wishes everyone. I have asked this to be closed. Thanks.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 04-26-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
The original topic of this thread is Photographs that look like paintings

The poster asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I'm working to create painting like photographs in the field, not on the computer. I wonder if anyone has techniques or ways they do this. I have been working with clouds and later when I can travel, clouds and mountains.

Here is one that I took not knowing it looked so artsy. What do you think? Do you tale photos, hoping to look like paintings?
Quote:
It is not luck. Sorry. Lighting can vary from point to point. Yes, you have to have a good day for the photograph but that is with every photo.

I am talking about making the photograph artistic without using software. Not wanting to go in depth. You can do that. Just do it on another thread. Not mine. Thanks!
Quote:
True but photographs that are hung as art, esp. in the home aren't always so critically critiqued.

BUT that is not what I wanted to talk about in this thread! I am finished with this discussion. It is no longer fun.

You have been respectful in many ways here. Thank you.
Quote:
This is not on topic either!

Editing to add... well, it is kind of topic but I haven't really wanted deep discussions. Maybe I am talking philosophical but really, I only wanted to play with my camera.

Best wishes everyone. I have asked this to be closed. Thanks.
This thread has drifted way off topic, too many times and is closed...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-24-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography