Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:06 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times

Advertisements

I like the first one the best and I will give you my reasons.

The first image has a 'warm' appeal to it.

The second image the fence posts are not as well detailed as the first image.

The third image is just to grainy or noisy for my tastes.

I have to admit Nephler ALL of your images are so striking, I haven't seen one yet that hasn't made me gasp!

Well the B&W is the first.. that I have seen.

You have a great eye for photography; I've said that before.

Good job (as always).

Old 09-17-2011, 06:35 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Thanks Sity. I normally don't care for grainy images, but playing around I sort of liked this, not sure why though.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Here is an example where editing is essential and.. .. there are no subtle differences -

A customer approached me one day and said ... Can yu make this look like new? Sure I replied; that is simple - to prove my point, I handed this photograph over to a 50 year old woman who had never used a computer or done graphix in her life. I spoke 4 sentences to her. She followed the simple steps. It took her 8 hours to accomplish this 'miracle'. She had a lot of fun. Especially when her friends were surprised that she did it they were so pleased with the results.

Four simple sentences -

Zoom in as far as you can with the magnifying tool

sample a 'shade' of grey with the eyedropper tool

Paint that area in to match the surrounding area

Zoom out to check your work.

Yes editing is essential to learn & master and there is nothing hard or difficult to understand.

I like simple.. "Simple" is easy to understand and comprehend!!
-or- You could of just told them to use a scanner with digital ice or similar tech .

If you're unfamiliar with this tech it does two scans, the first is regular scan and the second uses infrared. The infrared scan picks up physical imperfections on the surface of the image that can by minute as fingerprints. What is important here is it can isolate the the exact problem areas and hand it off to the software to fix.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
interesting comments on RAW vs JPEG use

jshg123 comments on IAmA travel photographer who shot all the photos for the BBC's 'Human Planet' series. AMAA

Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Good one, fellow Redditor.

The very first argument...

"The only time I would shoot RAW is if I am in an incredibly contrasty situation and I want to see some detail in the sky for example, or a shadow."

...describes the situation I consider useful for RAW, and to reduce risks. In fact, my extensive use of RAW came while being the official photographer for a major family event, which involved some harsh indoor lighting conditions (a ceiling full of fluorescent lamps would do that), the wall colors, and even the "matching" chairs and table cloths, and I had just bought the camera. I wasn't exactly fun going through nearly 350 pictures I took that day. Fortunately, a lot of pictures turned out right without the need for working with RAW (even in RAW setting, I usually go, RAW + JPEG).

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Good one, fellow Redditor.

The very first argument...

"The only time I would shoot RAW is if I am in an incredibly contrasty situation and I want to see some detail in the sky for example, or a shadow."

...describes the situation I consider useful for RAW, and to reduce risks. In fact, my extensive use of RAW came while being the official photographer for a major family event, which involved some harsh indoor lighting conditions (a ceiling full of fluorescent lamps would do that), the wall colors, and even the "matching" chairs and table cloths, and I had just bought the camera. I wasn't exactly fun going through nearly 350 pictures I took that day. Fortunately, a lot of pictures turned out right without the need for working with RAW (even in RAW setting, I usually go, RAW + JPEG).
I can see very obvious difference in detail between my RAW and my .jpeg shots. The in camera .jpeg editor simply isn't on par with what's possible in the PS .RAW editor, the .RAW based pictures end up with far more detail and looking far better than the inferior in camera .jpeg pictures, with or without editing to them.

I was thinking of putting some before and after photos in this thread, but then I realized that I didn't have any, I only have photo vs. digital art work... allegedly.

Last edited by TheViking85; 09-20-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Although this thread seems interesting and informative to some; I know for a fact; Some people new to photography can't even begin to grasp what the heck is going on here.

Photography is all about creating an image using a camera.

this thread is all about "finger painting" 101

If you cannot create an image that looks great; straight out of the camera

YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!

I just had to put my 2 cents in - due to the many messages I have just received.
I guess all those silly photographers who have spent countless hours in the darkroom were doing it all wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography