Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
I think what ILNC is saying is that we should only be able to vote for one picture in both rounds, unlike the last contest where we could vote for all of them in the first round if we chose to.
YES! That is was I am saying, one vote in both rounds. I agree that with that many pictures two rounds are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
It's still only 1 picture, which is hard to chose out of 30 good ones. I'll say that first round can be limited to 4 options only.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
The only thing that's been bothering me about these contests is the fact that many entrants overlook the rule about using recent photos, and not something from your archives.

Could we please stick to this rule? In previous contests I've had pictures I would have loved to submit, but they weren't recent. It's a bit disconcerting to follow the rules and not post something, only to see a lot of people post old shots anyway.

If that's not possible, I'll go back to my corner and observe from the sidelines.
THANK YOU, Claire, I thought I was the only one who noticed that! But I have been trying to tone down my sour grapes image.

Please folks, the term "recent" does not mean 2006 or even 2007. It should mean since we announce the theme, but I would be willing to let it include all pics taken in the past 30 days or so.

I would like to see the rules NAIL down what we mean by "recent" pictures.

I believe the overall quality of the picture should determine the winner, and not just those taken with the 9 MP or higher cameras. So, what's it gonna be ILNC?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
THANK YOU, Claire, I thought I was the only one who noticed that! But I have been trying to tone down my sour grapes image.

Please folks, the term "recent" does not mean 2006 or even 2007. It should mean since we announce the theme, but I would be willing to let it include all pics taken in the past 30 days or so.

I would like to see the rules NAIL down what we mean by "recent" pictures.

I believe the overall quality of the picture should determine the winner, and not just those taken with the 9 MP or higher cameras. So, what's it gonna be ILNC?
Well I have decided to let Alpha pick the next theme. You brought up a good point redbird about the quality of the picture. Taking into thought the exposer, the composition. But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,561 times
I had actually thought "recent" meant within the last few months... I'll go with whatever everyone decides the time frame is. I'm flexible. For the first rounds and final round, I liked the way it went with the picking the ones you liked in the first round and then only one in the final round. It seemed a good way to narrow the field.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Couple of things for ya'll to think about and comment on and we'll get on with the next contest.

1-As far as the 'recent' pictures, for the next contest we'll say the picture should be taken AFTER April 1, 2008. But I am putting you guys on notice that I have no way or intention of policing that rule. This is just for fun contest. So we're on the honor system. So please, no DMs like 'That's a rosary throated double back hummingbird and they are only in Slo-po-kin in October!' OK? I mean if we can't do this and remain friends and retain our dignity then let's just call it a day and chalk the contests up to history. Deal?

2-For the sake of the future contests and the integrity of the process, I am instituting a restriction on repeat winners. My questions to you guys are:
a-How long should the restriction last (1 contest between wins, 2 contests...etc)?
b-For the previous winner(s), what role can they play in the current contest to keep them involved? I'm thinking being able to submit a picture but not having a poll option for their pic. Also, how about they get 2 extra votes in the current contest...maybe 3???? That would have to be done manually from my side, but I can do it. Maybe they decide tie-breakers??? HELP!!!
3-How about flowers for the next contest? Or would you guys rather a more general 'spring'?

EDIT: Also, I'm changing the title of this thread to attract more posters.....

Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
I don't think previous contest winners should have to sit the next contest out, for the simple fact that this is supposed to be kept for fun. While some of us are a little more "amateur" than others, or have better cameras, or have extraordinary scenery in their own back yards.... it still takes away from the fun by making it mandatory that a past winner can't participate in the next one. OTOH, I have to say this, the more "amateur" the photographer, the less chances of winning when professional-like pictures are submitted, (not that there's anything wrong with pro-like pictures) .... because it's all for fun after all.

Flowers? Spring hasn't quite sprung in my City as of yet. The best I could give is trees with no leaves, or dead grass.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,341 times
Quote:
Flowers? Spring hasn't quite sprung in my City as of yet. The best I could give is trees with no leaves, or dead grass.
I'm 600 miles north of you, we still have close to a foot of snow on the ground in places....suppose I could take pics of water running down the street beside the dirty snow banks LOL!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
I'm 600 miles north of you, we still have close to a foot of snow on the ground in places....suppose I could take pics of water running down the street beside the dirty snow banks LOL!
North of me? ... as in The Mother Country?

While the snow is all gone here, the trees are budding, the grass is growing. Not anything that would be a "winning picture" though if I can't use a picture of mine from before April 1st, 08.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
how about "signs of spring" ? (the pics of melting snow running down the street would fit that theme!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography