Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times

Advertisements

Some of the newer computers are now shipping with the Vista 64-bit version, of which some software programs do have a problem with it (compared to the 32-bit version). But if you have the newer versions of photo software it won't be a problem. My Photoshop CS4 and Paint Shop Pro X2 work fine on Vista 64-bit. Photoshop Elements 7.0 also does not have an issue if you go that route.

That being said, Vista CAN be irritating at times. If you use Explorer ("computer) to view your photos, you have an odd yellowish tint to the background and whites which no one seems to have figured out how to fix yet. There are also the "safety" features where when you try to do things it ask you, "are you sure?"... "really sure??" "are you really really reallllly sure????" before it lets you do it.

On the plus side, Vista (for me) has not crashed or stalled out even one time. XP would do that, and even OSX (Mac) would do it at work. Vista hasn't crashed yet even the first time, so that's a plus. They are also about to release "service pack 2" for Vista which will [hopefully] solve a lot of the minor buggy things that irritate folks. Of course, if things get too irritating for you, just buy the Windows 7 upgrade later this year and install that on top of the Vista machine and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
Seems to me that as soon as Microsoft gets its new operating system working good they come out with another new one with more problems and here we go again!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
My husband said it can be uninstalled and replaced with XP. IDK how, if I find a link on "how to" I'll post it for you..... I might need to change from Vista myself.
Thanx, I almost ordered a nice 16" Toshiba laptop on ShopNBC. Thinking of Vista problems stopped me from dialing in! I have been waiting for a good deal on either a Toshiba or HP.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:39 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,218,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Thanx, I almost ordered a nice 16" Toshiba laptop on ShopNBC. Thinking of Vista problems stopped me from dialing in! I have been waiting for a good deal on either a Toshiba or HP.
So far I'm having no problems with viewing my pictures with the Vista. I have the HP Pavilion Entertainment PC. I've been working on making slideshows.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
So far I'm having no problems with viewing my pictures with the Vista. I have the HP Pavilion Entertainment PC. I've been working on making slideshows.
Nice laptop choice! I was looking at one of those also! Also like the HP Touch Screen desktop. Still deciding. Glad you are not having any problems with the photos.
Waiting for a better price on this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV973...6146444&sr=8-6

Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,900,308 times
Quote:
IDK if I'll be using the webcam, but how well does the audio recording work? That's one thing I'll definately need to work great.
I've never done any audio recording but haven't have any problems with the audio in general.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I've never done any audio recording but haven't have any problems with the audio in general.
Now that I have the laptop, I've tried out the audio recording and it seems fine. Although, I think I may have to invest in a plug-in microphone to pick up public speeches and etc.

I noticed that when I have music playing and I'm working with pictures, the songs kind of stutter. So I generally won't listen to music off the computer while I'm working.

I do like how I can instantly fix photos from the picture viewer. That's very handy.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Nice laptop choice! I was looking at one of those also! Also like the HP Touch Screen desktop. Still deciding. Glad you are not having any problems with the photos.
Waiting for a better price on this one.
Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV9730US 17.0-inch Entertainment Laptop (AMD Turion 64 X 2 Dual Core TL-64 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) Radiance: Electronics
I have never had any problems with HP stuff. I know mine was a little pricey (though I'm not comfortable writing the price out online), but I am happy with what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography