Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,193,199 times

Advertisements

So my current tripod bit the dust (a cheap promaster 6300). I went cheap on a tripod initially cause I didn't have much of a budget (it cost $60). Now I'm ready to put some money into a better one. Looking to go with a ballhead this time. Also need it to be able to support canon 40d with 100-400mm lens, sometimes heavier as I may rent a longer lens from time to time. Probably looking around $350 budget, maybe a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
So my current tripod bit the dust (a cheap promaster 6300). I went cheap on a tripod initially cause I didn't have much of a budget (it cost $60). Now I'm ready to put some money into a better one. Looking to go with a ballhead this time. Also need it to be able to support canon 40d with 100-400mm lens, sometimes heavier as I may rent a longer lens from time to time. Probably looking around $350 budget, maybe a little more.
awesome tripod for the price of under $60 and will take a heavy lens! great for outdoors as it is fairly light weight too. Manfrottos are great but $$ for lightweight. (I have a Manfrottos for indoor work...

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,2073.html

Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
I used to use a Slik Professional tripod set and loved it. It handled everything I could mount on it and was as solid as a rock (Up to a 500mm f4 lens I borrowed once). I've used Bogen, Manfrotto, Vanguard, Tilt-all, and several others. For me personally, I liked the Slik best with the Vanguard coming in a close second. (Manfrotto, Gitzo and Bogen are all part of the same manufacturing group now). Years ago when I wasn't using the ol' trusty film camera much I gave my Bogen & Slik to my sister because she was stating to do a lot of weddings. My Vanguard had met an untimely end at a Motocross track and I think I sold the Manfrotto. At least I hope I did because I haven't the faintest idea what I did with it anymore. That left me with an ancient Tilt-all that I didn't figure I could even give away. It has actually served me quite well now that I have gotten back into Photography.

Don't discount Vanguard because they produce some of the real low-end tripods. They also make some very nice top end models. I have been looking at a local camera shop and they have a nice pro model that comes with a rather smooth ballhead for just under $200 including a storage bag and tripod mounted shoulder strap

Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
I recently got me a used Manfrotto ball-head tripod from Amazon and I absolutely love it! Its not a high end model, but still a great tripod. I asked my Nikon D80 group on Flickr what they all recommended, and Manfrotto was mentioned most. Also got many saying the Silk tripod Bydand mentioned.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
by all means check Craigslist in surrounding area also...I picked up a top of the line Manfrotto with head...for half of what it was worth...as she was selling off her late husbands (prof. photographer) equipment and just wanted it gone...got lots of lens filter too for a little money!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
I LOVE Craigslist. I have scored some great buys in the last year or so. Haven't come across a good tripod yet, but I will.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
I love my Bogen with ball head. I also use the three handled head on it too with a much heavier cameras. Both a Canon 1D Mark II and a 4x5 large format film camera. Rock solid and no shake.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,878 times
My current tripod is the Giottos MT7251 which had been replaced by the MT8351.

FWIW, when you are looking at tripods, I would suggest going to a camera store in your area to actually work with the tripod. Bring your current gear and test out the mounts and the tripod. Below are some issues to consider:

1) Does the tripod allow independent settings of height and stretch for each leg? This is especially useful when setting up on rocky outcroppings or very tight positions around trees.

1a) Akin to this is how stable is the camera and lens in oddball positions?

2) Are the legs locked with twist locks or snap locks? The twist locks reduce the bulkiness of the tripod and tend to be quieter, but the snap locks allow for faster deployment. Depending upon what you are shooting, one or the other may be better.

3)When the legs are fully extended, is the camera at eye level or above? I, for one, prefer to have the camera positioned higher than my eyes. This is helpful when I'm doing moonshots and other photos where I need to long exposures and also need to take time in focusing the subject.

4) How heavy is the tripod without a camera and lens on it?

I'd also suggest making sure the tripod has the right type of mounting screw for your camera.

As for ball heads, I also like the Giottos ball-head line because they have interchangeable parts and can be customized in a wide range of ways. not just for field use, but in the studio as well. Just be aware of how the lens is to be mounted on the tripod. You want to make certain that when you setting up the lens, you can slide the fastening plate on with no obstructing or problem.

GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment

Hope this helps!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,193,199 times
Thanks for the responses.

From some of the articles I've read today I feel like I have to spend $1000+ for a decent setup.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Thanks for the responses.

From some of the articles I've read today I feel like I have to spend $1000+ for a decent setup.
FWIW, the Giottos setup I bought a little over a year ago for $310. At Adorama, they are still selling the MT7251 for $114.95. One ball-head I've used is the MH1302655 and that is priced at $129.95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography