Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Also since White Americans are the majority, then they do in fact bear more of the responsiblity in regards to racist behavior in that they are the downtrodders and have historically reaped the benefits of racism in this country.

That sounds like a "blanket statement" to me.

That way of thinking is ignorant, narrow-minded and stereotypical.

In essence you are saying that white people = racist. Not at all accurate IN THIS DAY & AGE.
No...read again please. No where did I say "all whites are racist". What I said implies that in regards to racist behavior, Whites have a different share of the responsibility as compared to other minorities. If they do not engage in racist behavior, then OBVIOUSLY this does not apply.

Let me put this in different terms; either a man or woman can be guilty of domestic violence. However men who engage in domestic violence are treated and viewed more harshly than women. Now, does this in any way come across as saying "All men beat their wives/girlfriends"?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times
Quote:
If you actually do care about having serious, factual discussions of these issues...
The FACTS, shown through statistics, actually do back up the OP's comment.

I for one never took the OP's statement to imply that EVERY Black person engages in such behavior. If someone did, then that was actually even MORE silly.

It's also a FACT that shootings and crime in particular increases when the weather gets warm.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I for one never took the OP's statement to imply that EVERY Black person engages in such behavior. If someone did, then that was actually even MORE silly.
I agree that a reasonable person would conclude that the relevant statement was an example of hyperbole being used for rhetorical effect, and not something one should take literally.

Which then makes the poster uttering that statement responsible for choosing to evoke that rhetorical effect. In other words, you can't grossly exaggerate like that and then claim there was no purpose to your exaggeration, and that all you really intended to do was to make a plain statement of fact, but somehow you inadvertently ended up engaging in hyperbole instead. That makes no sense.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree that a reasonable person would conclude that the relevant statement was an example of hyperbole being used for rhetorical effect, and not something one should take literally.

Which then makes the poster uttering that statement responsible for choosing to evoke that rhetorical effect. In other words, you can't grossly exaggerate like that and then claim there was no purpose to your exaggeration, and that all you really intended to do was to make a plain statement of fact, but somehow you inadvertently ended up engaging in hyperbole instead. That makes no sense.
Was it hyperbolic? Possibly. But, I quite clearly clarified my statement and provided statistical evidence to back up the basic sentiment behind it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Was it hyperbolic? Possibly.
Of course it was. It is pointless to keep suggesting it is even possible it was anything else but hyperbole.

Like I said, a reasonable person would conclude you were exaggerating for some rhetorical effect,. But now you are denying that, and you want us to believe it was all just an innocent mistake, and you really meant to say something different.

Oh well--we can't put you on a lie detector, so I guess that is all there is to say.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It was a silly, hyperbolic, offensive overgeneralization, regardless of your intentions. If you actually do care about having serious, factual discussions of these issues, maybe next time you will think a bit more carefully about what you are writing.
Ok...ok. I apologize. How's about the next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll buy you a beer to make everything right? I'm easy to spot (I'll be wearing a white hood). You can't miss me.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
I access KDKA and PPG news online everyday and it seems like everyday there are reports of shootings . I'm fairly new to this area so its a little disconcerting.

To be fair it seems to be concentrated in a couple of areas. Wexford/Mccandless/Upper St Claire are some areas which don't seem to have these incidents.

Has it always been like this? Or has there been a marked increase lately?

Shootings and violent child abuse are popular crimes in the Pittsburgh region. Get used to it. Oh, and the gangs are back.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Ok...ok. I apologize. How's about the next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll buy you a beer to make everything right? I'm easy to spot (I'll be wearing a white hood). You can't miss me.
There is a barbershop in my area full of ancient 'Burghers I visited exactly once--your sense of humor would fit right in there (ask them what they think of black people winning the lottery).

Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM

362 posts, read 918,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
No...read again please. No where did I say "all whites are racist". What I said implies that in regards to racist behavior, Whites have a different share of the responsibility as compared to other minorities. If they do not engage in racist behavior, then OBVIOUSLY this does not apply.

Let me put this in different terms; either a man or woman can be guilty of domestic violence. However men who engage in domestic violence are treated and viewed more harshly than women. Now, does this in any way come across as saying "All men beat their wives/girlfriends"?
Look obviously I took liberties with your statement and yes, I did put words in your mouth. Why? To get your attention. I TOTALLY disagree with your "attitude" that since whites are the majority of the population in this country that whites as a people automatically bear more responsibility for racist behavior. What? Talk about backing someone in a corner just because of their race.

I will state my position again regarding this issue. A racist is a racist is a racist regardless of color, it's an individual thing and an individual's CHOICE to act out in such a manner, regardless of their majority or minority population in our country.

Blanket and stereotypical statements do you, me others a great disservice with less that positive outcomes.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post

I will state my position again regarding this issue. A racist is a racist is a racist regardless of color, it's an individual thing and an individual's CHOICE to act out in such a manner, regardless of their majority or minority population in our country.
Yes, a racist is a racist; but White people will bear greater negative responsibilities for being racist since they are members of the oppressing culture. Pretty simple to understand.

It is a double standard; but our world is filled with double standards. That is how society is set up. Getting all bent up out of shape over it is like getting bent out of shape over the fact that Paris Hilton doesn't do jail time like everyone else whenever she gets a DUI. She is rich and famous; the rules are different. Same with White people vs. Black people....the rules are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh