Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 AM

49 posts, read 190,390 times

Advertisements

My husband was mowing the lawn at the property we have a contract on. He had to mow the lawn for the perc test, it was getting way to high. (no one lives at the property, tear down home) At the back of the property he found a tombstone. The house we currently own has a tombstone of a cat at the back of our property. Our crazy neighbor who owns a town home buried her cat on common ground. I was sick to my stomach yesterday upon my husband telling me we have a grave at the new land. I am feeling a bit like what the heck, we move to Pittsburgh and one animal tombstone and now this, a person's tombstone. I am thinking of getting the land blessed, what are thoughts? Anyone else have this happen to them, is this common in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
That's creepy, yet awesome. I've never heard of anyone around here stumbling on a tombstone.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
The pet thing I have heard about before, but never a person.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Yeah, I stumbled on the cat one when we were unknowingly on her tombstone looking at my property. The day after we closed is when the crazy woman took off all the leaves and we then had seen a memorial for her cat. It is illegal to bury an animal like that, especially when it is not on your land. She is absolutely nuts this woman that I live by. She is one of the reasons we are buying new land, only to find a different type of headstone at the land we have a contract on. I am starting to wonder what the heck.......

Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,435 times
Interesting. You should probably check your homeowners policy to see if you have coverage for zombie outbreaks. Your property would be at high risk.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugatu View Post
interesting. You should probably check your homeowners policy to see if you have coverage for zombie outbreaks. Your property would be at high risk.

lol!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,438 times
It's not common, but it is perfectly legal (as long as it's a certain number of feet from any natural water). In order to remove it however, you'd need to get a court order for disinterment. Once someone is "resting in peace", it's supposed to remain that way unless there's a decent reason for removal.
I'm not so sure I follow why you'd get it blessed however. The grave was probably consecrated when the burial took place.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
How old is the tombstone? A lot of family plots on the ancient homestead are around the area. I know Cranberry has lots -- some of them I'm sure had old wooden markers that dissappeared with time and have been developed over.

I'm not sure if this would help -- but even though there are ghost hunters that talk about haunted graveyards, my thought (and others think the same) is why would they? Ghosts would go where they died tragically or lived happily to haunt, not where they were planted.

Also another thing to check -- sometimes things happen at graveyards. I once stayed at an inn whose main walkway was made from old headstones. When I asked about it, the graveyard they came from had a large washout flood, and the town ended up abandoning the site and moving the graves that were left. These headstones were so old and had no graves to belong to, and no relatives that cared anymore, so she bought them.

Now these I could see as being visited from beyond, because it's awful hard to walk on these things and not think about those people. I know we did.

And if the stone is more recent, I agree with the previous poster -- they would have had to get permission, so there has to be a record somewhere.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
If you haven't closed on that property yet, I'd hold off to see if that grave may cause a problem. You want to make sure it's a buildable lot.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
How old is the tombstone?
My husband said it was triangle in shape, had a name but no date. Anyone know a time frame where this style was popular?
Quote:
I'm not so sure I follow why you'd get it blessed however. The grave was probably consecrated when the burial took place.
Well, I figure if it is the family that lived theirs grave, it probably was not blessed, the family lived on that block and I know the cousin. I am positive she does not know of the grave, so I doubt it was blessed. The home we are demolishing has a note on it by the county, it is not livable. Interesting.
Quote:
You should probably check your homeowners policy to see if you have coverage for zombie outbreaks. Your property would be at high risk.
Yeah, will look into that insurance... will need it, if you see a blonde zombie in the news next year,,, it is me... lol lol lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh