Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,926 times

Advertisements

Hello! My Husband and I along with our 14 years old and 10years old sons will be moving to area between Pittsburgh and California Pa. He new work at Leetsdale(PA 15056) and mine will be at California(PA 15419). We are looking for a good, safe area to live in.If possible a little more closer to California(Pa 15419) We're looking for a safe, family-oriented area. We will be renting for about the first 6 months to get acquainted with the area and then buy house. Can anyone please help?

When are you moving? in two weeks , 2010
Where are you coming from? Philadelphia
Why are you moving? Our new jobs
Where will you be working? @PA 15056 and PA 15419
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent for about 6 months to get acquainted first and then Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House - we are first time buyers.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Any - less than $1.2k/month. Good public school is a must.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? No pref

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with two child
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Would like to have a yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm,quiet, family-oriented

What do you want to be closest to? Like to be within 15 miles from California, Pa.Work.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? It would be nice to live with people of similar age,race - Mid 30s - Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I don't know a lot about the areas there. Lots of rural area. California is roughly an hour from Pittsburgh and a bit more to get to Leetsdale (though not necessary to pass through the city or the worst of the city commute traffic on the way). Where to go for public school will be the trick. The places where people have moved into Washington County from closer to Pittsburgh (e.g. Peters Township, etc.) tend to have decent schools but also has pushed the housing prices up a fair bit.

It's a tough split for the commutes. Even if you go 15 miles exactly in the direction you'd need to go to get to Leetsdale, it's still going to leave hubby with 40+ mile drive each way.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Wow...that's sort of a tough one (due to the separation of the two areas). I would say Jefferson Hills. You would have easy access to Rt. 43...which takes you right to California, PA. For you husband...he would have access to Rt. 51; which is a pain to drive...but it IS a major roadway in the area that leads towards Pittsburgh...and then eventually Leetsdale.

Also Jefferson Hills is a relatively good school district.

Peters Township is out of the county (Allegheny) so you get a break on taxes. But the commute from Peters to California is a pain IMHO (I work for California University at the Southpointe location in Cecil, Township...right by there...and sometimes I have to drive to the main campus). You would have easy access to I-79. To get to California, you would take I-79 south and then take I-70 east. To get to Leetsdale, you would take I-79 north and then get on Rt. 65.

Pittsburgh does not have a big Asian community. Most are in the South Hills or the city (by the universities).

Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Geographically, Washington, PA may make the most sense. However, it is roughly 28 miles from Washington to California, so for that to happen you would want to expand that drive from 15 miles.

Hubby could get to Leetsdale (roughly 40 miles) via Rt 79 -- probably the most preferable route from the south.

Also check these areas, though they too may fall outside the 15 mile requirement and make the drive a little harder for the hubby:

South Park Township
McMurray
Gastonville

Bentleyville, PA would fit your specific criteria.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Geographically, Washington, PA may make the most sense. However, it is roughly 28 miles from Washington to California, so for that to happen you would want to expand that drive from 15 miles.
Oh my...'duh moment'. I have no idea why I didn't think of Washington. True it defies the '15 mile' rule. But the commute to both places would be mostly highway. Navigating those back, non-highway roads to California (i.e. like from McMurray) may be closer, but take longer. Especially in the winter time!

Washington is a nice town. I am just not sure about their schools though or the number of Asians who live there.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 5,926 times
Thank you for all the advices. I do really appreciate it. Well.. there is not really 15 miles rule but I just want to drive less than 30 minutes each way. For consideration my work start in the early morning hours and will finish around 3:00 p.m. But like I mention before, good school for kid is a must.
Thanks Again.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Oh my...'duh moment'. I have no idea why I didn't think of Washington. True it defies the '15 mile' rule. But the commute to both places would be mostly highway. Navigating those back, non-highway roads to California (i.e. like from McMurray) may be closer, but take longer. Especially in the winter time!

Washington is a nice town. I am just not sure about their schools though or the number of Asians who live there.
Not sure about the schools or Asian population either, L0L

However, just thought of this -- there may be elements of the Asian population who are affiliated with Washington & Jefferson college, who live in Washington...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh