Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 AM

25 posts, read 132,028 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I currently live in San Francisco (Pacific Heights neighborhood, for those familiar with the area) and are strongly considering relocating to Pittsburgh. We have a number of reasons for considering the move:

1. My parents live in Pa (State College) and we would like to be close because we will be having children within the next few years.

2. My wife's parents live in Europe and living on the East Coast would cut about 8 hours off our transit time. (We visit frequently.)

3. We understand that Pittsburgh has a significant cultural and arts community (Ballet, Symphony, and Opera).

4. The trip from Pittsburgh to New York is cheap and quick.

5. We understand that taxes are higher in Pittsburgh, but the price of real estate in SF is outrageous. We currently live in a (small) one bedroom apartment (condo) at about 600k. It appears you can buy a small house in Pittsburgh for half that amount.

6. We understand that there are some good public schools in (near) Pittsburgh. Good schools in SF start at 30k.

7. We are accustomed to urban living and Pittsburgh appears to have a charming (if not so thriving) downtown.

I am a chiropractor and my wife works in finance (Silicon Valley). We are both independent businesspersons, so the (poor) job market would not affect us directly, but could certainly affect us indirectly (after all, we still need patients/clients).

Considering our circumstances, what neighborhoods would you recommend (for living and for practicing chiropractic)?

We were thinking of:

1. Shadyside/Squirrel Hill: This seems to be the closest to our current neighborhood (Pacific Heights), but we would still have the burden of private schools.

2. Downtown: My wife loves living downtown (we've lived in downtown San Francisco) and it seems that Pittsburgh is trying to revitalize this area.

3. Mt. Lebanon/Upper St. Clair: The houses seem very affordable (we'd like to cut our expenses and downgrade to a 300k place) and we understand this is where the good schools are.

Any advice re: these neighborhoods (or any others) or any other helpful information you can provide would be VERY much appreciated.

Thank you!

Best,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Actually in Pittsburgh you get a nice house for 150K- for 300K a very large house.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
I don't believe you would need private schools in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill as those neighborhoods pull to some decent city schools. Plus, there is always the magnet program.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfleisher View Post
Hello,

My wife and I currently live in San Francisco (Pacific Heights neighborhood, for those familiar with the area) and are strongly considering relocating to Pittsburgh. We have a number of reasons for considering the move:

1. My parents live in Pa (State College) and we would like to be close because we will be having children within the next few years.

2. My wife's parents live in Europe and living on the East Coast would cut about 8 hours off our transit time. (We visit frequently.)

3. We understand that Pittsburgh has a significant cultural and arts community (Ballet, Symphony, and Opera).

4. The trip from Pittsburgh to New York is cheap and quick.

5. We understand that taxes are higher in Pittsburgh, but the price of real estate in SF is outrageous. We currently live in a (small) one bedroom apartment (condo) at about 600k. It appears you can buy a small house in Pittsburgh for half that amount.

6. We understand that there are some good public schools in (near) Pittsburgh. Good schools in SF start at 30k.

7. We are accustomed to urban living and Pittsburgh appears to have a charming (if not so thriving) downtown.

I am a chiropractor and my wife works in finance (Silicon Valley). We are both independent businesspersons, so the (poor) job market would not affect us directly, but could certainly affect us indirectly (after all, we still need patients/clients).

Considering our circumstances, what neighborhoods would you recommend (for living and for practicing chiropractic)?

We were thinking of:

1. Shadyside/Squirrel Hill: This seems to be the closest to our current neighborhood (Pacific Heights), but we would still have the burden of private schools.

2. Downtown: My wife loves living downtown (we've lived in downtown San Francisco) and it seems that Pittsburgh is trying to revitalize this area.

3. Mt. Lebanon/Upper St. Clair: The houses seem very affordable (we'd like to cut our expenses and downgrade to a 300k place) and we understand this is where the good schools are.

Any advice re: these neighborhoods (or any others) or any other helpful information you can provide would be VERY much appreciated.

Thank you!

Best,
Scott
Scott -- I live in Oakland Ca but both hubby and I are FROM Pittsburgh.

You should check out South Side, but frankly, your living in Pacific Heights makes me think you'd be happier in Shadyside. Someone correct me if I am wrong -- but Shadyside would put you closer to the (so far) only Whole Foods and Trader Joes in Pittsburgh.

My impression of the South Side is rather like our Mission area -- skews younger, louder, lots of fun -- but not really where you'd want to bring up a family.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
I'd go for Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, given your situation. You won't have a child ready for public school for at least six years, even if your wife got pregnant today. If you love urban living, moving to the suburbs of Mount Lebanon or Upper St. Clair might be culture shock. Living in the city, you'll have years to scout out the various public and private school options available to you, and you can always move out to the suburbs when you have school-age kids, if necessary. Private schools in Pittsburgh aren't $30K per year, so you might find that to be a realistic option for you.
Just check the weather data. Pittsburgh's climate is rather different from San Francisco....

Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 AM

So far, so good...

It sounds like:

1. Shadyside is best recommended (I take it your school is dictated by your neighborhood - this is not the case in SF).

2. 300k is a reasonable price-point for a house (or condo in Shadyside).

3. Mt. Lebanon and Downtown are not on the radar...

Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
To add to the others' comments:

- The problem with downtown living in Pittsburgh is that it's still in an early stage. There have been talks for a real grocery store for a while now but I'm unsure as to when it will materialize. (I think there's a specialty market on the way in one of the highrises that are popping up but it likely won't be very useful for milk, bread and produce.)

- As far as public schools go, I've heard many times that Shadyside wasn't that great because it's Peabody High School territory, which is probably the worst high school in all of Pgh's school system. On the other hand in Squirrel Hill it's Taylor Allderdice, which is regarded as a pretty good school by most accounts. I'm not sure if this info is correct. (Of course since you don't have children yet, I take it it's only a long-term concern for you. There are probably very good elementary schools in Shadyside.)

Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks again for all the answers so far!

Shadyside was definitely our first thought (followed by Squirrel Hill). Then, a place downtown caught our eye (the Carlyle?). And finally, I was shocked (happily shocked) to see what you could buy in Mt. Leb for 300k. I know that these are three very different areas, but I want to live where I practice (chiropractic) and that's why I'm considering the children (although we have none yet) so early in my decision. By the way, I'm 34 and she's 29, if that helps at all...

Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfleisher View Post
Then, a place downtown caught our eye (the Carlyle?). .
The Carlyle looks like it will be really nice. DH and I went through the model during the TRAF.
But we would like to have a river view when we get a place right downtown.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM

We're going to be visiting this weekend and the Carlyle is on our list. Any other places we ought to consider? Do you believe Downtown will make a comeback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh