Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times

Advertisements

Software firm plans $7 million research center in region

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, another "high tech" company is going to be bringing 250 or more high paying jobs to the Pittsburgh area. The Southern California based company called "Smith Micro Software" even has the nerve to require 50,000 square feet of office space in Moon township and the North Hills.

Man, I miss the 80's - what's next, a new arena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:11 PM

346 posts, read 537,275 times
Don't scare me like that bro!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Just like with Marcellus gas - they might be bringing the jobs, but at the same time, they will also be bringing their own people.

They aren't coming here just for the cheap labor pool. They are coming here for the tax breaks.

If you take a look at what they did to Silicon Valley and Phoenix / Tempe Arizona, you will see that they come, get the tax break, fill their pockets full of money and when the going gets tough - they leave and then the towns that gets used to the easy money falls into a deep depression that is 10 times harder to get out of then the one we are in right now.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Most people that complain about Jobs in the Burgh are those with limited skill sets....and I agree the Burgh is pushing out the uneducated/Limited skills...its getting be like SF, Seattle, Boston where the uneducated are going to have an awful hard time in the Burgh....

Gone are days of the limited skills/good paying jobs only thing left are Government type positions (Postal worker, PAT, Garbage)

As well the Burgh is redefining its economy and setting up what types of industries will be the cornerstone i.e IT, Hi-Tech, Engineering, Bio-Med, Medical, Finance, Education, Green, Law outside of those industries you will probably need to relocate....

Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Just like with Marcellus gas - they might be bringing the jobs, but at the same time, they will also be bringing their own people.
From the article:

"Employees will start work by the end of the year, and the company will target local universities for new hires, said Mr. Smith, a Grove City College graduate."

For Honest Bob, the world must be a very dark and gloomy place, indeed.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Speaking of how Pittsburgh is doing employment-wise:

Quote:
By the second quarter, all but 13 metropolitan areas (Albuquerque, Boise, Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, Little Rock, Memphis, Ogden, Palm Bay, Portland (ME), Providence, Provo, Sacramento, and San Diego) saw employment bounce back from its post-recession low. However, only 10 metropolitan areas (Augusta, Austin, Baltimore, Charleston, El Paso, Honolulu, McAllen, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Washington) regained more than a quarter of the jobs they had lost between their pre-recession high and their post-recession low.
Tracking Economic Recession and Recovery in America

If you click all the way through to the Pittsburgh profile, they have more rankings and charts. Out of 100 metros, we are #9 in terms of lowest percentage of job losses in the recession, and we are #15 in recent growth (so we were above average both going down and now coming back up). In fact at this point we are actually ahead of where we were at the same point after the 2001 recession (I'm guessing not a lot of places can say that).

Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Speaking of how Pittsburgh is doing employment-wise:

Tracking Economic Recession and Recovery in America

If you click all the way through to the Pittsburgh profile, they have more rankings and charts. Out of 100 metros, we are #9 in terms of lowest percentage of job losses in the recession, and we are #15 in recent growth (so we were above average both going down and now coming back up). In fact at this point we are actually ahead of where we were at the same point after the 2001 recession (I'm guessing not a lot of places can say that).
Thanks for sharing BrianTH! I think that's very good news!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Software firm plans $7 million research center in region

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, another "high tech" company is going to be bringing 250 or more high paying jobs to the Pittsburgh area. The Southern California based company called "Smith Micro Software" even has the nerve to require 50,000 square feet of office space in Moon township and the North Hills.

Man, I miss the 80's - what's next, a new arena?
LOL!! I know -what's da Burgh coming to anymore, anyway. This piece of news is just as bad as how the weather has been mostly sunshine here for the past 60 days. Man I can't take it anymore! Where did all the gray clouds go?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
By the way, here is an article explaining that the very reason a company like this would locate in the area is likely the local talent pool (from the same place that tipped me off to the Brookings report, by the way):

Burgh Diaspora - Economic Development From Geographic Mobility

The other thing to keep in mind about this sort of employer is that they tend to outsource lots of stuff--everything from janitorial to legal and so on. Meanwhile, these people spend some of their income in local restaurants, hiring local plumbers, and so forth. So the net increase in local jobs is likely some multiple of the number of people directly employed. Basically, it is rarely a bad thing for local employment to have a firm come in which will be exporting some good or service outside the region--that usually means more income coming into the region, and typically that income will find ways to employ people.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
From the article:

"Employees will start work by the end of the year, and the company will target local universities for new hires, said Mr. Smith, a Grove City College graduate."

For Honest Bob, the world must be a very dark and gloomy place, indeed.
I swear, Honest Bob is the " Debbie Downer" of CDs Pittsburgh forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh