Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 18,102 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Cranberry beginning of the year. I don't really know much about Pittsburgh or its sorrounding town so any info would help me out. My husband will working in Cranberry Township but we don't necessarily have to live there. We would prefer a 30-45 minute commute. We are also a young family(expecting out 3rd child in February). A good school district is our top priority. We will be renting for the first year until we get to know the area well enought to buy a home. Any good catholic schools in the area? Once we find a school that we like, we will base our rental property around that. Sometimes you find a good community but the school system is not up to par. Thank you guys for any information that you might be able to provide. Looking forward to moving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyah11203 View Post
We are moving to Cranberry beginning of the year. I don't really know much about Pittsburgh or its sorrounding town so any info would help me out. My husband will working in Cranberry Township but we don't necessarily have to live there. We would prefer a 30-45 minute commute. We are also a young family(expecting out 3rd child in February). A good school district is our top priority. We will be renting for the first year until we get to know the area well enought to buy a home. Any good catholic schools in the area? Once we find a school that we like, we will base our rental property around that. Sometimes you find a good community but the school system is not up to par. Thank you guys for any information that you might be able to provide. Looking forward to moving...
Cranberry is actually the "hot" suburb of the Pittsburgh area so you might want to check out living there. It has tons of new development and McMansion sub-developments. The schools are very good. It is actually a place that people are directed toward when they inquire about a good suburb that is a little ways from the city and with good amenities and schools.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:44 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
^^^ Agree

Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
Cranberry would be an excellent choice but Wexford, Franklin Park, McCandless or Marshall might be better choices if you want decent schools. North Allegheny ranks among one of the top 10 districts in Pennsylvania, albeit it is big. It's also next to Cranberry Township so your commute would be less than 15 minutes. Pine and Richland townships would also be good alternatives, both of those areas which is serviced by Pine-Richland School District, another decent (and smaller) school district. In addition, if you like shopping, you'd be within minutes of Ross Park Mall which is the most prestigious and comprehensive shopping center in the Pittsburgh area. I don't know about Catholic schools in particular but Sewickley Academy in nearby Sewickley is among the best private schools in the nation.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 11-28-2010 at 03:23 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
This would appear to be the Catholic grammar school in Cranberry: Saint Kilian Parish School - Welcome to SKPS!. I know absolutely nothing about it. I simply googled it.

And North Catholic High School is moving, or has moved, to Cranberry: North Catholic High to move to Cranberry for 2010-11 school year

Home - North Catholic High School

Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,173 times
Your best bet is to find a place in Butler County (Cranberry Township). The taxes in Allegheny County are much higher.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Pretty good info so far. Wanted to note that the areas mentioned can be tough for finding a rental single family. If you can squeeze into a townhouse at first you'll probably have a few more choices. Mostly all owner occupied in these areas; the few rentals command a premium.

I don't think North Catholic High has quite moved to the Cranberry area yet but it is at least in the works. Catholic school is reasonably popular in the wider Pittsburgh area though possibly less so in these north suburbs because the public schools are generally all good.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
I am not sure if you can place the Seneca Valley School District on a level anywhere near close to the North Allegheny, Pine-Richland, or Hampton School Districts. North Allegheny is regarded nationally as one of the best rated school districts in the country with its blue ribbon schools, large numbers of national merit scholars, and overwhelmingly high test scores. Pine-Richland would like to consider itself a smaller scale NA, but Blue Ribbon Status has eluded any of their schools. P-R is notable for their high test scores, numerous teacher awards (last year's national teacher of the year), and for its acclaimed inclusion programs for its special needs population. Hampton has the Blue Ribbon schools, the exceptional test scores, but on a smaller scale.

It is tough to consider a Catholic School in the Pittsburgh Diocese any longer, as the annual tuition is on par to what a parent might pay for a lesser cost state college tuition (plus, you still are paying taxes for the public school). I am hopeful that North Catholic can make it in Cranberry, as fewer Catholics can pay the tuition that it must charge in its current location. They are counting upon alumni endowments to help offset their rising costs, and this new location to attract more students to its declining numbers.

There is always going to be an argument about the cheaper taxes in Butler County vs Allegheny County. There is no dispute here, as a brand new house in Cranberry will cost less tax-wise than a brand new similar house in Allegheny County (but probably by not as much as you might think). Fifteen years ago we were in the crossroads of making the decision that you are about to make today. After much research, visiting the schools, etc., we chose North Allegheny.... one of our best decisions ever. My children received a world-class education for our $5000 annual tax bill.

You would be best to do your own research, with not only the schools, but for the community amenities, as well. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Fifteen years ago we were in the crossroads of making the decision that you are about to make today. After much research, visiting the schools, etc., we chose North Allegheny.... one of our best decisions ever. My children received a world-class education for our $5000 annual tax bill.
Plus, your children will never resent your having sent them to Catholic school.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:45 PM

9 posts, read 18,102 times
Thank you all for the information!! Very helpful and it will help me out with my own research. I know it snows there but how much snowfall do you guys get in a typical year?. Also as mentioned, we are having our third baby in Feb. Any good hospitals with a close proximity to Cranberry? We will be visiting in a few weeks and really looking forward to checking out the places that you guys have mentioned above(and more)....thx again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh