Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Yeah, recent history suggests that almost EVERYONE wants to move to a place where you need to drive everywhere. See: Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, et al.
Thankfully most American cities, including Sunbelt ones, are now increasing density nearer to their cores and investing in more transit-oriented developments. Nevertheless while I could conceivably live car-free in Pittsburgh (pending the severity of the upcoming PAT cuts) I think it would be nearly impossible to live that way in most Sunbelt metro areas, including Northern Virginia (outside the Beltway/I-495).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Driving everywhere is an American thing I can't possibly understand. In Europe people walk and have bikes. Every little physical activity helps us stay thin. Did you notice there no fat mail man in this country?
Today I drove (ironically) around more of the county to explore my new surroundings. I went through smaller older boroughs here like Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, Sharpsburg, and Aspinwall, and I was blown away by how quaint, friendly, and walkable these places were. Aspinwall in particular had to be one of the nicest small towns I've EVER been to---tan brick side streets, a charming Downtown business district, sidewalks, shade trees, and glorious older homes, 95% of which were in excellent condition. Sharpsburg was more weathered and gritty, but I'd still live there in a heartbeat. Dormont and Mt. Lebanon both made me drool as well. I don't understand how or why places like this are declining while soulless autocentric places in the outer suburbs/exurbs are exploding in growth. It's like everyone wants as much space around them as possible to wall themselves off from society whereas in older and more established areas people always have been and still are interested in getting to know those who live beside them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,087,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I don't understand how or why places like this are declining while soulless autocentric places in the outer suburbs/exurbs are exploding in growth. It's like everyone wants as much space around them as possible to wall themselves off from society whereas in older and more established areas people always have been and still are interested in getting to know those who live beside them.

Yep, it befuddles me as well. The outer exurbs absorb at least 80% of the positive population growth of the region, outside of downtown and a few other popular city neighborhoods. This spells doom for the already inefficient road network that is going to have to have to support 100% of these new people.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Yep, it befuddles me as well. The outer exurbs absorb at least 80% of the positive population growth of the region, outside of downtown and a few other popular city neighborhoods. This spells doom for the already inefficient road network that is going to have to have to support 100% of these new people.
...at the same time as PAT will be imploding. Great!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM

14,189 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Don't be afraid to explore some of the suburbs. Even the sprawl here is manageable compared to most major cities, and there are some good things out in the rest of the county. You don't have to do it every day, and besides, you have a fuel-efficient car already, so if you're seriously worried about your "carbon footprint," then you really wouldn't be making too big of one regardless.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,515,936 times
Quote:
Thankfully most American cities, including Sunbelt ones, are now increasing density nearer to their cores and investing in more transit-oriented developments. Nevertheless while I could conceivably live car-free in Pittsburgh (pending the severity of the upcoming PAT cuts) I think it would be nearly impossible to live that way in most Sunbelt metro areas, including Northern Virginia (outside the Beltway/I-495).

Today I drove (ironically) around more of the county to explore my new surroundings. I went through smaller older boroughs here like Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, Sharpsburg, and Aspinwall, and I was blown away by how quaint, friendly, and walkable these places were. Aspinwall in particular had to be one of the nicest small towns I've EVER been to---tan brick side streets, a charming Downtown business district, sidewalks, shade trees, and glorious older homes, 95% of which were in excellent condition. Sharpsburg was more weathered and gritty, but I'd still live there in a heartbeat. Dormont and Mt. Lebanon both made me drool as well. I don't understand how or why places like this are declining while soulless autocentric places in the outer suburbs/exurbs are exploding in growth. It's like everyone wants as much space around them as possible to wall themselves off from society whereas in older and more established areas people always have been and still are interested in getting to know those who live beside them.
Mt. Lebanon is not declining. Quite the contrary. Drive a bit more on 19S, past South Hills village mall. Upper st. clair is very nice, Bethel is nice too.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
It's pretty simple; Pittsburgh did not experience an horrific detraction like other cities did during the economic crisis because there was no boom here. And, now that things are starting to turn around, other areas will experience a boom again and things will continue to stagnate here.
I think this is the probable explanation. Pittsburgh simply stays steadier than many other cities, that's all.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Mt. Lebanon is not declining. Quite the contrary. Drive a bit more on 19S, past South Hills village mall. Upper st. clair is very nice, Bethel is nice too.
Mt. Lebanon:
1990 Population: 33,362
2000 Population: 33,017

Well, to be fair maybe Mt. Lebanon is "holding its own."

Old 12-02-2010, 03:57 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,165,439 times
Quote:
Mt. Lebanon:

I'd say that's fair since it is a very stable suburb that started out as a trolley suburb in the 1920's.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,906,923 times
Quote:
Driving everywhere is an American thing I can't possibly understand. In Europe people walk and have bikes. Every little physical activity helps us stay thin. Did you notice there no fat mail man in this country?
You should have seen the guy who delivered my mail most of the time I lived in Squirrel Hill. Not thin.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:26 PM

14,189 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Quote:
Mt. Lebanon:

It's worth remembering that the birth rate in the Pittsburgh area has fallen dramatically over the last 20 years, which explains why many suburbs are in zero-growth mode. If there aren't as many new kids to replace the old kids, then that's a drag on suburban population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh