Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Good for Google and that area, it's really cool to see that portion of the city grow even more than it has already.

But don't get it twisted about getting a job for Google, if you don't have CMU on your resume don't bother applying.
I believe the reason Google is here at all is because two CMU grads got it here. I don't have a problem with them hiring right out of CMU. Great to see some of the grads stay in Pittsburgh for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Google seems to have some interesting "perks" (I guess you could call it that.) They have rock climbing, pool tables, foosball other unorthodox activities to help with creativity.

Picasa Web Albums - Jobs at Google - Pittsburgh of...#

These may not work in most workplaces, but hopefully some of the other perks would work in other workplaces (the free food seems cool! as well asthe field trips.) They also have other on site services such an on site doctor.

Benefits - US jobs - Google

Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 PM

366 posts, read 944,432 times
The reason for those perks is because your job is your life. They want to do whatever they can to maximize your time at work. That is the reason for the "perks".

Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
The reason for those perks is because your job is your life. They want to do whatever they can to maximize your time at work. That is the reason for the "perks".
Actually no, Google is very well known for generous time off and telecommuting (working from home). Their status as "best place to work on planet Earth" is some of the greatest PR you can get, and they like it that way.

I worked for a software development company that had pool tables, ping pong tables, free food, and frequent gatherings and barbeques and that place had the highest work morale I've ever seen anywhere. I've seen first hand that keeping your employees happy and entertained does far more good than making them drones who show up for a paycheck.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Actually, I appreciate working for a company that treats its employees like their own family, so it's refreshing to see these "perks" that Google offers. As you all know I'm now working for the city's first Edible Arrangements location, and the tight-knit family that owns and operates the business makes us all feel proud, valued, and respected. On Christmas Eve they're treating us to Panera Bread for lunch, which I feel is a very nice gesture for them to eat into their profits a bit to keep morale high. A happy employee is a more productive employee, and happier employees will be less likely to call off or quit, which means less money in the long-run in training/development of new hires.

You can be a productive and efficient operation while also not being so "uptight". First and foremost an entrepreneur is obviously looking to generate a profit, but without a happy staff how can you best achieve that? I'm only making $10/hr., and I will have worked 10 days straight by Christmas Eve but I'm happy when I walk in for my shift. That's the way EVERY company SHOULD operate.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Actually no, Google is very well known for generous time off and telecommuting (working from home). Their status as "best place to work on planet Earth" is some of the greatest PR you can get, and they like it that way.

I worked for a software development company that had pool tables, ping pong tables, free food, and frequent gatherings and barbeques and that place had the highest work morale I've ever seen anywhere. I've seen first hand that keeping your employees happy and entertained does far more good than making them drones who show up for a paycheck.
Actually, Google is known in the IT community as a company where you get to choose which 16 hours a day you work, regardless of the perks. If that's your thing, it's great.

Why Google Employees Quit

Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, Google is known in the IT community as a company where you get to choose which 16 hours a day you work, regardless of the perks. If that's your thing, it's great.

Why Google Employees Quit
There are always some that don't like their workplace no matter what the job. For a few disgruntled employees to write some negative stuff really means nothing as a whole.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There are always some that don't like their workplace no matter what the job. For a few disgruntled employees to write some negative stuff really means nothing as a whole.
I'm well aware of that, and I only posted a link so people wouldn't think I was just making it up. I read the exact quote in a news magazine once, but of course I can't find it now. My spouse works in IT and it is well known in those circles that all the big companies have a similar culture of "choose which 16 hours you want to work".

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
I think that some of the perks that Google has could work in other workplaces (such as the field trips, the company doctor, food.) Those may help build morale in other workplaces. God knows how much money doctors ask for for just a simple office visit for a checkup. Where I work, we have crappy insurance, so that would be a huge plus for me.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 PM

122 posts, read 479,436 times
CMU? Central Michigan University?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh