Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM

440 posts, read 549,789 times

Advertisements

SO with all this talk about Google expanding thier offices, I was hoping someone could help me out. Does Google offer any NON-computer based jobs in thier Pittsburgh office (on anywhere) ? Meaning does every employee must have a computer based background to be considered for a job. I would think not however in the past every job listing (5-6years ago) required extensive computer programming even in marketing admin positions...

I would love to have a chance to work for Google, just have NO idea on how to get into the door or if it will even be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
You'd have to know someone for an Admin or other non-tech related job. Tech related jobs require top tier education and experience and I doubt they'd just throw out non-tech related positions all willy nilly. Just glancing at their openings here it looks like they're all tech related.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Just glancing at their openings here it looks like they're all tech related.
I haven't looked for a while, but they were aways Tech related, which is perfectly understandable and expected. However, I would imagine even the branch offices have some type of non-tech jobs in the building. I do agree with you Carl, you would need an inside person... Anyone out there want through out any suggestions???

Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I haven't looked for a while, but they were aways Tech related, which is perfectly understandable and expected. However, I would imagine even the branch offices have some type of non-tech jobs in the building. I do agree with you Carl, you would need an inside person... Anyone out there want through out any suggestions???
Wish I could help. My understanding is that Google Pittsburgh is a satellite tech office so all the admin/marketing/accounting/HR/whatever is done at their main office. I work at a tech company that has the exact same setup, the only dudes here are tech and we handle all the admin stuff ourselves.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
They posted for a couple of admin positions around the time they first moved over to Bakery Square. Not likely to come up often.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
I've seen some governmental liaison or similar type jobs listed by google, but I think those were out of DC

Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks for feedback...It re-enforced my own thoughts and opinons. Google is one of the few companies I really dig and respect thier viewpoints, cultures, projects. If anyone is going to track my everymove i rather have Google than others

Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
I know two people who work for Google. One is a techie guru Georgia Tech grad with a Master's and works at their main campus. The other is an English degree grad and is a network techie at a branch office. I have no idea how he managed to land that job.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
I have a friend who's an admin for a very senior person at Google here in Silicon Valley. She said the application process was tough. She had worked with him for years elsewhere and he requested she be his admin. My friend said she ended up having to hire someone to revamp her resume because Google didn't like the original version. They wanted something emphasizing her creativity and what made her different. She got the job and says it is a very intense place to work. I'm sure she is very well-compensated.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I would love to have a chance to work for Google, just have NO idea on how to get into the door or if it will even be possible.
Can you cook? Google is known for its fabulous employee cafeterias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh