Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM

41 posts, read 103,098 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're likely relocating this year for professional reasons and Pittsburgh is on the list of potential places (along with others - I'll be cross posting).

I'm not too familiar with the area and am wondering what we should consider. We don't have kids, but want to within the next few years and are looking for a laid-back city neighborhood, or a small town/suburb with a lively town center. As far as housing, we would be OK renting a 2-3 BR condo, or buying a 2-4 BR condo or house up to about $350k.

We lived in Somerville MA (just outside Boston, near Davis Square) and really loved it for its neighborhoods, GLBT-friendly vibe, and arts community. We also liked Amherst/Northampton (MA), Portland (ME), Burlington (VT), St. Paul (MN), and Ann Arbor (MI). They all manage to pull off a somewhat urban feel but still have easy access to nature and a good community.

We're not too into traditional night life (i.e. clubbing) but enjoy some bars, cafes/coffee shops, open mikes/acoustic music, and biking/hiking/running. A co-op or farmers market would be a nice bonus. I guess we're pretty stereotypical for our demographic (we've got an academic and a consultant between us) but at this point I've accepted that and just want to find a place we'll enjoy living that has the type of lifestyle we're looking for.

Any suggestions? We'd be commuting into the city and also to CMU/UPMC. I don't know much about Pittsburgh and whether or not it revolves around the city or the suburbs, have no idea what else is nearby, how the traffic is, and what the city has to offer...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
You pretty much described the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Regent Square. It spans four municipalities (a Pittsburgh quirk), and it's a nice residential area with brick streets, big trees with a good a business district, including a local movie theater, great restaurants, quiet bars. It's near the biggest city park - Frick Park - with acres and acres of trails and streams. Quick commute via car or bus to Oakland for CMU and UPMC. Very diverse people and GLBT friendly. Co-op is within a mile, as is Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Compared to prices in Boston, you'll be able to get a very nice home in your price range. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
So first, I'd recommend renting for a bit before buying. $350K is a generous amount for Pittsburgh, and there are lots of possible neighborhoods/towns fitting your description, so it would be worth your while to explore for a while before settling on a place--and without kids yet, you have time.

As for where to start out--the nicer parts of the East End section of Pittsburgh, where CMU and UPMC are located, is much like a big university town. I actually spent several summers and other times in Ann Arbor, having grown up in Michigan, and there are many similarities. I also know the Boston area fairly well--the East End is roughly similar to the Cambridge/Somerville part of the Boston area, although it is WAY more affordable. I'm not sure where else you are looking, but this is definitely one of the most affordable such areas in a major metro in the U.S. (maybe THE most affordable,).

There are a bunch of different East End neighborhoods you could consider. We live in Regent Square, which is partly in Pittsburgh and partly in some neighboring towns, and I agree it sounds like a very good match for you. But I'd also look at neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Shadyside, Friendship, and Highland Park . . . these are all popular neighborhoods with professors and doctors and such, and along the lines of what you are looking for.

Edit: Oh, and there is good public transit in the East End, including to Downtown. I'm not sure that is relevant to you, but it is worth mentioning.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
There's probably other neighborhoods you'd be happy with. But you sound like a poster child for Regent Square. I don't think there's one thing you mentioned in your post that doesn't match up with Regent Square.

It's fairly convenient to Downtown and Oakland, doesn't have a party-bar night life, but does have some little shops and restaurants. It is also right next to Frick Park, which is great for hiking. And you'd have the East End Food Co-op very nearby also.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
If places have a general speed so to speak, it's definitely going to be slower here vs Boston. I mean it's not midwest small-town slow but it's quite far from New York-Boston fast. So if you can't stand a slower vibe it's definitely not the place.

All the things you describe are here, I suppose, in one way or another. Generally city neighborhoods like the ones mentioned come closest. But it's not going to be quite like Ann Arbor, Burlington or Amherst. If you want something more like those, one place that comes to mind that I've been recently is Ithaca, NY.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I loved my times in Ann Arbor, but if economic vibrancy and opportunities are what you are concerned with, I'd very much hesitate to choose it over Pittsburgh--unfortunately, A2 has been a bit less immune to Michigan's severe recession than one might hope.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Gambling on Pittsburgh: The Top 10 Reasons Why It Paid Off

This is one recent newcomer's take on Pittsburgh. I know of many other transplants who feel the same way and others who do not. Pittsburgh is worth looking into. As for the notion as Pittsburgh not being vibrant. In what way? Granted, Pittsburgh's Downtown is quiet for the most part after hours. It is most definetely vibrant during the weekday. The neighborhoods? I would be willing to bet that Pittsburgh's top neighborhoods are equally as vibrant as the top neighborhoods of similar sized cities and most surely the college town of Ann Arbor, that is if we are taking Pittsburgh as a whole and not because of some token street of Ann Arbor and tree lined neighborhoods. Oh yeah, Pittsburgh has those too. Pittsburgh more than holds it's own with similar sized cities and even larger cities in vibrancy, just less expensive.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I have good friends in Boston, I love spending time there. But their Ryan/Maronda 2200 SF house costs 550K, in Pgh, maybe 220. They are worried that their children will never be able to afford to live in their neighborhood.

To each his/her own.

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2011 at 03:38 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
He and I have agreed on more than one occasion. But, I am always leery about anyone that constantly puts down the area where they live. Either man up and move, and if you don't have the money to make the change, deal with it.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM

133 posts, read 391,943 times
I moved here from eastern MA (lived in Franklin, worked in Sudbury). It is definitely slower paced in Pittsburgh. If you drive like a usual Mass driver, you will be VERY irritated by drivers here. If you live in Pittsburgh and don't have to deal with the highways as much, you might not get as bugged as I do.
Neighborhood-wise, the other posts seem to have it covered. I would think Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill, and Regent Square would be the first ones to look at. If you haven't, come visit for a long weekend. You really need to see it to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh