Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 AM

136 posts, read 691,213 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for utility choices in the city only to find that comcast is the only cable company(understanding satellite choices), duquesne for electric, and peoples for gas. I see that there are some different options for the burbs. kinda disappointed on cable especially as comcast blows.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypepariah View Post
kinda disappointed on cable especially as comcast blows.
What's the difference?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM

121 posts, read 367,709 times
Equitable Gas also serves the city. And I am pretty sure there is at least one other electric company. Green Mountain or something. Unless they went under?

I think I also read that Verizon might start offering cable service, but I don't know the details on that.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I have nothing against Comcast. Comcast's customer service is great since it's not a monolpoly like the gas and electric company. I can't stand gas and electric company. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, they refuse--saying they'll take your number and the supervisor will call you back. They never call back. You can't get any satisifaction from the gas and electric companies here. It's very frustrating. Dealing with Comcast is a breath of fresh air.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM

comcast is a joke, if you call 5 times you will get 5 different answers. they charge an arm and a leg. seemingly once a week there is a problem with my internet or cable having them in 2 states for the last few years. My favorite is when the tech doesn't know you get a lie. Comcast is a monopoly in some sectors(pitts, philly...snj)

Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
comcast is a joke, if you call 5 times you will get 5 different answers. they charge an arm and a leg. seemingly once a week there is a problem with my internet or cable having them in 2 states for the last few years. My favorite is when the tech doesn't know you get a lie. Comcast is a monopoly in some sectors(pitts, philly...snj)
All I know is when I have to let a cable guy into the cable room, which happens at least once a week, I mention I have Dishnetwork... and a lot of them have it, too...

I have yet to have to have a service guy out for anything. Any problem I've had tech support have walked me through the fix.... and it's worked.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Let how badly you feel about Comcast be a hint at just how bad it is to deal with the electric and gas company. You won't be able to handle it if you can't handle Comcast. And you have absolutely no recourse.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 AM

84 posts, read 284,642 times
Verizon FIOS is in some areas for the phone & internet.... cable will be here in the fall.... i cant wait!!! I'm switching my phone & internet in a couple of weeks and cable will be as soon as they are here!! You can always go to verizon.com and input your home phone number to see what services are available to you.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM

I don't have a home phone set up in pitt. It's interesting that I called them about fios and was flatly told they didn't offer service in my area. It's puzzling if they are unveiling service in the area sometime "fall" they wouldn't mention it.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It's interesting that I called them about fios and was flatly told they didn't offer service in my area. It's puzzling if they are unveiling service in the area sometime "fall" they wouldn't mention it.
They didn't mention it to you because you live in Squirrel Hill.

The following areas will be the first to have FiOS in Pittsburgh:

Bethel Park
Mt. Lebanon
Peters
Upper St. Clair
Etna
Fox Chapel
Franklin Park
Hampton
Indiana Township
McCandless
Millvale
O'Hara
Ohio Township
Reserve
Ross
Shaler
Sharpsburg
West Deer
Westview

Verizon moving in on cable television market

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh