Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM

16 posts, read 21,071 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning to move to Pittsburgh in June. I'm from the area and have already decided to live at the Cork Factory Apartments. I can't wait to get back to the burgh, but my main concern is a social life. I'm a 29 year old, single, female. Most of my friends who are my age living in Pittsburgh are married. Is it going to be hard for me to find guys to date?

I'm coming from NYC so i know its obviously a very different world. People here marry in their 30s so the bar scene is usually full of potential dates.

Help! hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM

178 posts, read 399,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilym View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to move to Pittsburgh in June. I'm from the area and have already decided to live at the Cork Factory Apartments. I can't wait to get back to the burgh, but my main concern is a social life. I'm a 29 year old, single, female. Most of my friends who are my age living in Pittsburgh are married. Is it going to be hard for me to find guys to date?

I'm coming from NYC so i know its obviously a very different world. People here marry in their 30s so the bar scene is usually full of potential dates.

Help! hahaha
If you are reasonably attractive then it shouldn't be hard to get a date with another reasonably attractive person. How your experience would compare to NYC I have no idea.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I've found that the caliber of guys overall in Pittsburgh is a MUCH superior breed to the guys in DC (and I'm presuming the guys in NYC also). I've been living here in Pittsburgh for just two months and now have a boyfriend (and had two others interested in me as well). I met nothing but pompous hack after elitist jerk back in DC, where I was unhappily single for a year-and-a-half. The guys here are genuine. They're not perfect, but unlike in DC they can IDENTIFY that and do not expect perfection from you either. My boyfriend is an amputee who smokes, but those are of no concern to me because I love him for what he has to offer as a person. He doesn't care about my verbosity or my wrinkles (I'm only 24), while one guy in DC pointed them out while a table of "friends" joined him in laughter as I was nearly in tears (needless to say they are no longer "friends" of mine). There was such pressure to be "competitive" in the dating pool in DC (and presumably NYC is similar). Everyone was always annoyingly fake, exaggerating or "upselling" themselves, and as soon as I'd poke a hole of reality through their "bubbles" I'd be shunned. That isn't quite the case here in Pittsburgh. Sure, there's some jerks here, too, but overall people seem to be more grounded in their expectations for a partner whereas in DC I knew many people who were in their 30s and still lonely and single because they "didn't want to settle" (i.e. they thought they were "better" than the dozens of others they had already dated). If you can recognize that there is no such person as "Mr. Perfect" or "Mr. Right", then you'll do well dating here in Pittsburgh.

The Cork Factory, eh? You'll be within walking distance of me! Welcome in advance!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I agree you'll have no problem getting dates if you are reasonably attractive.

The caliber of your dates will depend on where you look for them.

At almost 30, the bar scene is the last place to look for potential dates in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Guys seem to outnumber the ladies when I am out. If I was a lady, I am thinking Pittsburgh is great. I wouldn't think about it much.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilym View Post
The bar scene is also full of drunks, predators, losers, tramps & people with stds.

Join a social club or date guys at work or who live in your neighborhood/apt complex.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

55 posts, read 66,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The bar scene is also full of drunks, predators, losers, tramps & people with stds.

Join a social club or date guys at work or who live in your neighborhood/apt complex.
Ummm...

Every place on planet earth is full of drunks, predators, losers, tramps & people with stds. They are around you all the time.

Social clubs, people work or who live in your neighborhood/apt complex are also full of drunks, predators, losers, tramps & people with stds.

Don't be so naive.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 21,071 times
Haha thanks for the advice everyone!! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be the only single 29 year old in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh