Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 PM

59 posts, read 131,101 times

Advertisements

My wife needs to be at CMU on Monday morning at 9 AM. We live close to Montour HS and the Robinson Twp. shopping. It usually takes about 20 minutes to go on the Parkway through the Ft. Pitt tunnels and to the campus. My question is, how long will it take at that time on a Monday morning since I assume there will be rush hour traffic? Is the Parkway really backed up around 8 AM or will it take just a few minutes more? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,973,502 times
Well, this Monday morning may be an anomaly because traffic will probably be lighter given that the Super Bowl was the night before. But I'd still allow at least 45 minutes in case there's a brealdown or accident on the parkway.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 PM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Even though traffic will be lighter, I'd give it an hour. Better to cool her jets on campus than to be stuck in traffic at 8:55.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,682,661 times
Agreed, allow at least an hour. It *should* be lighter traffic, perhaps, than usual but I wouldn't count on it. Hell, I think I'd be leaving at 7:30 to be safe, unless it's an appointment that it's safe to be a little late to with the traffic as the excuse. I suspect it's not though. If it's a meeting/interview/whatever kind of even that it's critically important to get there on time, you basically can't be too early to leave the house (though you wouldn't want to show up half an hour early at the appointment either, because that's can be annoying to the folks there.) The worst thing that happens is you have to kill time on the other end, get some coffee or something.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks to all.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 PM

296 posts, read 561,584 times
I would definitely leave around 730-745 because traffic is always backed up and the back alternate routes arent too convenient - plus Oakland is never fun at that hour and you have to park.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Parking actually won't be a problem because I'm just dropping her off at a designated spot in front of the campus. But, yeah, I feared it was going to be a real trek at that hour and it looks like I was right unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Since you're just dropping her off, I'd leave at 8.

There isn't going to be traffic. Due to the Super Bowl, many people are calling off work and others are going in late.

If you leave at 7:30, your wife might be stuck waiting around for an entire hour.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,710,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
My wife needs to be at CMU on Monday morning at 9 AM. We live close to Montour HS and the Robinson Twp. shopping. It usually takes about 20 minutes to go on the Parkway through the Ft. Pitt tunnels and to the campus. My question is, how long will it take at that time on a Monday morning since I assume there will be rush hour traffic? Is the Parkway really backed up around 8 AM or will it take just a few minutes more? Thanks.
My general rule on going anywhere during the work week is to leave an hour before as the others have said.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,682,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There isn't going to be traffic. Due to the Super Bowl, many people are calling off work and others are going in late.
Come on, treating this as a set in stone fact is a good way to be late! Yes, there's a decent chance the Super Bowl will cut the traffic somewhat. The city schools have 2-hour delay. Etc. Still, there could be an accident, breakdown, etc on the route. And we don't know how much it will cut the traffic.

It's possible to kill time on the other end, before or after drop off. It's not possible to make up time if you've left too late. End of story.

Again, it depends upon if being a little late will matter or not. Some types of things it would definitely matter, some it might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh