Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM

30 posts, read 34,293 times

Advertisements

Now that is great information to know. I might have to sacrifice my off street parking then, or maybe search more in Dormont. This is becoming harder than expected, especially since I am 7 hours away and unable to take time off to get to Pittsburgh. Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. Ill keep looking and hope I find that needle in the haystack this week. Im not stressed yet, but can see that happening if nothing is found by the end of the week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Shadyside and Squirrel Hill would be my choice if I was coming from a place like NYNY. I just got back from a trip to NYC this weekend. I go all over Manhatten, Brooklyn, Queens and other places in the area when I visit. Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are more upscale than Southside and there isn't anything in Mt. Washington if you ask me, unless you have a great view. Why drive when you can walk. Southside Flats is fine, but not the slopes IMHO. Point Breeze if you want a quiet setting.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM

How did you like NYC if you do not mind me asking? Some people love certain parts, others do not. I am trying to cram in my favorite restaurants, bars, shopping, and entertainment one last time all into the next 2 weeks, I know I will eventually visit and return, but who knows for how long. Also, do you fly or drive when traveling to and from?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That Mt Washington listing is actually a fair bit down the back of the hill from the Mon Incline. The neighborhood there is not as slam-dunk a choice as up on top.
The attached google map makes it appear closer to the incline than it is.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU12 View Post
How did you like NYC if you do not mind me asking? Some people love certain parts, others do not. I am trying to cram in my favorite restaurants, bars, shopping, and entertainment one last time all into the next 2 weeks, I know I will eventually visit and return, but who knows for how long. Also, do you fly or drive when traveling to and from?
I drive (Megabus seems to be a decent option too). Its a 5.5-6 hour drive. Getting to the airport, checking in, flying, landing, getting luggage and catching the train/cab/bus (if LaGuardia) to your destination is going to take you probably ~4 hours+ anyway (even worse coming back), so I don't see much of an advantage to flying.

I've done it twice, and left at night, slept in Clinton, NJ and drove in early in the morning (weekends - this isnt a good strat on a weekday).

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM
gg

Quote:
I used to drive in and out of the city, but it is a drag most of the time. I usually fly into one of the three airports close by. I love NYC. The village is very cool, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, oh crap there are so many great places. I enjoy the Financial District. Then there are little off the wall places like I was just in Astoria and went to a great Greek bakery. Quite possibly the best bakery I have ever been to. I was out on Kings Hwy, in Brooklyn almost to Coney Island and had a great pizza and enjoyed a music event there. On the way, I was in a Russian area, but didn't have enough time to explore the area as much as I would have liked. I usually travel by foot, subway as much as I can or a bus. Almost never take a taxi. You just don't get the feel of NYC in a taxi IMHO. I don't enjoy the tourist places much. I tend to gravitate to the lower streets, but very much like Central Park. It is huge. You can have Times Square, but there are great shows up that way. I was all the way up to 125th Street for the first time in decades. Wow, it has gotten much nicer up that way.

I find NYC quite friendly as well. Most people will talk to you, help with directions and pretty much are nice. I think that has improved since 9/11, or at least it seems that way.

Not sure what else I can say, but I prefer to visit NYC than live there. Sometimes I prefer the quiet and NYC is very dense. Also very expensive, even if you go to a hole in the wall places that I prefer. It is quite a bit cheaper when you leave Manhattan it seems though and get out to one of the other boros.

If I wanted to keep some of NYC alive and was going to live in Pittsburgh, I would say the Southside Flats would be kind of a similar feel in a way, but if you are used to the Village or some of the more expensive areas, then you might want to have a look at Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Everything is going to be tiny in comparison and most everyone drives everywhere even if it is two blocks away, but it is what it is. Quite a contrast to NYC. Mount Lebanon is worth a look if you want a pretty cool small place. They have the T, which is kind of nice if you work downtown.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I drive (Megabus seems to be a decent option too). Its a 5.5-6 hour drive. Getting to the airport, checking in, flying, landing, getting luggage and catching the train/cab/bus (if LaGuardia) to your destination is going to take you probably ~4 hours+ anyway (even worse coming back), so I don't see much of an advantage to flying.

I've done it twice, and left at night, slept in Clinton, NJ and drove in early in the morning (weekends - this isnt a good strat on a weekday).
I think I am going to try Megabus next time. I agree, by the time you drive to the airport, park, security, fly then make your way to Manhattan or where ever, you are only talking about a couple of hours difference and much cheaper. Plus, you can bring back more stuff, like liquids. I would love to bring back a case of Innis and Gunn beer. I would think on Megabus you could, but not sure. I don't enjoy driving there much and don't like parking in NYC. I can park in Jersey and get into the city, but still a pain.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I used to drive in and out of the city, but it is a drag most of the time. I usually fly into one of the three airports close by. I love NYC. The village is very cool, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, oh crap there are so many great places. I enjoy the Financial District. Then there are little off the wall places like I was just in Astoria and went to a great Greek bakery. Quite possibly the best bakery I have ever been to. I was out on Kings Hwy, in Brooklyn almost to Coney Island and had a great pizza and enjoyed a music event there. On the way, I was in a Russian area, but didn't have enough time to explore the area as much as I would have liked. I usually travel by foot, subway as much as I can or a bus. Almost never take a taxi. You just don't get the feel of NYC in a taxi IMHO. I don't enjoy the tourist places much. I tend to gravitate to the lower streets, but very much like Central Park. It is huge. You can have Times Square, but there are great shows up that way. I was all the way up to 125th Street for the first time in decades. Wow, it has gotten much nicer up that way.

I find NYC quite friendly as well. Most people will talk to you, help with directions and pretty much are nice. I think that has improved since 9/11, or at least it seems that way.

Not sure what else I can say, but I prefer to visit NYC than live there. Sometimes I prefer the quiet and NYC is very dense. Also very expensive, even if you go to a hole in the wall places that I prefer. It is quite a bit cheaper when you leave Manhattan it seems though and get out to one of the other boros.

If I wanted to keep some of NYC alive and was going to live in Pittsburgh, I would say the Southside Flats would be kind of a similar feel in a way, but if you are used to the Village or some of the more expensive areas, then you might want to have a look at Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Everything is going to be tiny in comparison and most everyone drives everywhere even if it is two blocks away, but it is what it is. Quite a contrast to NYC. Mount Lebanon is worth a look if you want a pretty cool small place. They have the T, which is kind of nice if you work downtown.
What bakery are you speaking of if you do not mind me asking. I use to live in Astoria right by the Triboro bridge, and the Greek food in that area is amazing, mainly because it is a predominately Greek neighborhood.

Right now I am torn as to what I am looking for. I love NYC, but I feel like I want that suburb type living for a while. So if I could find a location with that feel and everything I am looking for (young professional crowd, close to great bars/restaurants/shopping etc, dog friendly, nice clean safe neighborhood, etc.), close to the city areas that would be ideal. I will be working in Robinson TWP if that helps at all and want to keep my commute to under 35mins each way.

I really want to be in an area where I am able to meet people similar to my age group since I am coming alone and have no one there, yet have a slower lifestyle than I did in NYC.

One thing is I have noticed that Pittsburgh does not seem as dog friendly as NYC, any reason for this? I found an apartment in Mt. Washington and offered and extra $5,000 security deposit to allow my dog and was declined. I am not concerned about the money because I know I will get it back at the conclusion of my lease, but it is seeming like a difficult task.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
There is some off-street parking in Mt Washington but not much. The place I lived in up there (on Kearsarge St) had a spot in back. I don't think there are any front driveways, but a few spots have access to back alleys and such where there can be parking spots and maybe a few garages.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
One thing is I have noticed that Pittsburgh does not seem as dog friendly as NYC, any reason for this?
Renting is seen as a shorter, more temporary state of being in Pgh than in NYC, because it's so much cheaper to live here. Landlords and tenants share the opinion that having a dog is something you can wait to do until you buy a house.

If you decide to stay here after your first year at your new job, you will likely want to buy your own place. It's just that much more affordable here.

Do you already have a dog? (I haven't read every post.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh