Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Actually the two are next to each other. We like to go to Chinatown (but we usually end up eating in PQ).
Aha. I've never actually been to Penn Quarter, at least not since it was named Penn Quarter. My friend who talks about going there all the time says it's basically Chinatown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Sounds like Oakland to me.

Although that may seem strange, there is in fact a ravine in the way, which is all it takes.
Hence the bridges over the ravine, on Forbes and near Phipps.

It's hard to believe someone who lives in Oakland never went to Squirrel Hill. Where did they go shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Also, I always hear people say there is so much to do that is free in DC, but I've never known in what way, as it seems any city, if you look for it, you can find things to do that are free. Can you expand on that one?
When people mention the free things in D.C., they're referring to most of the Smithsonian museums (the largest museum complex in the world), the memorials and monuments, the White House, the Capitol Building, Library of Congress, the zoo among other things.

It is unusual and a blessing for a city to have so many quality things for free. You don't even get that in cities like New York, Paris or London.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When people mention the free things in D.C., they're referring to most of the Smithsonian museums (the largest museum complex in the world), the memorials and monuments, the White House, the Capitol Building, Library of Congress, the zoo among other things.

It is unusual and a blessing for a city to have so many quality things for free. You don't even get that in cities like New York, Paris or London.
Most of the museums & monuments in london are free as well.... but I agree about DC, add in the fact that there is usually something other (or multiples of) random things going on be it a concert by a major group, or one of the armed forces bands, a famous speaker, an art show, a unique traveling exhibit, a demonstration, or just some cool street performers; there is always something going on somewhere which is also happens to be free. Of course this goes to the fact that DC is of course the nation's capital & has a huge influx of tourists at all times which we cannot compete with.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Most of the museums & monuments in london are free as well.... but I agree about DC, add in the fact that there is usually something other (or multiples of) random things going on be it a concert by a major group, or one of the armed forces bands, a famous speaker, an art show, a unique traveling exhibit, a demonstration, or just some cool street performers; there is always something going on somewhere which is also happens to be free. Of course this goes to the fact that DC is of course the nation's capital & has a huge influx of tourists at all times which we cannot compete with.
All of that stuff is free thanks to everyone's tax dollars I believe.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
All of that stuff is free thanks to everyone's tax dollars I believe.
Indeed, that too...though at least its a worthwhile expenditure of tax dollars at least compared to a litany of other crap that its spent on.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But I am not sure how unique that is to Pittsburgh--in fact I saw the other day an article about people using cell phone tracking data to study this issue, and it turns out many people rarely get outside of a triangle defined by their home, their workplace, and their preferred commercial area.
That is so true!

Interesting study, I'm definitely going to remember that one.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Also, on the Nova side, most of the parks don't charge admission (except for two of the national parks). That may change as the recession goes on, but so far they have resisted the idea. Technically there is a fee for using things like the boat launches, but right now the rangers look the other way as long as you bring all your own gear. They even let you play on the mini golf for free if you come after 6 (and bring your own gear).

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
in all fairness, the number of free things in DC is shrinking. aside from the museums (also "free" in baltimore), I'm not sure the quality of parks is any better than most places, and I don't think there are more free shows or anything else than NY. In fact, most big cities have a fair amount of free stuff going on, even if it isn't the big institutions like the museums.
if anything, places like DC may even have a dearth of interesting things like they do in ny. I suspect that Pittsburgh is ripe for the picking since it can often be much easier to set things up without all the security hassles.
hopefully this still happens
Pyrotopia: Home

for all its pomp, DC is, in a lot of ways, a follower city.
sure you can see the smithsonian for free, but the spy museum will set you back $22 a head..and last time we were there we ate at pizza paradiso, paid $9 for a beer I'd had in Philly for $5 and a pizza that isn't as good as picolo al forno OR il pizzaiolo

Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
paid $9 for a beer I'd had in Philly for $5
LOL you may be right about that--if you want inexpensive beer & pizza you're more likely to find it in the burbs. Alcohol's a much better deal in Nova than in DC.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Most of the museums & monuments in london are free as well....
Actually, you're probably right. It's several years now since I last visited London. Time for another trip. I want to do a tour of the Parliament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh