Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM

23 posts, read 45,791 times

Advertisements

I have Texas plates and DL and am a college student interning in Pittsburgh for only the summer. First question, since I'm only there temporarily, do I need to worry about changing my DL or plates or anything?

Second, I go to school in Oklahoma at the moment, and my inspection (not registration) sticker expires next month, but I won't have time to go to Texas to have my car inspected before I leave for Pittsburgh. I have less than a week between my finals and when I have to move up there. Can I get in any kind of trouble for having an expired inspection sticker?

Thanks for any help. I'm just full of questions now that moving time is getting closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
1. No, since you're not looking to establish residency here, you don't need to change them over.

2. Yes, you might get a ticket for expired inspection, though maybe not so readily as the rest of us because the out of state sticker will look unusual. I believe I've even heard of inspection being ticketed when parked. I know I've heard of cops stopping people only because the inspection was expired, but again, they'll have more trouble spotting your unusual one as opposed to the usual PA stickers.

It's tough timing I know but you might want to rethink trying to get an inspection before heading up this way.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,914 times
Just don't get caught. My Jeep is almost at three years of not being inspected, but driven near-daily. It's only been noticed once.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Just don't get caught. My Jeep is almost at three years of not being inspected, but driven near-daily. It's only been noticed once.
Wow. You should get an inspection.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 PM

That's some pretty good luck. I've heard too many stories on inspections. Mine was a few days over a few weeks ago (was waiting for a part after taking it in at last minute, passed emissions tho) and even that was enough to make sure I got it back in at earliest possible once the part came in.

At 3 years out, I don't think they'll give you a grace period or any forgiveness on a ticket. That said, after making it 3 years, you've probably saved enough to cover the cost of a ticket.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,914 times
I'd have gotten it inspected long ago but I have a check engine light I've been chasing for literally two years now. (The first year of not being inspected was because it had a blown engine and just sat in the driveway, then I got a new engine for it)

It runs perfectly, would pass with flying colors in every other respect, but with that engine light... instant fail.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM

How long does it take to throw the light after you clear it? I've cleared my light right before inspection last couple years, works long enough to pass, a day later it's on again. Shrug. I still don't know if it actually needs the cat or just an O2 sensor.

If I was living across the other border in Butler County (instead of Beaver or Allegheny) that wouldn't even matter. They pass a safety-only inspection even if the light is on! No emission test required there.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's some pretty good luck. I've heard too many stories on inspections. Mine was a few days over a few weeks ago (was waiting for a part after taking it in at last minute, passed emissions tho) and even that was enough to make sure I got it back in at earliest possible once the part came in.

At 3 years out, I don't think they'll give you a grace period or any forgiveness on a ticket. That said, after making it 3 years, you've probably saved enough to cover the cost of a ticket.
Last year a few friends and I went to Canada and returned on April 4th. Our friend's inspection however expired and 3-31 and since he was at school in Virginia Tech, he obviously had no way to update it before we went. The border guards used that as an excuse to be jagoffs saying we went to Canada to get pot and fake IDs and went through all of our stuff. I hate them now.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
I go to school in Oklahoma at the moment, and my inspection (not registration) sticker expires next month, but I won't have time to go to Texas to have my car inspected before I leave for Pittsburgh.
Inspection and emissions test costs $40+/- so why don't you get it inspected while you're here? If it isn't legal to get stickers have a station sign a paper that you passed for PA.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Last year a few friends and I went to Canada and returned on April 4th. Our friend's inspection however expired and 3-31 and since he was at school in Virginia Tech, he obviously had no way to update it before we went. The border guards used that as an excuse to be jagoffs saying we went to Canada to get pot and fake IDs and went through all of our stuff. I hate them now.
My aunt and uncle took us cousins to Canada when I was 7. We were stopped and searched. I've been back over 20x since then and have been stopped every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh