Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM

39 posts, read 73,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I agree that each of the suburbs have different overall vibes, but none are in my mind inferior or "bad" areas. Suburbs in general are pretty homogenous: you have the chain stores, chain restaurants, strip malls, shopping malls, etc. Most of the same ones are in each area. Then you have the huge parking lots, split-level ranches, and apartment buildings with balconies. I don't know how you can say one looks better than the other. They're all ugly.
i tend to agree with this overall assessment of our suburban shopping districts. they are for the most part generic and old/rundown with the same bland big box stores. also, one area does not scream 'upscale' more than the other one. it does seem though that mcknight road/ross is healthier than monroeville.

i think pittsburgh just doesn't have the concentration of wealth to have a truly upscale shopping district (http://www.cnbc.com/id/21917314/ - broken link). i also know the linked examples are extreme, but it just goes to show that our shopping districts are more similar than they are different - the separation is minimal at best.

the 'pittsburgh bubble' strikes again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Hmmmph. They can put one out there if they choose to. IIIIIIIIIIII still won't be visiting that mall.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
i think pittsburgh just doesn't have the concentration of wealth to have a truly upscale shopping district (http://www.cnbc.com/id/21917314/ - broken link).
Retailers tend to be lagging indicators. There is wealth in Pittsburgh, and increasingly so. It's just that not many upscale retailers other than Nordstrom have noticed yet.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Retailers tend to be lagging indicators. There is wealth in Pittsburgh, and increasingly so. It's just that not many upscale retailers other than Nordstrom have noticed yet.
yes, there is some wealth, but not a high comparative concentration of wealth...and nothing has dramatically occurred to cause a great influx of new wealth. it seems like pittsburgh just shifts it's wealth around.

check out this map. go to 'view more maps'...click 'income'....then go to 'households earning more than $200,000'. finally, compare the concentration/area/number of wealthy census tracts in the pittsburgh metro to a truly wealthy area such as...anywhere on the east coast. pittsburgh compares favorably to columbus, cleveland, cincy, etc....however, the east coast we are not...although our cost of living is lower here as well.

i also would not say that retailers are lagging. it's not like all of a sudden we had an explosion of wealth and the retailers are trying to play catch up. i'd say pittsburgh has been pretty stable for a while now....giving retailers plenty of previous time to 'catch up' to whatever small increase that may or may not have occurred. in d.c. for example, that's another story...it's crazy there.

or perhaps....a subsection of pittsburgh is getting more of a fashion sense? i don't know.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
But check out the change in median household income map. There are some areas in the eastern quadrant with decent median income increases.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But check out the change in median household income map. There are some areas in the eastern quadrant with decent median income increases.
do these isolated gains compensate for what appears to be an overall decline? i don't know...but i don't think so.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
do these isolated gains compensate for what appears to be an overall decline? i don't know...but i don't think so.
Yes, they do actually:

Pittsburgh makes top 10 list for personal income growth | Pittsburgh Business Times

Quote:
Personal income has been on the rise in Pittsburgh over the past 25 years, so much so that a new study ranks it No. 6 among the nation’s 100 largest metropolitan areas in terms of income growth.
Stats from the study:

25-year income growth rate (1984-2009): 212.4%

20-year income growth rate (1989-2009): 132.8%

15-year income growth rate (1994-2009): 87.3%

10-year income growth rate (1999-2009): 44.8%

5-year income growth rate (2004-2009): 21.7%

If you look just at the 2000s and adjust for local inflation, Pittsburgh does even better:

Personal Income in the 2000s: Top and Bottom Ten Metropolitan Areas | Newgeography.com

Quote:
However, perhaps the biggest surprise is the metropolitan area that slipped into the number two position between Baltimore and Washington. The Pittsburgh metropolitan area, which may have faced the most severe economic challenges of any major metropolitan area over the past 40 years, achieved per capita personal income growth of 8.2 percent.
Note the lower percentage due to the inflation adjustment.

The bottomline is that the Pittsburgh Metro is experiencing relatively rapid gains in real personal income. Despite what New Geography stated, this actually isn't surprising, because Pittsburgh is also experiencing relatively rapid gains in terms of things like the educational attainment of its workforce, and meanwhile it was not as affected by the Great Recession as most places.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

that's good to hear that we are improving. once you hit bottom....there is only one way but up though. one study quotes data from 1989 to 2009....things have improved since then. the other study takes our change in buying power into consideration in comparison to other areas of the country. again things are improving which is good.

however, since we were depressed for so long...our per capita income has a lot of catching up to do....as do our 'wealthy' earners in comparison to other metros. that's one reason why the pittsburgh housing market is still a bargin for most people moving into the area from elsewhere.

i still stand by my statement that pittsburgh lacks a high concentration of wealthy individuals...which is why we have a relative lack of high end stores...we can't support them.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM

We are definitely still in transition, but we have now caught up with or passed a lot of metros, and are closing at least somewhat with most of the higher-income metros. Given things like the educational trends among our younger population, these income trends will likely continue for quite a while.

And a lot of the growth is at the top. For example, from 1999 to 2009, the number of households in the Pittsburgh Metro with $150,000 in income or more increased about 90%, going from about 3.3% of the households in 1999 to 6.1% of the households in 2009. That is actually a large part of why our per capita income is increasing so rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh