Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,407,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Originally I was thinking of inquiring if 'Americana Music' or 'Alt-Country' had much airplay or generated much interest in Pittsburgh.

But, I get the feeling that maybe not.

Is it clear to say that Pittsburgh is generally a 'rock-n-roll' town first and foremost?
Used to be a big jazz town; people like, Errol Garner, Earl Fatha Hines, Mary Lou Williams, Billy Eckstine, DoDo Marmarosa, Billy Strayhorn, Paul Chambers, Lena Horne, Stanley Turrentine, Roy Eldridge, Art Blakey, George Benson, it really goes on and on..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,637,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
People still listen to Kid Rock? I didn't know that. I am only 26 don't know if that classifies me as "young adult" or not. I don't listen to anything that Raubre listed, nor would any of my friends list them as a favorite artist...and we aren't hipsters either. In my group some of the favorite musicians right now are Adele ( I think everyone loves her right now), Foster the People, Mumford and Sons, Kate Nash. Just to list a few.
You sound like you would like WYEP. I like Arcade Fire, Muse, Kings of Leon, Wilco, Vampire Weekend, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horses

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
You sound like you would like WYEP. I like Arcade Fire, Muse, Kings of Leon, Wilco, Vampire Weekend, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horses
Either 92.9 FM or 96.9 FM needs to become a true Alternative station. Then when that happens, 105.9 FM can become an Active Rock station like it obviously wants to be.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,527,946 times
Quote:
I'd like to see an indie rock band make a buzz in Pittsburgh. But anyway along with rock, Pittsburgh is very hair band oriented and now fake country.

There are some people here who do like alt-country (I love Wilco, Old 97s and Son Volt) and some Americana (Avett Bros and Mumford.) There is a following with the WYEP and hipster crowd.

Wilco sold out the last time they werehere. The Avett Bros. come here often, so they do have an audience here. Mumford hasn't been here yet, but almost would guarentee they'd sell out a show here.

But I think the main problems are that so many Pittsburghers are so set in thier ways that they aren't adventurous enough to listen to new types of music. Soccer moms are into Kid Rock now (ugh.)

The oher problem is obviously radio. Not enough exposure to these bands, unless you have sattelite raio or an outlet like sofafm.

pretty much this

Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,637,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Either 92.9 FM or 96.9 FM needs to become a true Alternative station. Then when that happens, 105.9 FM can become an Active Rock station like it obviously wants to be.
great minds think alike!

I also wanted to rep lungs but couldn't. Thanks!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,527,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Definitely agree with this

Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,470 times
Quote:
I'd like to see an indie rock band make a buzz in Pittsburgh. But anyway along with rock, Pittsburgh is very hair band oriented and now fake country.
I agree with this. And you would be surprised at the amount of lesser alt-country acts that end up rolling through town. For instance, Alejandro Escovedo will be at Club Cafe yet again next month. For a town that never got over Bon Jovi and Whitesnake, this is bizarre and confusing.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,063,408 times
i hate bon jovi, and whitesnake had maybe 3 good songs.

one thing i miss about the east coast is the music - one can get so much exposure to a lot of different rock acts. the Silversun Pickups were HUGE in DC and LA a couple years ago. i am in 2 bands and no one in either has even heard of them.

like anywhere, though, you can get in a rut of boredom with music. you have to search it out, or find it accidentally on youtube or Cool TV.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 AM

191 posts, read 602,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I thought the subject was about dealing drugs and killing people with their 9's?
There's not one song where wiz raps about dealing drugs or killing people... He does smoke a lot of weed, but what's wrong with that!? Almost every legendary artist smoked weed, and most did more such as acid, shrooms, heroin, coke, etc. Wiz is more chics and weed

Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM

101 posts, read 218,651 times
The reason Bon Jovi is so popular around here is because during the crash during the early 80’s he and his band did a few things for the city. They also will drop by random bars and do sets free of charge for fans.
It’s the same thing with the Boss when he’s in town collaborating with one of his song writers.
They don’t forget the artists or the people that were good to them and stuck it out during the bad times around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh