Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 AM

781 posts, read 1,622,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
I for one won't damn you for saying that. I think the same thing. I always feel like my burger is dry. I always order my burgers medium but at Tessaros they always come out more like well done.
We have only been there twice, first time was spot on. Second time, notsomuch and we had 6 out of town family members in tow. We ordered burgers medium and we got at the very best super medium rare. (I am trying to be nice, they were rare) We had to send 4 out of 8 back.

I love the ambiance the service and their cream of chicken soup is amazing.

I really hope Legume stays "Legume" when they move. They were fantastic in Regent Square.

Seriously no Point Brugge? That alone makes this list irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,081,615 times
There was a time when Tessaros was very good. I have been told they have one guy that can still cook a good burger these days. My friend said he doesn't know his name, but he is the "black guy". Hope that is okay to say? Anyway, cooking a burger properly needs to be taught. It isn't as easy as people think. First rule is NEVER press down on the burger. It amazes me how many cooks do that. That just makes them hockey pucks with no juice left. Haven't been to Tessaros in years because a few of my friends that are foodies, said it went down hill. It is a shame, because they did have a great burger with really good sides.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,970,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Restaurants have gotten so much better in Pittsburgh since I moved here twenty years ago. It's hard to imagine a list like that a couple of decades ago.
Heck, the restaurant scene here has improved substantially in just the past five years. It wasn't too long ago when Legume and Casbah were just about the only places in town worthy of making this list. Having to actually wight your options about where you want to have dinner on a Friday night is a great thing.

I'm not going to hate on Tessaro's, but I'm not telling where the best burger is to be had in Pittsburgh. It's already crowded on the weekends.

The Reader's Choice poll is always a hoot. Who knew Eat 'N Park was the best at almost everything.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM
gg

I have had good burgers at Cross Keys. Actually the prices at Cross Keys are not as high as many people think and it is more casual than most think. Many times we eat at the bar and grab a burger and a few beers or wine.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,904,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There was a time when Tessaros was very good. I have been told they have one guy that can still cook a good burger these days. My friend said he doesn't know his name, but he is the "black guy". Hope that is okay to say? Anyway, cooking a burger properly needs to be taught. It isn't as easy as people think. First rule is NEVER press down on the burger. It amazes me how many cooks do that. That just makes them hockey pucks with no juice left. Haven't been to Tessaros in years because a few of my friends that are foodies, said it went down hill. It is a shame, because they did have a great burger with really good sides.
Wonder how long it takes a place to lose its popularity when the quality has gone down based on the goodwill it has generated for the years quality was up.

I will agree what many of the others said, having heard rave reviews about Tessaros' burgers, I had only tried it recently and just thought it was ok... heck I thought the burger I got from 'Five Guys' the day before was just as good. I do want to try the BRGR place in east liberty.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Wonder how long it takes a place to lose its popularity when the quality has gone down based on the goodwill it has generated for the years quality was up.

I will agree what many of the others said, having heard rave reviews about Tessaros' burgers, I had only tried it recently and just thought it was ok... heck I thought the burger I got from 'Five Guys' the day before was just as good. I do want to try the BRGR place in east liberty.
It is living off its old glory. I went to the Bugatory in Fox Chapel Waterworks and wasn't impressed with that. Order a med rare burger it was med to med/well, but that is typical. It wasn't very juicy. I am not big on a ton of toppings because I actually like the burger part.

I agree, five guys is okay. No med rare or anything like that and they press down on the burgers, but it is cheaper, so it is about the same as anyplace. Fries there are good.

Best burger I have had was at North Country all the way up in Slippery Rock. They are inconsistent there as well, but there is ONE cook that knows what he is doing. The bartenders know who he is and I ask if it is a burger night.

Oh well, it is just hard to find good food that is consistent. I used to enjoy the lamb burger at Cornerstone in Aspinwall, but last time it was well done and a bit dry. Sometimes it is good.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,735,895 times
I have to say that Burgh'ers in Zelienople has the best burgers in the area.

home

All of their stuff is local and organic, it's awesome.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,556,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'm not going to hate on Tessaro's, but I'm not telling where the best burger is to be had in Pittsburgh. It's already crowded on the weekends.
Do we need to start a best burger thread to cough up this information?

Tessaros has always been a downer for me because I love french fries and just can't accept a burger place without french fries. The burgers at the Aspinwall Grill are pretty good. Then again, they rank a little higher because I don't have drive 30 minutes to get there.

I love 5 Guys.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,091,247 times
Winghart's (Market Square) is currently my favorite place for burgers in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,696,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
As for no dives on the list... well, that's because they are dives. This list is always about gourmet/noteworthy chefs. Also, I think Big Burrito may strong arm its platoon onto this list.
Maybe we're using the term differently, but there are places that I would consider to be dives that crush some of the newer 'upscale' restaurants. To me being a dive doesn't necessarily mean it's a bar and serves only fish sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh