Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am planning to relocate in about two or three years when I will be semi-retiring and am looking for a new place to do that. By semi-retire I mean working part time to supplement my Social Security and various investments.

I have been using this website to look at cities that may be right for me and doing some research but the best way to find out about the heart of things is to ask the natives.

So here is what I will be looking for:

Good public transportation ( I don't drive)

Medical facilities

Walking neighborhoods

Convenient grocery shopping

Rentals for me and the cat

Schools with adult education and activities

Job opportunities

Climate isn't really an issue although I am not fond of hot humid weather. I already know from what I have read that Pittsburgh has great cultural offerings and the type of entertainment I like which would be theater, opera, ballet, symphonies and a little bit of blue grass.

Regarding the job situation, I have been working for insurance companies in one capacity or another for over 30 years. I have skills that would be transferable to medical facilities too but I wouldn't mind doing something completely different. I also have a dusty paralegal certificate I haven't been able to use expect for working for a year in a probate court.

So far some other choices have been Knoxville TN, Minneapolis Mn, Cleveland OH and Omaha NE.

I don't know if this is enough information (or too much) but if anyone can tell be a bit about your city which could address my "wish list" I would really appreciate it. Next year I plan to visit Knoxville and Pittsburgh.

Thanks for any advice, wisdom, knowledge, praise or criticism anyone can offer about your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Pittsburgh has got everything you are looking for and more......and I think there is no competition between the other cities you have listed.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Vist a few citys first ...I'm from france and love it plus for me they have direct flights to Paris ohh la la ... very affordable and loads of culture and many things to do.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,804 times
Except perhaps for the public transport (and I don't know the other cities so I can't compare).

Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
It certainly seems to me like Pittsburgh is potentially a very good fit for you--for a city of its current size, and particularly for a city of its cost of living, Pittsburgh is relatively rich in cultural and educational institutions, walkable neighborhoods, and has decent public transit in many neighborhoods. So I guess I would think the next step is to come up with an itinerary for your visit, because I do think Pittsburgh merits a serious look for someone with your preferences.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Hi Minervah,

First off, why do you want to leave Portland? Not to pry, but that might provide context. From what I can gather on this blog, Pittsburgh and Portland share many features. Nice, midsized cities with nice, compact downtowns, beautiful parks, lots of interesting neighborhoods, and a rainwashed, green, and watery feel. Except for housing costs, I might give Portland a slight edge, but only because I keep seeing Mount Hood looming overhead in my mind. They seem very close indeed. But when value is factored in, it is not even close.

My impression is that Pittsburgh blows the competition you list away. But the best way to learn is to follow this board for a few weeks to get a feeling. Be forwarned, this is a fine group and they will charm the socks off ya! FWIW, I live in Ashland, and am considering a job move to the burgh, so have been tracking closely. Great fun, and it does definitely seem worth more than a look. Vacation? Seems like a great underrated vacation spot, and would give you much more context than simple facts and figures.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hi Minervah,

First off, why do you want to leave Portland? Not to pry, but that might provide context. From what I can gather on this blog, Pittsburgh and Portland share many features. Nice, midsized cities with nice, compact downtowns, beautiful parks, lots of interesting neighborhoods, and a rainwashed, green, and watery feel. Except for housing costs, I might give Portland a slight edge, but only because I keep seeing Mount Hood looming overhead in my mind. They seem very close indeed. But when value is factored in, it is not even close.

My impression is that Pittsburgh blows the competition you list away. But the best way to learn is to follow this board for a few weeks to get a feeling. Be forwarned, this is a fine group and they will charm the socks off ya! FWIW, I live in Ashland, and am considering a job move to the burgh, so have been tracking closely. Great fun, and it does definitely seem worth more than a look. Vacation? Seems like a great underrated vacation spot, and would give you much more context than simple facts and figures.
Well there are several reasons. Absolutely number one is the cost of living. I couldn't live here unless I worked full time. I want to be able to work only part time when I semi-retire and I want to be able to go where things are not so expensive so I can live on SS and a part time job. I also have some savings but none of that would last long in Portland.

I have lived here for 30 plus years. It's really changed so much. I think Portland has become extremely youth oriented and I am no longer young. I would like to live where there is a greater mix of ages. I miss many of the inexpensive activities geared for adults like the park bureau used to offer; classes and travel and so forth that aren't done any longer.

It has never been easy to make a living in this town. Many of my good friends have left after losing their jobs and not being able to find another here. I was out of work for a couple of years and really suffered. This was back in 2001-2004 when the economy was allegedly better. I almost became a street person if not for friends inviting me to stay with them. I was fortunate I got a job eventually where I am at present but that is now in danger of being eliminated.

There is just this feeling that I don't belong here any longer. I am originally from Chicago and I would almost consider going back there but I believe it would be too big a place for me. Each city I listed has something I think would make a good place for me. I have heard good things about Pittsburgh and that it was similar to Portland in ways that I would like without the negatives I believe exist here.

Finally I don't want to move to a place where everyone else wants to move. People keep coming here despite the bad economy, high taxes, low wages and high cost of living. Portland seems to have a sort of mystique about that I don't think exists. It is a beautiful place but one can't live on a mountain or in green forests or the beach. Not without a lot of money anyway.

I think the fundamental differences between Pittsburgh and Portland from what I have read is that Pittsburgh has a lower cost of living and more choice for the type of entertainment I like not to mention a better economy with more jobs.

And also, I am just ready to move on.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Granted I am not in Pittsburgh either.

BUT...I have lived in both Portland Oregon and Minneapolis.

From your last post, Minneapolis is definetely a city that is NOT a magnet, yet offers a lot. However, personally, it was brutally cold for most of the year, and the public transportation isn't that great.

Personally Pittsburgh sounds fairly ideal from the list you mentioned. (I'm just a person who is also interested in Pittsburgh).

Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Granted I am not in Pittsburgh either.

BUT...I have lived in both Portland Oregon and Minneapolis.

From your last post, Minneapolis is definitely a city that is NOT a magnet, yet offers a lot. However, personally, it was brutally cold for most of the year, and the public transportation isn't that great.

Personally Pittsburgh sounds fairly ideal from the list you mentioned. (I'm just a person who is also interested in Pittsburgh).
I have just begun my visiting and Minneapolis was the first place. I went there this spring and found a lot to like. I know about the brutally cold winters but I like the cold weather. I actually prefer the very cold dry weather to the dampness we have in Portland for so many months. It's still on my list but I want to check out other cities. I am trying to investigate anything that looks good to me and Pittsburgh is a new discovery for me.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Hi Minervah,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It explains a lot. I am glad that Tiger Beer commented on Minneapolis, because it does seem like a great city, if you don't mind a bit of cold.

Funny, I just posted that Ashland has become very Senior-oriented, to the point that schools are closing and very few kids are in church. But I do know what you mean about Portland drawing immigrants despite the economy. People take a vacation to the Oregon Coast, and feel "Oregon is calling to me..I just no longer feel at home in [insert California, New York, or sundry midwestern or eastern state here]." Also, I can sympathize with just wanting a change. Life is short and you might as well check out the places that appeal to you. There are many here who will no doubt provide great feedback, but my "Gestalt" impression is that Pittsburgh should be on your shortlist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh