Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Did You Move to Greater Pittsburgh From?
Elsewhere in PA 13 14.29%
New England (ME, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH) 6 6.59%
Mid-Atlantic (NJ, NY, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV) 18 19.78%
Southeast (NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, TN, KY, MS, LA, AR) 8 8.79%
Midwest (OH, IN, IL, MI, MN, WI, IA, MO) 8 8.79%
Southwest (AZ, NM, TX, OK) 3 3.30%
Great Plains (KS, NE, SD, ND) 1 1.10%
Inter-Mountain West (CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, NV) 0 0%
Pacific Northwest (WA, OR) 1 1.10%
California 4 4.40%
Alaska 0 0%
Hawaii 1 1.10%
Canada 2 2.20%
Mexico 0 0%
Central America & Caribbean 0 0%
South America 0 0%
Africa 0 0%
Europe 2 2.20%
Asia 0 0%
Australia & Oceania 1 1.10%
I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area. 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

I just nostalgically read through the entirety of this thread and was hoping to "bump" it now that we've had many new members join since the latest activity nearly two years ago.

Where did yinz all move here from, n'at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
This poll illustrates Pittsburgh's connectivity with the rest of the Northeast.

As of the date of this post, 27 people moved to Pittsburgh from elsewhere in the Northeast: 14 from the Mid-Atlantic outside of Pennsylvania, nine from other parts of Pennsylvania, and four from New England. Four people moved to Pittsburgh from the West: two from the southwest, one from California, and one from the Pacific Northwest.

Seven people moved to Pittsburgh from the Midwest (including the Great Plains), and five people moved from the South. Nobody moved from Alaska, and one person moved from Hawaii. There are also five international immigrants: two from Canada, two from Europe, and one from Australia. There are 17 native Pittsburghers.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,477 times
I moved here from OH... but I was only there for 14 miserable months... otherwise a lifelong Pennsylvanian... so I will enter "Elsewhere in PA".

Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM

606 posts, read 944,462 times
Decatur, GA.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Decatur, GA.
Not far from Stone Mountain---a place I've always wanted to visit (even more than Atlanta! )

Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,136 times
Another native here. Born and raised in Hempfield Township.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

As of the date of this post, 27 people moved to Pittsburgh from elsewhere in the Northeast: 14 from the Mid-Atlantic outside of Pennsylvania, nine from other parts of Pennsylvania, and four from New England. Four people moved to Pittsburgh from the West: two from the southwest, one from California, and one from the Pacific Northwest.

Seven people moved to Pittsburgh from the Midwest (including the Great Plains), and five people moved from the South. Nobody moved from Alaska, and one person moved from Hawaii. There are also five international immigrants: two from Canada, two from Europe, and one from Australia. There are 17 native Pittsburghers.
I don't really buy into Pittsburgh having a dominant connection with one region over another. We're solidly representing the confluence of three distinct regions---Appalachia, Midwest, and Northeast---and I really feel as if this hybrid is part of what makes Pittsburgh (and Pittsburghers) so special. We attract younger people from rural PA who seek the amenities, action, and culture of a major metropolitan area while still being "close enough" to mom and dad to drive home in a few hours in the event of a family crisis. We attract people, such as myself, who have fled the immediate I-95 "BosWash" Corridor in pursuit of less stress, less congestion, a lower cost-of-living, and friendlier faces. We attract people from the Upper Midwest who view us as having a more robust employment situation than their own hometowns yet still don't want to trek too far from their roots. We've also attracted some migrants on a whim from all over the country who have been lured here by all of our rankings, including "America's Most Livable City". To that extent just the other day I overheard a few younger males in South Oakland near Mad Mex comparing Pittsburgh to Austin, which is supposedly "like super rad trendy awesome OMG!". While I believe people like Katiana have called such rankings "meaningless" in the past I will gladly admit that Pittsburgh's ranking was indeed one helpful contributor in my decision to relocate here a few years ago, and I'm sure others have also been lured here, in part, due to such rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I moved here from OH... but I was only there for 14 miserable months... otherwise a lifelong Pennsylvanian... so I will enter "Elsewhere in PA".
Why all the open disdain on this sub-forum for Ohio? Do people in OH begrudge PA residents in the same fashion? Just curious. We had a terrible day-trip in Cleveland last year and left with the impression it was a far inferior city to Pittsburgh, but we're considering going back this year to explore more. We enjoyed a day-trip to Youngstown to peruse the FREE Butler Art Museum, FREE botanical gardens, and a great farmers' market in nearby Canfield. We're considering an overnighter to the Hocking Hills for some hiking. We like Graeter's Ice Cream and Skyline Chili (albeit a tad on the salty side). We loved the built environment and overall character of Cincinnati, although we felt as if it was too LGBT-unfriendly and socially conservative for a major U.S. city. I'd like to visit Marietta and Columbus at some time in the future and might prance around in Steubenville while heading to Weirton soon for the pepperoni rolls recommended by Q-Tip Motha in another thread. I trip over OH license plates here, so obviously OH residents like PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Another native here. Born and raised in Hempfield Township.
Thanks for participating!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't really buy into Pittsburgh having a dominant connection with one region over another. We're solidly representing the confluence of three distinct regions---Appalachia, Midwest, and Northeast---and I really feel as if this hybrid is part of what makes Pittsburgh (and Pittsburghers) so special. We attract younger people from rural PA who seek the amenities, action, and culture of a major metropolitan area while still being "close enough" to mom and dad to drive home in a few hours in the event of a family crisis. We attract people, such as myself, who have fled the immediate I-95 "BosWash" Corridor in pursuit of less stress, less congestion, a lower cost-of-living, and friendlier faces. We attract people from the Upper Midwest who view us as having a more robust employment situation than their own hometowns yet still don't want to trek too far from their roots. We've also attracted some migrants on a whim from all over the country who have been lured here by all of our rankings, including "America's Most Livable City". To that extent just the other day I overheard a few younger males in South Oakland near Mad Mex comparing Pittsburgh to Austin, which is supposedly "like super rad trendy awesome OMG!". While I believe people like Katiana have called such rankings "meaningless" in the past I will gladly admit that Pittsburgh's ranking was indeed one helpful contributor in my decision to relocate here a few years ago, and I'm sure others have also been lured here, in part, due to such rankings.
^ I will admit there is a strong "boomeranger" relationship between Pittsburgh and the DC/NoVA/MD area. When I used to live in NoVA and would travel northwards up U.S. Route 15 towards my hometown near the Pocono Mountains I would often see long holiday-related traffic back-ups on I-70 West, heading from Frederick, MD towards Breezewood, PA (and presumably much of that traffic consisted of Pittsburgh expatriates living in Metro DC and returning to visit family for the holidays).

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM

995 posts, read 1,116,144 times
I was born in Allegheny General, and grew up in Glendale (technically Scott Twp) and Carnegie. Was forcibly moved to North Fayette in my teens lol. Have lived in Crafton, Ross Twp, Brighton Heights, and then permanently back to North Fayette with a 2 year stint in Orlando. (I despised Orlando's heat/bugs/weather and was completely miserable there, but it was due to an undiagnosed medical issue which explained everything when finally discovered.)

I've got family spread out across the country, and have traveled. I can't imagine living anywhere else again, Pittsburgh is home.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM

147 posts, read 293,054 times
Moving to Pittsburgh in August for school from Frederick, MD. Very excited to live in such a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh