Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I

Call me crazy, but I actually think Youngstown, Akron, and Toledo are all more interesting cities than Cleveland. Cleveland was just so bland... I loved Youngstown's downtown and historic neighborhoods, in spite of the fact they were pretty dead. The architecture and setting had a lot of character.
Youngstown is a dump to be honest. I don't even know if that place is open for business anymore. Was just there a month or so ago. Wow, ghost town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not enough blue to carry that state. The state is red and is a midwest style place.
the state (ohio) is red sometimes and blue other times, in other words, purple, like all other states. whatever the current president is, that is what the state was at the last election.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 AM

202 posts, read 367,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the state (ohio) is red sometimes and blue other times, in other words, purple, like all other states. whatever the current president is, that is what the state was at the last election.
Yep! Pretty much.

And PA only had approximately 300K more votes for Obama than Ohio did. Not THAT much in the grand scheme of things. I think the two states are far more similar as far as voting records go than that poster gives credit. The difference I think comes down to the fact that PA doesn't have a Cincinnati!

Politics aside, I've enjoyed reading some of the thoughts many of you have had regarding the IDEA of "Cleveburgh" (not actually using it as a name on tourism pamphlets ). I've spent far more time on this thread than I probably should have, but it was great hearing different thoughts on the topic.

If anyone is interested in seeing the finished "vlog" covering our Pittsburgh travels, feel free to DM me. And if any Pittsburghers would like to come up and see parts of Cleveland you more than likely have missed - feel free to DM me as well! I'll be on Euclid Ave. around the corner from E. 4th within the next couple of months and will be taking an active role in promoting the city/region.

Thanks again everyone and cheers!
Joe

Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Youngstown is a dump to be honest. I don't even know if that place is open for business anymore. Was just there a month or so ago. Wow, ghost town.
Like anywhere though, it has some nice areas.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Like anywhere though, it has some nice areas.
Gorgeous architecture in poor, half-vacant neighborhoods does not compute as "dump" to me, although it does to many many people

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I kind of liked how quiet downtown Youngstown was, and also the area around the campus. You could hear a pin drop. It's like being in the country except you are surrounded by gorgeous architecture.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
The downtown Youngstown skyline looks like it's frozen in time from afar. Beautiful deco buildings from the 1910s and 20s. Except for one 1960s monstrosity on the square. Up close, though, it's clear to see that there is no retail, but i did notice some restaurants.

It's not a dump, but it has been in hard times since "Black Friday" in 1977, when Youngstown Sheet & Tube announced it was closing and throwing 5,000 people out of work. The steel mills started having trouble in the 1960s, I believe, and by the 1980s the entire manufacturing sector in the valley was on its knees.

The 1960s also gave rise to the development of Boardman and the Southern Park Mall, which sucked the life out of downtown. Got to have that FREE parking!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
As I have noted before, culturally and historically, Pittsburgh is really the capital city of its own little region, neither East Coast nor Great Lakes. And economically, it has strong connections both ways, and indeed traditionally has served as a gateway between the regions on either side.

In that sense, I am a little skeptical of the "Cleveburgh" notion to the extent it implies a prioritization of Cleveland over, say, NY, Philly, or DC. But I completely endorse the notion that Pittsburgh should be seeking stronger network ties between itself and all the major cities around it, including Cleveland.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times
For more on Ohio politics, check out this video by Cleveland comedian Mike Polk:

YouTube - ‪Ohio Secession! Red State No More!‬‏

Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As I have noted before, culturally and historically, Pittsburgh is really the capital city of its own little region, neither East Coast nor Great Lakes. And economically, it has strong connections both ways, and indeed traditionally has served as a gateway between the regions on either side.

In that sense, I am a little skeptical of the "Cleveburgh" notion to the extent it implies a prioritization of Cleveland over, say, NY, Philly, or DC. But I completely endorse the notion that Pittsburgh should be seeking stronger network ties between itself and all the major cities around it, including Cleveland.
Brian! Stop making sense, or you'll be banned!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh