Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times

Advertisements

OUr area here in NJ is so over run with illegals I don't feel like Im living in NJ; I feel like I'm living in Central America. It's one of the reasons I can't stand being in this area anymore. It's not just in my town anymore, but many many of the surrounding areas. People are being pushed out of this area because of this. All the local shops and restaurants are mostly Spanish speaking now.

Even though I speak Spanish and am of Hispanic descent, I don't look like your typical Latin person so even I get discriminated against in my own town. SOmetimes someone will say something in Spanish that's derogatory and I turn around and curse them off in Spanish and then they look at me and feel stupid. It's horrible.

Does anyone have this problem in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Illegal immigrants are very minimal here. The ones who are illegal are usually dependants supported by legal family members, usually from countries other than Mexico, such as Pakistan.

Most of our legal immigrants are highly educated. There are very few uneducated/unskilled immigrants. It's difficult find someone to hire to do yard work and other small jobs in Pittsburgh!

Most Pittsburghers don't really hold an opinion about illegal immigrants because they really don't impact our community.

The greater Pittsburgh metro area is predominantly european white and african american (under 20%) with very small percentages of everything else. The suburbs are mostly white.

If you're looking for diveristy, Pittsburgh isn't the right metro area for you.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
There aren't very many immigrants in Pittsburgh these days, let alone illegal. Some people would probably just assume that you're Sicilian or something.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Some people would probably just assume that you're Sicilian or something.
You're absolutely right. I think more than some. When I do happen to hear women speaking Spanish (very rare) on the bus, I'm always surprised because I thought they were Italian!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
There are very few in the Pittsburgh area so you will be good to go here. It's a shame to me that illegals have made a lot of a people have negative view about Hispanics and immigrants even if they are illegal.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM

222 posts, read 439,059 times
having very few illegals in pittsburgh is probably a good thing.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There are very few in the Pittsburgh area so you will be good to go here. It's a shame to me that illegals have made a lot of a people have negative view about Hispanics and immigrants even if they are illegal.
Not all illegal immigrants are Hispanic, keep in mind. There are plenty of Irish or Polish or Chinese people, etc. who come to the US on a tourist visa and never leave.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 AM

222 posts, read 439,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not all illegal immigrants are Hispanic, keep in mind. There are plenty of Irish or Polish or Chinese people, etc. who come to the US on a tourist visa and never leave.

Good point

Old 06-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. That's why I said our illegals "are usually from other countries."

I know some illegal immigrants. They're not a burden on our society, not changing the demographic, and not stealing jobs. They're just dependants of other family members who came earlier and became citizens. After being separated for a decade or two, they slowly start coming over on a tourist visa and never go back.

It's actually quite sad how families get separated during the immigration process. One family I know still has a younger son who is stuck in their homeland, still waiting for a visa. The older brother came here 20 years ago on a education visa and became a citizen. Through the past 10 years, his immediate family (parents and other siblings) has been slowing arriving on tourist visas. At one point, there were 8 of them in a two bedroom apartment because his mother and three sisters arrived all at once. They all live in an appropriate large house now. There are way more than 8 of them now. Some have subsequently become legal via marriage. But they all continue to live together to support the ones who are illegal.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
Have no idea about illegals, but I can tell you we have been invaded with tons of India/Pakistan people over the past year in the Pgh area, most being brought in by Catholic Charities and other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh