Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times

Advertisements

Pitt, Penn State to renew football rivalry in 2016

The rivalry is somewhat restored - you just have to wait a while.

I guess that means that the actual players for these games are currently in something like the 10th grade?

Last edited by Johnny C; 06-14-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Pitt, Penn State to renew football rivalry in 2016

The rivalry is somewhat restored - you just have to wait a while.

I guess that means that the actual players for these games are currently in something like the 10th grade?

Bigger question is if JoPa will still be coaching?

For a man who I'm sure loves the game, he did a great disservice to college football by ending one of the great rivalries.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Bigger question is if JoPa will still be coaching?

For a man who I'm sure loves the game, he did a great disservice to college football by ending one of the great rivalries.
First of all, Joe PA tried years ago to create an Eastern football conference, which would have included PSU, Pitt, Rutgers, Boston College, Syracuse, etc. People laugh at his idea. Pitt had no interest in this.
Second of all, Joe PA pushed hard for Pitt to be included in Big10 expansion, but Pitt's program is simply garbage and they play at Heinz Field, which they can't even sell out.
Third, from what I understand, PSU offered to renew the "rivalry" several times. They simply wanted more games at Beaver stadium. Pitt refused. The fact is, PSU plays one top program per year out of conference. Last year and this year it is Alabama. Is Pitt Alabama? Umm, no. Pitt sucks, even for a Big East team. They simply are not good. PSU can sellout Beaver stadium and play temple, buffalo, akron, and kent state every year...or they can sell it out once by playing Pitt, then have to travel to Heinz the following year and make nothing. Pitt needs PSU to sell out Heinz field. PSU certainly doesn't need Pitt to sellout Beaver stadium. Nobody cares to watch Pitt play USF, Connecticut, Syracuse, or whatever horrific team they are playing every week. Pitt and WVU should have jumped ship for the ACC years ago when everyone else did. Sure, the ACC sucks too, but it's still better than the Big East.
Oh yeah, JoePa is probably on skype right now stealing recruits Pitt morons thought they actually had a shot at.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
I don't see any real advantage to Pitt in renewing this series.

Penn State's fan base is largely local to western Pennsylvania, I can't see this game really filling up the hotels and restaurants for the weekend as it would if they could attract a team with a more widespread and prosperous alumni population.

I would prefer to see more games in Pittsburgh with a (for example) Notre Dame, Texas or Ohio State instead.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
The Big East is designed to be tops in basketball and is as you say pretty useless in football. That's why the football power teams left.

I don't know if it really matters anymore that Pitt plays Penn State from a football perspective. From an emotional perspective? Hell yeah people will get into that.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't see any real advantage to Pitt in renewing this series.

Penn State's fan base is largely local to western Pennsylvania, I can't see this game really filling up the hotels and restaurants for the weekend as it would if they could attract a team with a more widespread and prosperous alumni population.

I would prefer to see more games in Pittsburgh with a (for example) Notre Dame, Texas or Ohio State instead.
I've always found more interest and liking for Penn State in Eastern PA than the Western half of the state since we have Pitt here.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I've always found more interest and liking for Penn State in Eastern PA than the Western half of the state since we have Pitt here.
I don't think it's just Pitt. I think there are just more big names colleges around. I see a nearly as many WVU fans as Pitt fans. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more OSU alumni/fans too. Disgusting. There just aren't as much big time colleges in eastern PA for football. Who cares about Temple football there, besides Bill Cosby???

Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Nearly as many WVU as Pitt fans? I don't think so. The ratio may be higher as you get down into Fayette, Greene, and Washington counties, but not in general. From what I've seen, Pitt is far and away tops, with WVU and PSU lagging behind yet with a decent following. OSU would have to be a very distant 4th

Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
First of all, Joe PA tried years ago to create an Eastern football conference, which would have included PSU, Pitt, Rutgers, Boston College, Syracuse, etc. People laugh at his idea. Pitt had no interest in this.
Second of all, Joe PA pushed hard for Pitt to be included in Big10 expansion, but Pitt's program is simply garbage and they play at Heinz Field, which they can't even sell out.
Third, from what I understand, PSU offered to renew the "rivalry" several times. They simply wanted more games at Beaver stadium. Pitt refused. The fact is, PSU plays one top program per year out of conference. Last year and this year it is Alabama. Is Pitt Alabama? Umm, no. Pitt sucks, even for a Big East team. They simply are not good. PSU can sellout Beaver stadium and play temple, buffalo, akron, and kent state every year...or they can sell it out once by playing Pitt, then have to travel to Heinz the following year and make nothing. Pitt needs PSU to sell out Heinz field. PSU certainly doesn't need Pitt to sellout Beaver stadium. Nobody cares to watch Pitt play USF, Connecticut, Syracuse, or whatever horrific team they are playing every week. Pitt and WVU should have jumped ship for the ACC years ago when everyone else did. Sure, the ACC sucks too, but it's still better than the Big East.
Oh yeah, JoePa is probably on skype right now stealing recruits Pitt morons thought they actually had a shot at.

Public Service Announcement: Bitterness and frustration arising from Penn state being irrelevant and playing second fiddle to OSU and Michigan this past decade has led to the above post.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Agreed!
Wonder why he blinked and allowed the home/away after all these years......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh