Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Which of the above does not describe you, golfie?
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Private home in Fox Chapel area. I don't know whose. Doesn't Dan Rooney have a house there somewhere?
It has to be Teresa Heinz's estate because the staff was already cleared by Secret Service during the Kerry campaign. That's why the Obamas stayed there last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It has to be Teresa Heinz's estate because the staff was already cleared by Secret Service during the Kerry campaign. That's why the Obamas stayed there last time.
True, makes sense. I wonder why he's coming in tonight though? It's not so far that it would really necessitate that. They must be having some private event there tonight as well.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is no doubt a political move, but that is okay. He has done a lot for our area. We are on the radar of him and I will take it. So far all the publicity has been very good.

As far as him saying, "clinging to our guns" kind of mentality. He was just telling the truth, which is pretty rare from a president.

I don't want this to turn into a "how good is Obama doing thread". That wasn't the point. It is the effect on Pittsburgh. The effect is GOOD and it is good for CMU to get robotics recognition, which is in turn good for Pittsburgh. I love it.

No more comments on Obama's job. How about what the visit means to Pittsburgh.
This. He wasn't talking about Pittsburgh or the burbs though with this comment. He was so right especially once you get out of Allegheny County. Hell, people act like that in the city and burbs too even.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
This. He wasn't talking about Pittsburgh or the burbs though with this comment. He was so right especially once you get out of Allegheny County. Hell, people act like that in the city and burbs too even.
Yes, he was talking about small town PA. He is correct and I wish people would just speak that plainly all the time.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, he was talking about small town PA. He is correct and I wish people would just speak that plainly all the time.
I know. That comment just gave those same people a reason to not like him no matter what while being ignorant to the issues and comparing where they stand to him. I find it amazing how many ignorant and stupid people live in this area despite the above average education attainments of the region.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I know. That comment just gave those same people a reason to not like him no matter what while being ignorant to the issues and comparing where they stand to him. I find it amazing how many ignorant and stupid people live in this area despite the above average education attainments of the region.
Sadly, he seems to be more and more of a politician than someone that I care for much. Oh well, nothing could be worse than who was in there before. What a mess he made with all those lives lost and all that money spent on nothing.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Sadly, he seems to be more and more of a politician than someone that I care for much. Oh well, nothing could be worse than who was in there before. What a mess he made with all those lives lost and all that money spent on nothing.
Agree but besides one or two GOP candidates they are all 10x worse than Obama ever could be so I think he'll probably win again in 2012 as long as another recession doesn't happen again. Ok, I'm done with politics for the day.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Hopefully, this event doesn't screw me up, I'm just a few blocks from the event in L'ville.

I don't think the motorcade should be going through the strip, but across the 40th St. Bridge. That's the way I'd go if I were going to the airport from here.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Hopefully, this event doesn't screw me up, I'm just a few blocks from the event in L'ville.

I don't think the motorcade should be going through the strip, but across the 40th St. Bridge. That's the way I'd go if I were going to the airport from here.
They might do that, but in the past they've gone through the 10th Street Bypass even to get to some not-too-obvious places from there. It's all up to what the Secret Service and police decide I guess.

But then tonight presumably he'll go to Fox Chapel. We don't know where he's staying for certain, just a guess. They have apparently released that he is arriving tonight. Given that, then I would expect them to use Ft Duquesne Bridge and Rt 28. But, they may not. Again it really depends upon what is better for security issues, not even necessarily what is better for speed.

For you in Lawrenceville the problem will be around event time in the morning. Once he's there, you should have a block of time that won't quite as disruptive. But before and after that you'll have issues that could vary depending upon what else he does.

If you can get out of that area early and stay out until mid-afternoon, that is the best plan. If you mean you work there rather than live there (or both), then, well, plan on being inconvenienced should you need to drive at certain times.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
[quote=h_curtis;19721682]Yes, he was talking about small town PA. He is correct and I wish people would just speak that plainly all the time.[/QUUOTE]

He never mentioned once that he was directing it only at small town pa...and even if he was, does that makes his insults appropriate? It's hilarious to see someone spit right in your face, then watch you practically crawl 5 miles on broken glass to grovel at their feet. It's been a very long time since the people of western pa had enough self-respect to defend themselves. I guess a generation under the heavy boot of liberalism will destroy anyone's sense of dignity. Hopefully the secret service has the authority to shoot on sight anyone that isn't from the hip, progressive east end. I'd hate for king Obama to have to have to get close one of those common folks from mckees rocks. Gross.

Also, what's the chance of the first black president visiting homewood, beltzhoover, wilkinsburg, or Lincoln-larimer? ZERO!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh