Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 80,881 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into moving to Pitt for a few months now. I have an agent that answers my questions and shows me around. I think total I've spent about 5 hours with him looking at houses over the past 4 months. I didn't really have a problem with him until recently. I feel like he's being less than honest with me. He told me about a particular charge and said all companies in Pitt charge it. Well I called those other companies, just inquiring about their service and various charges. I didn't tell them what was going on. And none of those companies charge this particular thing. I also talked to a family member who's an agent out of state and they told me the same thing. So when I went back to this agent with this new info I found, I feel that his answers were less than honest and kind of run around-ish. Now I feel that a trust has been broken and I don't want to work with him anymore. What do I do? I believe I've only signed papers that say he can show me houses, I'm going to double check tonight. I understand that he needs to make money too, but I'm not a fool and I won't be had. I don't want to get into a big long discussion, my mind is made up, I just want to tell him that I want to part ways. Have any of you ever had to deal with something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
We never signed with an agent as a "buyer" even though we used one. She was a friend of the family so not sure if that mattered or not. The only "fee" you might be charged is a couple hundred bucks at closing and that was charged by Howard Hanna. The buyer's agent gets paid by the seller through the commission split, which on avg. in PGH is 6% (split in half b/w agents) but it is negotiable when you put your house on the market.

My co-worker fired two different agents when trying to sell his house but I think he was the one being difficult, not them, but I have to work with him and won't say it to his face!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM

I understand the commission thing. I have absolutely no problem with that. What I have a problem with is a company trying to get extra money for their services, isn't that what the commission is for in the first place? The point is that even if what I'm being told is true, this agent is telling me that everyone does it. But I've asked 4 other companies and they all say the same thing. They charge an admin fee for paperwork. Even if that is what this extra charge is, that's not what this company calls it. So how can 4 different companies who have no idea that I've talked to the other companies be telling me one thing and this company is telling me another? I just feel that if I stay with this company, what is going to get thrown at me last minute? It's making me very uneasy.....

Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
The only "fee" you might be charged is a couple hundred bucks at closing and that was charged by Howard Hanna.
What is that fee? Sounds like something new. I don't recall agencies charging anything above the commission.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM

92 posts, read 145,753 times
the commission to the buyers agent comes from the seller so that shouldnt be an issue, but when you buy a home there are multiple fees you pay that are normal and some that can be scams...

however, I;m pretty sure the doc you would have signed with the agent (probably called a business relationship agreement) has something in it that says you can notify them of termination in writng with X amount of days notice.....so check that

Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM

I looked through all the paperwork and I believe all I signed is the consumer notice and on that it states that it's not a contract. So I think I'm safe. I just need to figure out how to deal with this company. From what I'm told, there are fees that are standard across the board and I'm fine with that, but more and more agents are trying to throw in extra commissions. That obviously doesn't sit well with me. So I have to find a new agent I guess. Wish me luck!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
There was a thread about this fee back in 2009: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...roker-fee.html

I paid the fee, which is a pittance in the grand scheme of things, and likely goes to the brokerage, and not the individual agent. He is simply following his company's policy, not trying to nickel and dime you for personal gain.

The people that answer the phones at real estate agencies are generally the newbies who are training to become agents. I wouldn't be surprised if you got the wrong answer from the people with whom you spoke, as I do believe that all the major brokers charge such a fee. I know for a fact that Prudential charges such a fee, as I paid it, and based on the aforementioned thread Howard Hanna and Coldwell Banker also charge a similar fee.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and fire the guy; you've probably already soured the relationship enough that he isn't going to do you any favors.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri30 View Post
I looked through all the paperwork and I believe all I signed is the consumer notice and on that it states that it's not a contract. So I think I'm safe. I just need to figure out how to deal with this company. From what I'm told, there are fees that are standard across the board and I'm fine with that, but more and more agents are trying to throw in extra commissions. That obviously doesn't sit well with me. So I have to find a new agent I guess. Wish me luck!
If you no longer feel comfortable with him, then the relationship is over...simple as that. You can't have a business relationship with someone that you don't trust. From my experience in the industry, real estate fees are very basic, cut and dry. Mortgage brokers are typically the ones that add questionable fees and they know how to hide them very well.

From what I've read, about half if the real estate agents in the county make less than $25k a year. Firms are desperate to hire people, but nobody wants to work commission because they are skeptical about he poor market. Even in Pittsburgh, the market isn't what it once was. Years ago, I could stay in the south hills and make a killing. Now, there are still plenty of buyers for brokers like myself, but I'm chasing them. I'm going to cranberry, Hempfield, murrysville, the city...all over. Can't stay in one target area anymore, but I don't complain because I know people in phoenix and Vegas that bragged about making 6 figures 5 years ago and are now changing careers. Most likely your agent ie either a moron who screwed up, or someone desperate to pay the bills that figured he would slip in a few extra bucks without you noticing. You should look elsewhere. Also, it's not unusual to use 2 agents. If you know the house you want and are fairky familiar with the neighborhood, then I'd suggest going straight to a mortgage broker and skip the real estate agent.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Most likely your agent ie either a moron who screwed up, or someone desperate to pay the bills that figured he would slip in a few extra bucks without you noticing. You should look elsewhere. Also, it's not unusual to use 2 agents. If you know the house you want and are fairky familiar with the neighborhood, then I'd suggest going straight to a mortgage broker and skip the real estate agent.
1. It is unlikely some agent tried to slip in some fee. I suspect it is a fee that the company is trying to collect. Sounds like Howard Hanna is adding a fee, but I am guessing just from what someone said earlier. Agents don't add fees companies might though.

2. Working with two agents is a lowlife thing to do. Everyone has access to the same properties unless there is a pocket listing or so out there, but in this market pocket listings would most likely be a few very high end properties and those listings are almost always way overpriced, because what motivated seller is going to want to just have some agency hold a listing with no multilist? If I knew the person I was spending time with and dragging them around was working with another agent, I would drop them. No time for that if you are a real full time agent. Time is money.

OP: If you are uncomfortable, then move on to another agent. If you are a real buyer and are going to buy something, have a look on Homes or some good website and look at the areas you are interested in. Have a look at the few agents that are strong in that market place and call one of them. If you are a tire kicker and might buy something in a year or two, then I wouldn't call one of those big time agents. You know why? They really don't want you because they will notice you are not a real buyer. They will feed you information, but won't spend tons of time with you. They have high priority buyers and they will get taken care of first. The best agents have to weed out the tire kickers because there is only so much time in the day, but if you are a real buyer, they are very professional, or at least should be. Usually bad agents aren't all that busy, unless they are very connected with a builder or the husband is CEO of PNC or some such situation that feeds them.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm actually kind of disturbed by this whole situation. I am ready to buy a house, I have the pre approval and I've found a place that I want to put a bid on. Then this came up. And honestly it's not so much the the fee. While I think it's greedy, I understand that the agent didn't invent it bc it's on the company paperwork. What bothers me is the explanation I got. I'm a girl in my 20's doing this for the first time by myself. I hate to say it, but some people may think I'm an easy target and can tell me anything and I will believe it. At the end of the day, someone is lying to me, whether it's this current agency or the other agency's I've spoken to. That doesn't make me too eager to work with any particular agent. And I also feel like the agent tried to rush me once I said that I found a place I liked and wanted to put a bid down. The place has been on the market for several months and has had no offers so I doubt it's going anywhere right now. I am allowed to question whatever I feel needs to be questioned. Agents go into this particular business knowing that. If that sours a relationship, so be it. But no one, other than myself, is going to look out for me. It would be irresponsible to not ask questions and make sure I feel comfortable with the whole situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh