Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM

398 posts, read 702,717 times

Advertisements

Driver who struck girls in Penn Hills had no license

An adult (1) mows down two girls (2) who were walking on the d@#m sidewalk (3) and turns out to have been unlicensed (4), yet they won't release the driver's name (5) and will only say that she will "likely face a citation" and, if the one sister takes a turn for the even worse, "could be charged with operating without a license" (6). Could? Could?!?!

I could see not releasing the name if the driver was a minor, or that the situation might be different if the girls had darted into the road. But damn, how do the cumulative effect of points 1 through 4 possibly result in 5 and 6? She was unlicensed and behind the wheel. "Ongoing investigation" or not, why hasn't she at least been charged with operating without a license?

This reeks of mayor's-daughter-protection type of nonsense... or are citations a lot more serious in PA than they have been anywhere else I've lived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,110,770 times
I'll wait until there is a trail, and the facts are out there, before I get too upset about this.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,043,149 times
Since there really isn't a reason for the police to be forthcoming--this isn't, for example, a suspect at large they are trying to find--I guess I don't see any significance to the limited information available so far.

Obviously the big question is how/why the driver lost control, and they will need an answer for that question before deciding on a final list of charges.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,874,377 times
It could simply be a case of a medical issue like a seizure caused the accident and they're being lenient on "big ticket" charges. You never know.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,709,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
It could simply be a case of a medical issue like a seizure caused the accident and they're being lenient on "big ticket" charges. You never know.
I agree with Caroline, who cares if it was a medical situation or otherwise, if it wasn't a minor, the name should be published.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,043,149 times
In neither the justice system nor journalism is there a standard norm that the names of criminal suspects should be revealed prior to the filing of charges (it happens sometimes, but isn't automatic by any means). In fact, see here:

Society of Professional Journalists: SPJ Code of Ethics

Quote:
Journalists should:
. . .
— Be judicious about naming criminal suspects before the formal filing of charges.
Of course people are free to disagree with these norms, but my point is that it doesn't have any particular significance if you don't see a suspect's name published while they are being investigated and before they are charged.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I agree with Caroline, who cares if it was a medical situation or otherwise, if it wasn't a minor, the name should be published.
Why? What does it do for you to know that THAT specific person was involved in an accident? All it does is cause a media circus depending on the reported events, and then by the time they get their day in court they've already been found guilty by public opinion, and it doesn't matter if they get cleared of all charges because the gossips have decided that they're guilty no matter what.

Like Casey Anthony. She was found innocent, but everyone says she's guilty and her life is pretty much ruined despite a not guilty verdict.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,709,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post

Like Casey Anthony. She was found innocent, but everyone says she's guilty and her life is pretty much ruined despite a not guilty verdict.
And there's already one juror who has left the stated of Florida and is in hiding, and the rest are all complaining about how upset they because they know they did wrong.

Some of you couldn't identify the truth if it smacked you hard in the face.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,012,601 times
Quote:
It is odd. I am sure it will come out at some point.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
And there's already one juror who has left the stated of Florida and is in hiding, and the rest are all complaining about how upset they because they know they did wrong.

Some of you couldn't identify the truth if it smacked you hard in the face.
I like how you ignored my question and focused on my example. Cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh