Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:58 AM
tkw tkw started this thread

2 posts, read 7,504 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just got a new job in Verona. We have been thinking about moving closer, since we are about 30 mins away.

Is Verona a nice town, or is there anything close to there, that would be an ideal place for a young couple to live? We would like to buy a house soon, but not sure what the market is like there.

Any suggestions about the market and areas, would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:01 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Parts of Verona are quite cute. Overall, I think it's a perfectly fine town. Next door Oakmont is nicer though, it's a really charming place, maybe look there? The property will also be more expensive in Oakmont.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,769 times
Default Rosedale!

I would recommend the Rosedale area. It is a beautiful little neighborhood in Verona. You are 5 minutes from Allegheny River Blvd. Homes are reasonably priced (avg. home price may be $80-$110K). The neighborhood is well maintained. There are lots of young couples, and lots of kids. I think the best part of Rosedale is it's private swim club. The only downside is the school district its in -- Penn Hills. You said you were young so this wont apply to you right away. I live in Plum Boro which is about 15 minutes from Verona.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,554 times
Default Good Luck

Verona used to be a GREAT place to live but, not now. It is cheap to buy or rent and that is the problem because all you get is rif raf in. I have been in Verona most of my life and I am now trying to sell my house due to the ignorant and disrespectful people moving in I no longer feel safe where I am at nor do I like what Verona is becoming. If I were you I would go towards Rosedale or across the river to Springdale. Great School and nice atmosphere.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 630Marine View Post
Verona used to be a GREAT place to live but, not now. It is cheap to buy or rent and that is the problem because all you get is rif raf in. I have been in Verona most of my life and I am now trying to sell my house due to the ignorant and disrespectful people moving in I no longer feel safe where I am at nor do I like what Verona is becoming. If I were you I would go towards Rosedale or across the river to Springdale. Great School and nice atmosphere.
what kind of people live there?

I live in Shadyside and drive through east liberty as well as Verona on my way to work. It seems like a great little suburb to me.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM

84 posts, read 259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 630Marine View Post
I agree. It is getting much worse. The area below Allegheny River Blvd is terrible!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,207 times
Verona is an alright town, but compared to Oakmont it's a trailer park.

If you have to move close to Verona, move to the other (not incredibly rich) side of the tracks in Oakmont.

Springdale is kinda far to be living in if you want to live close to Verona.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 PM

89 posts, read 206,610 times
In Verona, the business district is located at the bottom of a steep hill. The further up the hill you go, the better off you are. It's not that the houses are particularly nicer at the top of the hill; it's just that you're away from the hustle and bustle and congestion of the main drag in Verona.

Just make sure you buy or rent in the Riverview school district, NOT Penn Hills.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 AM

33 posts, read 152,731 times
So where and what is Plum Boro?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Plum is ok. People who live there like it and the school is supposed to be pretty good. It has a lot of shopping area(s). It's a large area, I think near 30 square miles. East Oakmont is Plum and a popular place to live. It's mainly farther east than Oakmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh