Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times

Advertisements

South Hills Village is confirmed to get a Dick's Sporting Goods and Target into their old Boscov's space. Dick's was never rumored to move into space at Monroeville Mall. Wal-Mart was rumored for a while to take some space at Monroeville Mall, but so far, that's just a rumor.

Maybe I'm being critical, but 12-screen is almost kind of small by today's standards. The new Cinemark in Robinson only has 16 screens and they sell out showtimes like crazy. The Destinta in neighboring North Versailles has 22 screens--that's a nice theater.

I am kind of interested as to how you convert an existing building into a modern movie theater. I think that will be quite the interesting process. Will the existing JCPenney building at Monroeville Mall become one level to allow for the large screens and stadium seating? I'm rather interested of how this will all take place.

It also sounds as if part of the former Boscov's building will still be available for use. If the Wal-Mart rumors have any truth to them, Wal-Mart or any other retailer could possibly occupy that space.

It's all very interesting--and at least it's some good news for Monroeville Mall. Now if we can only do something of worth with Century III...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
They better be selective about what movies they offer, otherwise that theater will bring loads of trouble to that mall.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM

56 posts, read 99,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
They better be selective about what movies they offer, otherwise that theater will bring loads of trouble to that mall.
Wow it took two pages for one of these predictable comments.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Swapping out some department store space for movies makes ample sense.

Incidentally, Monroeville as a whole appears to be going through some sort of reinvestment/revitalization process, which I find very interesting.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,190 times
The Trib states that JCP will take the top 2 floors of Boscov's while the bottom floor still remains vacant at this time...

New Penney's store, movie complex set for Monroeville Mall - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
All 7 of them... in 2011 hockey is declining in popularity
You forgot your "sarcasm" quotes.

PGH needs more hockey rinks. So many guys at my workplace play in adult leagues and are constantly complaining about the late ice times and the cost.

My boss's son is currently being recruited by several colleges and he just finished his sophomore season as a goaltender.

My boss spends a fortune on both of his kids for equipment, hotel stays, travel to tournies, ice time, league fees, etc.

Glad to see some bounce back at Monroeville Mall. I just hope they include security in their cost model.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Hooray! Monroeville is finally getting a movie theater with 21st-Century technology!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I thought Dick's and Target were moving into South Hills and Wal-Mart was moving into Monroeville
There's already a Dicks in the mall complex (behind it) and the Monroeville
Target has it's own complex which is usually disgustingly crowded. The Harmar or Robinson Targets are usually easier to manage.

And regarding hockey... I've read lots of articles about hockey's declining viewership. I assume those numbers apply to Pittsburgh... perhaps I'm wrong? Links anyone?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
It would be good to see Monroeville Mall make a come back, I have so many fond memories of that place form the 80"s.

With a number of declining East End areas set to redevelop, Monroeville Mall may get come back to what it was in it's glory days.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
By the way, if they don't have an annual zombie film festival, they are brainless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh