Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Where are you gonna go? Norway?
Ah, the power of the media. One person in Norway goes crazy and people think it is crime ridden. Feel free to compare crime states per capita to the US. I think you might pack up and move if you look into it. I found it so funny how the US media says Norway isn't prepared for such a thing. No kidding, it was on some island in the middle of no where and things like that don't happen up that way.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/...d-States/Crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,958 times
It so nice to see Mayor Nutless has his priorities straight. I guess two people getting assaulted and sent to the hospital isn't really important.

Nutter To Tackle Mobs With New Plan (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/nutter-to-tackle-mobs-with-new-plan - broken link)

Flash mob violence has the mayor of Philadelphia, Michael Nutter, and other agencies planning to fight back with a plan of their own.

On Monday, the mayor's office announced it was organizing a coordinated response between police, the district attorney's office and a variety of other organizations, after a flash mob attacked on Friday night in the Chestnut Street area of Philadelphia.

Fox 29 reached out to Mayor Michael Nutter on Monday but he isn't speaking about the plan until he gets back from vacation.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
This Sunday wilding episode was a first for Pittsburgh.

Since they did nab a few, and there are video cameras in the store, they should be able to identify at least a couple of more.

The key is to make an example out of them, let others know that they will really have the book thrown at them for this kind of thing.

Maybe drag it out for a couple of months, arrest only 1 a week or so, let the others sweat it.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
It so nice to see Mayor Nutless has his priorities straight. I guess two people getting assaulted and sent to the hospital isn't really important.
I am confused. The article posted is about Philly. I don't want to be a jerk, but Philly is VERY different from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is tiny in comparison. Also, Philly has more crime than Pittsburgh and is used to it. I can't compare what goes on in Philly to our tiny little situation with a few teens that messed about with some toys in Target and made people nervous. No one was hurt here, but believe me Pittsburgh will react because it is... well different in these parts. If something like that happens again, watch. It could get pretty ugly fast. Not much tolerance here, but people didn't think something like that would happen out of a church gathering.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM

250 posts, read 359,963 times
People are getting poorer. The dollar is being decimated, the middle class is shrinking, the rich keep getting bailed out, and inflation is right around the corner again without any increase in jobs or wages to go along with it. That is fertile ground for mob mentality. Remember the LA riots weren't about Rodney King, and WWI was not about Francis Ferdinand. They are just tipping points. If people get mad enough, it will be virtually impossible to suppress through authoritarian means. I believe that is typically called revolution. I wouldn't worry though, like others have pointed out if it happens we will be far from the worst effects...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
People are getting poorer. The dollar is being decimated, the middle class is shrinking, the rich keep getting bailed out, and inflation is right around the corner again without any increase in jobs or wages to go along with it. That is fertile ground for mob mentality. Remember the LA riots weren't about Rodney King, and WWI was not about Francis Ferdinand. They are just tipping points. If people get mad enough, it will be virtually impossible to suppress through authoritarian means. I believe that is typically called revolution. I wouldn't worry though, like others have pointed out if it happens we will be far from the worst effects...
I am fairly confident that none of the individuals involved in the incident being discussed have the slightest clue about politics, current events, or much of anything else.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Ah, the power of the media. One person in Norway goes crazy and people think it is crime ridden. Feel free to compare crime states per capita to the US. I think you might pack up and move if you look into it. I found it so funny how the US media says Norway isn't prepared for such a thing. No kidding, it was on some island in the middle of no where and things like that don't happen up that way.

NationMaster - Crime stats: Norway vs United States
My point was that crime happens everywhere, even in very safe countries such as Norway, Poland, etc. etc.and the recent Oslo massacre is proof.
I agree that the probability of being murdered is much lower there in comparison to the U.S, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. You can run but you can't hide.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I am fairly confident that none of the individuals involved in the incident being discussed have the slightest clue about politics, current events, or much of anything else.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many would be able to name the current U.S. Vice President?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM

250 posts, read 359,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Ah, but that's the catch. They don't need to. They only need to know that they are getting the short end of the stick. If they actually understood these things there would be no need for violence.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
My point was that crime happens everywhere,...
Not any real point at all. There are statistics and if you look at the odds of being murdered in Norway or in the US, I will take Norway. Bottom line is just because there is some crazy crime that happens in an area it hardly ever happens, doesn't mean it jumps up to the same level. Living is Fox Chapel is much safer than Homewood. Sure there may have been a shooting here in the past 100 years, but there is a shooting in Homewood every other day. Does that mean they are the same? NO. YOU HAVE NO POINT AT ALL! Admit defeat. NEXT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh