Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,040,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
but it doesn't make it any less ugly and in the way.
Ugly is subjective, but "in the way" is just incorrect. With the minor exception of the needed passages, it occupies land that in any reasonable development scheme would have buildings on it anyway.

Quote:
They are minor differences, important ones from an economic standpoint perhaps, but minor.
Economics counts, of course, and moreover I just don't get how you can say there is no difference from having no impact on the street grid and planned development lots (Produce Terminal) and entirely preventing the planned street grid and partially occupying many of the planned development lots (Arena).

Quote:
You need a STREET through it not a passageway. Heh. LOL, there are streets through it I guess. It's just the damn building is so monolithic it looks like there isn't.
Right, there is no actual impediment to streets passing through, so this is really about personal aesthetic preferences (very much unlike the Arena).

Incidentally, I personally don't think all the passages need to be full streets, meaning I would be fine with some pedestrian-only passages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This is a no brainer.
And yet the people in charge of the project aren't even considering your preferred option.

So maybe it is a no brainer, but not in the sense you meant.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM

By the way, if you want to be literal, the Produce Terminal is not in fact a "loading dock". As the name implies, it was built as a terminal for the Pennsylvania Railroad. And it is more formally called the Pennsylvania Railroad Fruit Auction & Sales Building, and as THAT name implies it was specifically designed for the bulk sale of produce.

So apparently there are in fact opportunities here for some people to learn a bit of history.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
But the Strip has amazing character because of its collection of warehouses and factories and commercial buildings from the past. These all contribute to the feel and vibe of the Strip District. Together they possess a historical and architectural significance that alone they may not. So to disturb the way all of these buildings communicate with each other by demolishing the Produce Terminal would be to obliterate a very big part of the Strip's character. And those new Buncher buildings do not contribute anything to that. I'm sorry but the Strip District does not need to look like Cranberry Vinyl Village Retirement Community. It has a gritty, urban vibe and that's what makes it cool. Obviously, the neighborhood is doing very well on its own, and doesn't need massive amounts of urban renewal or modern buildings to change that. I am in favor of the new buildings being built on those parking lots, but there is no reason to destroy the neighborhood's urban vibe to accommodate those ghastly Orlando-style condo units.
Well put. It is going to be a big enough challenge developing the empty lots in a way that connects to the rest of the Strip and leverages its cool, established character. Bulldozing the Terminal would just make that task much harder.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, if you want to be literal, the Produce Terminal is not in fact a "loading dock". As the name implies, it was built as a terminal for the Pennsylvania Railroad. And it is more formally called the Pennsylvania Railroad Fruit Auction & Sales Building, and as THAT name implies it was specifically designed for the bulk sale of produce.

So apparently there are in fact opportunities here for some people to learn a bit of history.
Yeah, a loading dock for trains. Who cares, it is still one ugly in the way building and cuts much of the strip off from what could be nice riverfront property.

It amazes me people think this is some great building. What kind of weed do you guys have? I might have to try it.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Here is where we differ. You probably think that every building in the Strip is ugly. Because these are modest historic buildings, not grand historic buildings (with the exceptions of some of the churches).
Lots of nice buildings down there. The Strip needs a major facelift. It looks like a dump. That long loading dock is a huge problem. Imagine creating an area on Smallman that actually connects with that riverfront lot. What the dim minds are proposing is cut the building here and there so people can walk there. I have a better idea. Get rid of the loading dock and make that are nice. Just because the Strip has always had that run down look and had an oder, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Look what Cleveland and Cincinnati have.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 AM

Quick, we have something in Pittsburgh that doesn't look just like something you can find in every other city in America--we must DESTROY it!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Quick, we have something in Pittsburgh that doesn't look just like something you can find in every other city in America--we must DESTROY it!
What, the Civic Arena?

Loading docks are all over the country. Maybe you should go down there and take a look at it. I ride my bike by it all the time. That whole area looks like the movie, "All the Right Moves".

Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,087,612 times
Quote:
Lots of nice buildings down there. The Strip needs a major facelift. It looks like a dump. That long loading dock is a huge problem. Imagine creating an area on Smallman that actually connects with that riverfront lot. What the dim minds are proposing is cut the building here and there so people can walk there. I have a better idea. Get rid of the loading dock and make that are nice. Just because the Strip has always had that run down look and had an oder, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Look what Cleveland and Cincinnati have.

How about instead of just saying that the building needs to be demolished because it looks like a dump, you provide a plan for what should be in its place? Your argument here has about as much logical reasoning as your save the arena campaign. I think you are acting on emotions and not on practicality.

"Just make that area nice" - I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean clean it up and make it appear less gritty, and not turn it into an outright suburban development. Well, believe it or not this can be achieved by fixing up the old building at a fraction of the cost of new buildings which would most likely not fit in with the vibe of the strip.

What you don't seem to understand is that the strip appearing gritty and slightly run-down yet eclectic and full of life is why the neighborhood is so attractive to the people who shop/live there.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,087,612 times
Quote:
What, the Civic Arena?

Loading docks are all over the country. Maybe you should go down there and take a look at it. I ride my bike by it all the time. That whole area looks like the movie, "All the Right Moves".
I believe he means the Strip District as an entire neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh