Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:30 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Fairfax, VA is booming with suburban growth, but it still has old and busted strip malls; just take a drive down Route 50, Leesburg Pike, or Columbia Pike.
Some of the strip malls on these roads are old and ugly, but they typically aren't "busted" in the sense of being half-vacant or worse for very long. And, if you look past the aging exteriors, you'd find that some of them house some of the area's best ethnic shops and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Just the suburbs? The first thing I thought when I moved to Pittsburgh was...huh? Did just enter some sort of time warp?!

Pittsburgh as a whole seems to be stuck in the past, its both strange and a bit comfortable.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Some of the strip malls on these roads are old and ugly, but they typically aren't "busted" in the sense of being half-vacant or worse for very long. And, if you look past the aging exteriors, you'd find that some of them house some of the area's best ethnic shops and restaurants.
LOL yeah I was kind of wondering what "busted" strip mall meant. I thought maybe he meant broken windows, graffiti, and other signs of disrepair. Which is also not something you find very often in Fairfax. We still have lots of new stores and other businesses opening up on a regular basis, so that tends to keep buildings repaired and repainted.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL yeah I was kind of wondering what "busted" strip mall meant.
In Pittsburgh, "busted" means it was built between 1960 and 1990 and hasn't been given a facelift.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Did Pittsburgh's suburbs skip the 1990s and 2000s or what?
I kinda know what you mean. I think a lot of Pittsburgh's "suburbs" were starting to get an influx in population during these times and that's when a lot of these shopping plazas and things were built. Some of these areas don't have the extra land to just build new things, so they stick with what they have. As others stated, some of the areas you mentioned are continuing to grow and newness is being built all over their municipalities.

The other day I was driving on Steubenville Pike in Robinson Township and noticed the difference quickly. When you're on 60 and traveling toward 79, as you go past the fast food restaurants, you'll notice that all the little shopping plazas around there look older and have an 80's feel to them. Not all of Robinson is like that, obviously. Pittsburgh and the metro area, is just an old area in general...life started long ago here. There is plenty of new construction to go along with it.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I apologize for my choice of words, I simply meant less pleasing to the eye than the newer shopping centers. I never had a problem with it there, nor do I have a problem with it here. Unlike the OP, I don't have a problem with a building from the '80s looking like it was built in the '80s, as long as it is well maintained. Are buildings supposed to have a thirty year life span? Does every old shopping center need to be torn down and replaced to meet the current fashion? I think that suggestion is silly.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
I could drive down any token older highway surrounding any token older city and ask the same thing. This is selective assuming and genaralizing at it's best. Remember, when these post World War II suburbs were being built, Sun Belt cities like Phoenix and Atlanta were still pretty much cow towns. Their boom came later. To assume that Pittsburgh has no subdivisions from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today is ..not correct.
We just a can't raze a subdivision once it meets the fifty year mark.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 08-14-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM

268 posts, read 374,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I've been driving US 30 a lot, between the Parkway and out past Ligonier. Last month it was US 22 from the Parkway to out past New Alexandria. Suburb after suburb - North Versailles, North Huntingdon, Irwin, Hempfield, Unity, Monroeville, Murrysville - look like ghetto suburbs built before the 1990s elsewhere in the country. No sidewalks, ugly half-vacant strip centers, cratered weed-strewn asphalt parking lots, overhead power lines, and broken signs. A few of the houses look like they were built 1990-2010, even a few of the strip centers do, but the vast majority of the commercial area is a nasty, ugly flashback. Did Pittsburgh's suburbs skip the 1990s and 2000s or what?
How do you define a suburb that is 1990s-2000s? I believe the trend of the 80s is still going on today -- bigger houses in upscale developments, big shopping centers, strip malls, and everything else that goes with suburban sprawl. Hempfield Township along Rt. 30 has many aspects of suburban sprawl, but if you actually drive into downtown Greensburg you'll see sidewalks, tree-lined streets, and older buildings that have been restored. It's the type of community that has that 1950's character but ACTUALLY has been restored to today's standards without changing the style or "character." Many communities outside of here are either a.) taken-over by those "ugly strip malls" aka suburban sprawl or b.) literally stuck in the 1950s (potholes, terrible infrastructure, homes and buildings falling apart, etc. BUT, there are also many places like Greensburg that have avoided both extremes.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
So you drove one road and want to ask, "Did Pittsburgh's suburbs skip the...?"

As much as I wouldn't like to respond to such a question since you obviously like to generalize with a tiny amount of information, the answer to your question is, no. You just happened to be in an area that isn't a very good commute to Pittsburgh and it probably won't ever do all that well. Take a ride down towards the airport or up 279N area, then you will be at least a little more armed with SOME knowledge, instead of posting something as ignorant as you did.
Two roads, US 30 and US 22. And yesterday I did something I haven't done in a long time because of the existence of I-79; I drove US 19 back from Harlansburg through Cranberry. I stand corrected. Cranberry at least looks like it's from this decade. But then you hit Wexford and then Ross Township.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I apologize for my choice of words, I simply meant less pleasing to the eye than the newer shopping centers. I never had a problem with it there, nor do I have a problem with it here. Unlike the OP, I don't have a problem with a building from the '80s looking like it was built in the '80s, as long as it is well maintained. Are buildings supposed to have a thirty year life span? Does every old shopping center need to be torn down and replaced to meet the current fashion? I think that suggestion is silly.
Of course not. But having some tenants, maybe paving the parking lot, adding some landscaping, cutting the grass, a little remodeling, burying the power lines, and putting in sidewalks could be done. Maintenance does wonders for attracting new residents.

The central business districts of Jeanette and Greensburg are much much nicer than the horridly ugly, ghetto sprawl of US 30. But in that strange Pittsburgh way, the architecturally beautiful, walkable CBDs - especially of Jeanette - are empty.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Aside from strip malls, we are stuck in a time warp. Pittsburgh still has mullets and for the most part don't have a clue of what's hip in music or the arts. Politics are so dated as well. (Except for the East End and South Side pockets of the city)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh