Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
I think you are forgetting a certain team slightly north and east that sells out all of its games... or will the dislike be mild when the rivalry renews here in 2016?
College is different because there are plenty of people here in Pittsburgh who love that particular team, and don't give a damn about Pitt, as well as quite a few fans of another team located an hour south of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
No one here cares about the Giants or Dolphins, so you'll get no flack. The bad guys in this town are as follows;

HATED WITH AN INSANE PASSION!
(You could run into trouble wearing their gear

Philadelphia Flyers
Baltimore Ravens
New England Patriots

STRONGLY DISLIKED

Capitals
NY Rangers
Bengals
Browns
Dallas Cowboys

(The Browns were once in the first category, but the Steelers have dominated the series lately to such a degree that this rivalry has really cooled off. Old guys still try to hype it, but the Ravens have left Cleveland in the dust as the Steeler's principal rival.

No one else is more than mildly disliked.
I think the Capitals are awfully close to moving into the first category, if they haven't already.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I think the Capitals are awfully close to moving into the first category, if they haven't already.
If they were still in our division they would be. Considering the history, I think they hate us more than we hate them. How many 1-3 deficits did we overcome against them in the playoffs?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I'm not too fond of the Patriots either or the Cowboys for obvious reasons. I hate the Raiders.

Get this. In the late 1990's Kraft used the City of Hartford and State of CT to get a new stadium in Foxboro. He threatened to move the team to Hartford and in turn the city and state spent nearly a million dollars in feasibility studies and architectural design work to develop preliminary plans to build a stadium in East Hartford. It turned out to be a practical joke because after Kraft pulled this stunt twice, he announced they were staying in Foxboro. Before that I merely disliked the Patriots because they are, aside from the Jets, a main adversary of the Dolphins. But Kraft cost our state and the city a lot of tax dollars on his scheme and as far as I am concerned it amounted to fraud and he should have been sued.

One thing I don't get is how people that hate the Steelers or for that matter the Browns or Bengals also seem to extend that hatred to the city itself and its people. While I dislike all of the Boston teams except the Bruins I certainly don't hate the city or people and enjoy visiting that area.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why people hate Pittsburgh simply because the Steelers have to play there? You don't see this kind of attitude in New England. I'm puzzled...

Quote:
No one here cares about the Giants or Dolphins, so you'll get no flack. The bad guys in this town are as follows;

HATED WITH AN INSANE PASSION!
(You could run into trouble wearing their gear

Philadelphia Flyers
Baltimore Ravens
New England Patriots

STRONGLY DISLIKED

Capitals
NY Rangers
Bengals
Browns
Dallas Cowboys

(The Browns were once in the first category, but the Steelers have dominated the series lately to such a degree that this rivalry has really cooled off. Old guys still try to hype it, but the Ravens have left Cleveland in the dust as the Steeler's principal rival.

No one else is more than mildly disliked.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
I am pretty excited. Of course I hated Wanny(as a coach) before he even took the job, and while I've always been 100% Pitt fan(i hate philly too, and refuse to share any fandom with them so PSU is out)..
, i was pretty bummed the entire time.

Him getting canned, out of the blue, it's almost like I was in an abusive relationship I couldn't get out of and finall,y by the grace of god, she got hit by a bus and I'm free.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
1-0.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Not high octane IMO, but a win IS a win!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
College is different because there are plenty of people here in Pittsburgh who love that particular team, and don't give a damn about Pitt, as well as quite a few fans of another team located an hour south of here.

I'd say we give a damn about pitt. Just not in a positive way

Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not high octane IMO, but a win IS a win!
Probably won't be the best of years for Pitt's offense as it transitions into Graham's spread attack. Going from a pro scheme to a spread is fairly difficult in one season (see our/WVU's 2001 season *shudder*, or Michigan's 2008 season). Patience is probably the best bet for Pitt fans.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
Agreed. This will take awhile to fully gel. I'm worried about the Iowa-ND-USF-Rutgers-Utah stretch. But we could be looking at a 1-4 or 2-3 stretch. But by year's end, this could be a pretty good football team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh