Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,150 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Our family was looking at a place to rent on Graham Blvd, 15235, any opinions on living in this area?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM

This would be north of Laketon Rd and south of Frankstown Rd.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextentity View Post
This would be north of Laketon Rd and south of Frankstown Rd.

You would be in either a really crappy school system ( Penn Hills) or one that is even worse (Wilkinsburg) on Graham between Laketon and Frankstown.

If you're thinking of sending your offspring to public school, you really need to consider those facts, particularly if your prospective home is in Wilkinsburg Borough.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info

No children, just dogs. Checking out a map posted in another thread of the forum, it is just into a red area, was wondering whether it was worth looking at or to keep looking for other places.

Pittsburgh Revitalization - Google Maps

Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info

No children, just dogs. Checking out a map posted in another thread of the forum, it is just into a red area, was wondering whether it was worth looking at or to keep looking for other places.

Pittsburgh Revitalization - Google Maps

Yes its very close to a declining area, however, if you really like the place and it is close to your work then by all means go and check it out along with the feel of the street/neighborhood. You are in fact only renting, so it's temporary. In these border areas, the neighborhood feel can completely change from one street to the next. Which makes it hard to quantify what a street is like with out going there and finding out for yourself.

If you have any reservations about it though, then just move on. There are many other neighborhoods where you can find cheap and decent apartments.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM

17 posts, read 52,316 times
That is generally a very stable area with a high owner occupancy rate. What is the exact number on Graham?

FYI - The Borough of Wilkinsburg has a sales agreement to purchase the First Church of Christ Scientist near the intersection of Graham/Laketon - clearly within walking distance - and will be expanding their small branch library that is already there to fill the whole building. In my opinion that is an amazing amenity to have nearby, especially in these times of funding cuts for libraries elsewhere.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
That's in a safe area of Wilkinsburg (Laketown), but it's very close to the the VERY BAD part (Park Tringle & Hunter Park). It's also near to the East Hills & the bad part of Penn Hills... I think you'll be OK renting/buying in that area.
At one point LAW (Larimer and Wilkinsburg) gang members from Hunter Park would go up to the bordering streets of Laketown, and sell dope/commit crimes/loiterer... Yet I'm pretty sure they don't do that any more
Not to toot my own horn but here's my Crime Map, http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...bcf58f986e6de2
Here's BrianTH's favorite map ~ http://i53.tinypic.com/344v0oy.jpg [which is very useful when looking to buy/rent in Wilkinsburg]

Last edited by Uptown kid; 08-25-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM

141 posts, read 339,695 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Our family was looking at a place to rent on Graham Blvd, 15235, any opinions on living in this area?

thanks!

Although that road is next to a very desirable area of Wilkinsburg (the neighborhood of Blackridge), it is next to some bad areas of Penn Hills that are only going to get worse. Although those streets look just fine, have nice homes, and are perfectly safe to drive and walk through during the day, I would not want to be out there at night.

A lot of robberies, cars getting stolen, and petty vandalism crime occurs on those streets.

That street is very close to the former East Hills Shopping Center and surrounding housing projects. Google East Hills Shopping Center and you'll see what I mean.

I would not live there. There are nicer areas of Penn Hills to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh