Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

The waterfront in general isn't very walkable. You regularly see people who've taken the bus walking along areas with no sidewalks. And, too, people in cars don't seem to have a problem going to Macy's and then jumping in their cars to drive across the parking lot to Target. I've done it myself. Maybe a pedestrian bridge over the tracks, more crosswalks, and better marketing might help to join the two areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I see a few issues - some real and some perceptions. Eighth Avenue does look run down on the surface, and some of the buildings are in disrepair. But a lot of them have good bones, as shown by the new businesses that have opened up.

I think another problem may be that the configuration of some of those storefronts are not very adaptable to modern retailing. Cramped or non-existent delivery access could be a problem.

To people not familiar with Homestead other than the Waterfront, they are not going to park and walk around when the businesses are few and far between. I don't see parking per se to be a big issue, since there is usually on-street parking available.

Basically you have a modern 20th-21st-century type shopping center with acres and acres of parking almost abutting a 19th and early 20th century shopping district that has seen better days with limited parking. It's a disconnect for a lot of people.

But I see your point - parking is a hassle in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, yet both districts thrive.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The Waterfront is cut off from 8th Avenue, so there's no spillover effect. Once people get in thier cars to leave the Waterfront, they're not interested in parking again to visit some spot on 8th Avenue. As was pointed out, the rail line is a huge barrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe a pedestrian bridge over the tracks, more crosswalks, and better marketing might help to join the two areas.
Yes, cutting off Homestead from the Waterfront was a mistake, and it is hurting Homestead's chances of redevelopment.

I was reading a report done by the county on how to have the development of the Carrie Furnace site spur redevelopment in Braddock, Rankin and Swissvale. In the report, they made it clear that it is important to not make the same mistake that was made at the Waterfront, and to make sure that both Rankin and Swissvale are well connected to the Carrie Furnace site with both streets and a greenway pedestrian trail.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, cutting off Homestead from the Waterfront was a mistake, and it is hurting Homestead's chances of redevelopment.
I agree that things that are cut off isn't a good thing, but in the case of the Waterfront, I don't see how they could have really connected them. Tracks and an area of homes and industry are in the way. They are naturally cut off and I don't think anything could have been done. No way a walk bridge over the tracks would make any difference. Who is going to walk up a flight of stairs instead of waiting for a train to roll by.

Sometimes a cut off is a good thing. I am thankful that the Waterworks is separate from Aspinwall by the UPMC Hospital. It is a pain to walk through, but I don't want the Waterworks clientele to be too close to the nice residential area.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why are people thinking the tracks are some barrier? I don't think people that park in the Waterfront are thinking of going to some place on 8th. I think there are some apartments in the Waterfront, but most people are too lazy to walk up to 8th. If they aren't that lazy, they wouldn't care about railroad tracks. These two places aren't one in the same. You drive to the Waterfront to go there, not both places. 8th is more of a local hangout. Some places seem like they do okay there.
because its true....people hate dealing with those trains....i know everyone including myself when leaving the Waterfront i dont where were @ in the complex we drive down to the stacks and come up the ramp to the bridge and take West street to get back to Munhall...Instead of taking Amity straight up which would actuall be quicker....i wish theyd make it possible for the reverse to come onto the bridge from West st and go down a ramp, but nope have to take Amity and pray you dont have wait for trains that come thru quite frequently

Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
I would like to 8 av become more Apts and Loft living...clean it up....people will pay good money for 8 av's conveince you have everything you need either in the Waterfront or to the west of the Bridge...have direct frequent bus service to Town Oakland and Squirrel Hill...You can get to from the Parkway in a matter of 5 minutes

8 Av could be very much a Prime area....

Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I get the feeling you bought investment property in Homestead, TRO Z.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As to parking, I don't know that parking's any less convenient than it is in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
But I see your point - parking is a hassle in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, yet both districts thrive.
Shadyside and Squirrel Hill have parking garages and parking lots. Homestead is all street parking. Parking is the biggest obsticle for many river towns. Take Enta for instance. They won't tear blocks of housing for parking in the flood zone because they think they'll lose tax revenue, but Etna's business district would take off if there was parking. Look at Aspiwall. There's a large parking lot right at the town square. Oakmont might not have much off-street parking but there's twice as much street parking since the businesses are only on one side of the road. It's a big bonus that street parking is free in Oakmont too. Most business districts do better when additional parking is available, especially when the business district needs to rely on more than local pedestrians to stay in business.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM

176 posts, read 767,467 times
Hahaha....Good call Hopes, we've had several single family homes in that area for at least 5 years now

I think we did a pretty good job in helping Lawrenceville rebound, we rehabbed and sold 17 properties in 3 years.....There's a lot of money on the sidelines that people want to throw at Homestead, but the risk right now might not be worth the reward...

That 8th Ave corridor needs a lot of help

Old 08-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
I think we did a pretty good job in helping Lawrenceville rebound, we rehabbed and sold 17 properties in 3 years.....There's a lot of money on the sidelines that people want to throw at Homestead, but the risk right now might not be worth the reward...
Ten years ago, we considered renting storefronts in Homestead, Southside, Lawerenceville. Homestead was too much of a risk for our business plan.

Lack of parking was an issue because it didn't have enough foot traffic and the residents didn't have the expendable income the other two areas had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh