Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They close at 5 on Saturday. Otherwise food until 10 and booze until midnight.
Can't say if they've tried being open Saturday night yet. You might ask them that. They may have tried and found not enough people want their environment for Saturday night. Wouldn't surprise me.
I don't begrudge anyone for being closed one day a week. Sometimes I wish it wasn't Sunday, but whatever.
the OP was trying to go there but couldn't because it was closed (on sat)and mentioned that others were doing the same. place was pretty full on friday. lots of restaurants choose monday since people usually stay home or pack a lunch on monday. as has been mentioned here, even if it's for big weekends like when the mets, phillies, or red sox are in town or the three rivers festival, etc. I'm sure visitor numbers are available from some place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Eh, been down this road before. We just disagree about expecting every business to be open to our whims. Those people need a life too. Heck, Costco, Costco!, closes at 6pm on Saturdays, and it was closed on Labor Day. I like them more for it really, not less, even though sometimes I wish I could go in at 7 or 8pm on Saturday, and I went to other stores on Labor Day. For a small business, it's an even tougher juggling act trying to figure out the best hours.

Maybe these guys have tried it, maybe they haven't. I certainly would disagree that "Oh they should be open because all these people were around." This doesn't actually translate into "I guess they don't want to make money" because it's quite possible they already tried it and don't, in fact, make money. The only thing that works is trying it out. And you can't always plan to do special hours for supposed busy weekends.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM

21 posts, read 31,903 times
Quote:
Eh, been down this road before. We just disagree about expecting every business to be open to our whims. Those people need a life too.
Bingo. If a business owner is OK giving up a little extra profit if it means extra time to be a human being, who are we to say it's a mistake?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspoon View Post
Bingo. If a business owner is OK giving up a little extra profit if it means extra time to be a human being, who are we to say it's a mistake?
I agree to an extent. Unfortuantely, visitors to a major city not only hope, but expect for restaurants to be open when they want them to be. In a perfect world, we would all have more leisure time. That is not the American Way I'm sorry to say.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I agree to an extent. Unfortuantely, visitors to a major city not only hope, but expect for restaurants to be open when they want them to be. In a perfect world, we would all have more leisure time. That is not the American Way I'm sorry to say.
But what you're saying here is the visitors are entitled to their leisure time, but the people operating the restaurants are not. If that's the double standard you want to insist upon, fine, but I'm going to point out it's a double standard.

It's not like these folks are operating a hotel that's closed some days of the week. It's a restaurant. If someone is so obsessed with the effect on visitors, they can subsidize the opening/training/whatever it might take to get the restaurant to be open more days/hours.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I suppose I still don't understand this "lack of leisure time" argument as a justification for many Downtown business operating at such irregular hours. I typically get every other weekend off at my one job with a weekday off thrown in for good measure now and then. Why? We have enough staffing to justify not needing everyone to be there 24/7. Why is the only option for Downtown businesses "be closed or make our employees work more hours?" Why not hire a few more part-timers to justify being open more hours, especially if the increased business will more than pay for the increased staffing level?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I suppose I still don't understand this "lack of leisure time" argument as a justification for many Downtown business operating at such irregular hours. I typically get every other weekend off at my one job with a weekday off thrown in for good measure now and then. Why? We have enough staffing to justify not needing everyone to be there 24/7. Why is the only option for Downtown businesses "be closed or make our employees work more hours?" Why not hire a few more part-timers to justify being open more hours, especially if the increased business will more than pay for the increased staffing level?
You can't compare a delivery job with restaurant operation. Much of restaurant business is cash and employees can rob owners blind. If the place is big enough they can have management staff, but not all do. Therefore, owners can manage themselves if they are not open too many hours. If they are open lots of hours then there is the need of hiring of a manager. That is a huge expense. Can restaurant sales justify hiring a manager with benefits? That is a lot of sales and lets face it, downtown is a bit of a ghost town most weekday nights. Friday is no doubt the biggest night out down there. Saturday can also be dead. Sunday is a total ghost town.

I hope this explains the horns of the dilemma.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Probably because the increased business hasn't proven to be enough to cover the costs of hiring and training people. There's a lot of time/money that goes into training people to the level of operating the shop. Then they up and quit anyway, right? So then you get to train some more.

I'm not saying it's a choice between opening and leisure time. I'm saying that ALL these things figure in: costs, training, employee turnover, lack of business during certain hours, leisure time, and more. I'm saying the armchair quarterbacks on here who think they have eyeballed enough business to justify these places being open do not really have a handle on the situation. They may be right, but they may not be. The shop may already have tried being open those times and gave up precisely because there isn't enough business. There's no certainty there. I'm saying it takes a lot more to be open extra time and maintain quality than just hiring a couple part-timers. I'm saying that people chattering about this don't really know what it takes and what these people are putting into their businesses, they just want it to be open more without regard to these issues.

That's all. I don't even own a damn business and I can see this. I find it odd that others don't really want to recognize this.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Eh, been down this road before. We just disagree about expecting every business to be open to our whims. Those people need a life too. Heck, Costco, Costco!, closes at 6pm on Saturdays, and it was closed on Labor Day. I like them more for it really, not less, even though sometimes I wish I could go in at 7 or 8pm on Saturday, and I went to other stores on Labor Day. For a small business, it's an even tougher juggling act trying to figure out the best hours.

Maybe these guys have tried it, maybe they haven't. I certainly would disagree that "Oh they should be open because all these people were around." This doesn't actually translate into "I guess they don't want to make money" because it's quite possible they already tried it and don't, in fact, make money. The only thing that works is trying it out. And you can't always plan to do special hours for supposed busy weekends.
this is a peculiar opinion, quite frankly, and oddly disconnected from the world of restaurants. Personally, I find my wife's remark a lot more on the money than yours. as brian says, oftentimes it takes an outsider to shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspoon
umm, people on the internet posting on a message board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityrising
I suppose I still don't understand this "lack of leisure time" argument as a justification for many Downtown business operating at such irregular hours.
it isn't and that's one large reason why mom and pops get creamed. they operate like it's 1952 and everyone is married with the father working and the mother staying at home with time to shop during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcurtis
Friday is no doubt the biggest night out down there. Saturday can also be dead. Sunday is a total ghost town.
right, but as the OP said, I've seen myself, market sq ISNT dead. NOLA was packing them in and there were people milling about. if it's going to be sustainable, it will need more places. oftentimes you have to work more for less in the beginning of a project to get it off the ground. that's the nature of the beast. I have a friend who owns a distributor and he worked like a dog for no money when he first bought it, paid down debt, and now works less and makes pretty good money. from a larger perspective, it's important to the city because it a) creates a positive impression of the city and b) offers a place for people to spend their money other than their own neighborhood. c) might be a social benefit as downtowns often encourage mixing of people from different neighborhoods, suburbs, and visitors when they work.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
umm, people on the internet posting on a message board.
Definitely something to keep in mind in all discussions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh