Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,580,059 times

Advertisements

This phenomenon is explained by the fact that Pittsburgh is really a French colony called Fort Duquesne, and so Pittsburghers are behaving like the Quebec snow birds in FLA - reconquering l'Amerique Nord one Labatt's at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 AM

9,370 posts, read 13,038,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
No, they don't. If they did people out here in southern California would have "TJA", "LVN", and "WC" oval stickers on the backs of their cars. Incidentally, I've never been to the Outer Banks, but I've been dahn Myrtle plenty of times. It's true. Myrtle Beach is Pittsburgh's satellite city in the south. There are probably as many Yinzers to be found there as there are in Bedford, PA. That's not an exaggeration either. The Pittsburgh presence is that strong.
I believe there are more Steelers Bars in North Carolina than Pennsylvania.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,351,555 times
I will never understand why either. It took one time to Myrtle for me and I will never go back. It had to be by far the filthiest beach I have ever been to, roaches on the boardwalk, cigarette buts all through the sand, the ocean was a grime green color, and the area itself makes Pgh look diverse . I far prefer somewhere such as San Diego, VA Beach, or a Florida beach. I would honestly even choose Rockaway beach in NYC before going back to Myrtle

Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,726,444 times
I guess it's all a part of Pittsburghers refusing to leave their comfort zone. I wonder if someone can dig up a statistic detailing the percentage of people in Pittsburgh who have a passport?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,951,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I far prefer somewhere such as San Diego
As far as the actual quality of the beaches go, I totally disagree. I'm now living in San Diego county, and the beaches here pretty much suck. They're freezing, the sand is brown, and there's dead seaweed all over the place. You couldn't pay me enough to go into the water either. It's nasty.

Community-wise however, it's a different story. Southern California's beach towns are much different of those on the east coast. The emphasis isn't totally on the beach, so every town has it's own flavor and charm to it. The eastern beach towns are littered with gaudy surf shops, lame ass nick-knack stores, liquor stores, and dumb attractions that are a waste of money. Like the 50,000 put-put golf courses in Myrtle beach for example.

The southeastern coastal areas also become relatively devoid of civilization once you get inland about a mile. I always hated that. Take Myrtle Beach for example again. Aside from Conway (which is a cute little place), there's hardly anything at all in Horry county once you get a little west of highway 17. You'd think it would be a little more built up, but it's not.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,167,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
As tongue-in-cheek as this post is, my yinzer dad has a very similar conversation with me. "I've seen those sp***s popping up everywhere!" Keep in mind he's Puerto Rican (yes, a Puerto Rican Yinzer). Some weird self loathing thing going on there.

Never underestimate yinzer's inability to cope with people that are unlike themselves.
On a slightly related note, I remember reading somewhere else on a different thread on City-data a story about an African man who didn't like 'black people' and flipped out when someone said "aren't you black too?". It has to do with who you can relate to the most.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Well yinz all know what this means! That's right! Dem dreaded illegals have set their sights on da Burgh for their next conquest! Yinz better learn a few of dem Mexican words n'nat. Lol.
I know you're jokin n'at but don't 'ferget' that Pittsburgh and the other cities with a high rate of Hispanic growth had a small population to begin with. In actual numbers, I think the population went from 4,000 in 2000 to 6,500 in 2010.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I know you're jokin n'at but don't 'ferget' that Pittsburgh and the other cities with a high rate of Hispanic growth had a small population to begin with. In actual numbers, I think the population went from 4,000 in 2000 to 6,500 in 2010.
You beat me to it! Also, the actual percentage of hispanics increased from 1.54% to 2.3%. (Please note this is not the same as the % of increase.)

Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,951,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It surprised me that the number are even that high.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It surprised me that the number are even that high.
There are some professional Hispanics too here with the universities and people from south America and the (where i think the majority of local hispanics come from) who the census will also consider hispanic. I also know a couple people locally who are partially Hispanic but you wouldn't even think they were partially but they can still check Hispanic on forms or the census. Hispanic wasnt even added until 1970 and before then they likely would have only checked white. I think the term is too broad as Central America, the carribean, and South America are rather different besides they all speak Spanish other than the brazillians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh