Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,812 times

Advertisements

This may seem a bit wierd, but it's for my mother. She went to some tire place, and they served these really big bagels to their customers. They were apparently really good, but she was never able to get a clear answer on where they were purchased from. They only thing she can really say is that they were much bigger than normal bagels. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
All I know is Brueggers is my Favorite bagel place when I'm in the Burgh.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
That's a toughie, unless someone knows the tire place and can identify the bagels.

I will say if it's a "real" bagel you're after then the best choice in this area is Mediterra. Mediterra Bakehouse One place you can reliably get Mediterra bagels is Whole Foods, and you can also get them at the bakery I gather. There may be some other spots, but many of the retail outlets listed only sell the other breads. Mediterra bagels are pretty big. Short of someone being a real connoisseur at the tire place, or being near Mediterra or a source for their bagels, it doesn't seem particularly likely this was it, but these are worth seeking out anyway I'd say.

I don't know anyone else making a real bagel in town except the chain Bruegger's, sort of. They do still boil them at least (that is the step missing from most others) although I'm guessing they are boiling frozen dough. These are not particularly large so it probably wasn't them.

A largish round individual bread with a hole in the middle could have come from a number of stores including typical supermarkets, Einstein Bros, etc. Most of these taste about the same though IMO.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I will say if it's a "real" bagel you're after then the best choice in this area is Mediterra. Mediterra Bakehouse One place you can reliably get Mediterra bagels is Whole Foods, and you can also get them at the bakery I gather.
Came here to post this. My favorite bagels in the city!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
They could be from Panera. Their bagels are these huge things that may or may not have holes, the dough or topping spreads so much during the baking process. I like the cinnamon crunch, or if I'm having it as a sandwich, the Asiago cheese bagel.

Panera Bread › Menu & Nutrition › Bagels & Spreads

Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
um, Bruggers? There is a place called the bagel factory.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
It always surprised me that even someplace like Squirrel Hill could still be a bagel desert.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It always surprised me that even someplace like Squirrel Hill could still be a bagel desert.
It's not a total desert. You can get a decent bagel at the Bagel Factory. It's the only place in the neighborhood you can get a poppyseed bagel (my favorite). Not even the Smallman Street Deli (on Murray Avenue) sells poppyseed (and they call themselves "Deli, the way it used to be." Feh).

Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
I can recomend Bagel Factory in Shadyside or Oakmont Bakery in Oakmont.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Again, (I realize that typing stuff on this Pittsburgh forum is like writing things in invincible ink), there is a large place Forbes/Shady Intersection called the Bagel Factory. It has very good bagels, crusty outside, everthing bagels smothered in actual everything, good breakfasts, good lunches.

Cons are it is extremely slow. The way they run it could be 100 times better. You wait an hour to get your bagels, then another hour to get rung up. They could do what other bagel places do, hire a few more kids, ring people out faster through more registers and it would be much better.

Last edited by KingKrab; 09-22-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh