Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 12,891 times

Advertisements

i definatley got it at the right price and appreiciate the information... a bit of a gamble not knowing the area but thats the only way to succeed, calculated risks so i took one.. thanks guys on the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
That section of Wilkinsburg is called the Highschool area. So far this year in that area two people have been shot and killed, two of the bad parts of Wilkinsburg's six homicides this year... To answer your question, significant gentrification has not yet reached from Penn to Hill Street. I'm not trying to deter you, but that stretch of Coal St is located in a widely considered rough area.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM

55 posts, read 124,415 times
I havent read every single post but Ill tell you its not a good area. I live in Wilkinsburg, but in the Regent Square part. Im literally a couple of houses away from Edgewood. Ive walked through the area, all over the place and there are some places that are shady and some are downright dangerous- the area you are talking about is one I would never consider. I spoke with local police (I had to call 911 for a hit and run on my car) and the officers were SO informative and helpful. I would recommend trying to call the local police station and see if you can get someone to give you some information. They told me exactly what types of crime were where and how to protect myself.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM

55 posts, read 124,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrn View Post
Born and raised in Pgh. Lived in Pgh for 41 years, worked in Pgh, attended undergrad and grad school in Pgh. Don't recall ever hearing anyone say "Y'all."
You are exactly right. When my husband, born and raised in this area, moved from Butler to Northern Virginia (where we met) he was thrilled to hear people actually say "Ya'll" in a real conversation.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,833 times
Beautiful Wilkinsburg in the 60's - ghetto hellhole now.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwilkinsburgdude View Post
Beautiful Wilkinsburg in the 60's - ghetto hellhole now.
Not ALL of Wilkinsburg is a dump, but I agree the downtown looks really bad. The government pumped some money into it, but everything failed. You have to work really hard to make it owning a business. Outside investment and people from the outside need to move in and take it over, but I don't think it will ever happen due to the tax situation there. I think it will continue to get worse. Shame because it has so much potential, but all the violence is just too much. One business that seems to do very well there is Braverman's Arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh