Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,416 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

In the spring of 2012 I will be attending nursing school in Shadyside. I need to find a safe (secure) rental close to UPMC Shadyside for about $900/mo. (also need parking) in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside.

Are there any "less safe" areas of these two neighborhoods? Would you consider them safe to live in for a single woman? I have been shopping/eating in both of these neighborhoods for years, but know nothing about living in them.

I have been working downtown for many years while commuting from the Cranberry/Mars area. I won't miss the rush hour traffic on 279 & 79!

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
So there is some street crime in Shadyside, a bit less in Squirrel Hill, and very infrequently there will be a small crime wave of some sort. Statistically I'd suggest your long commute was more dangerous, but I think standard urban precautions should be applied even in nicer neighborhoods like Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. I don't know what your schedule will be like, but for women that includes not walking alone around commercial areas too much at night.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are certainly pretty much safe in their entirety in 2011.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is some real estate agents expand the definition of "Shadyside" and "Squirrel" to include neighboring areas which (although not particularly seedy nowadays) still aren't quite as nice and perhaps a little grittier.

I've seen places far into Greenfield advertised as "Squirrel" and places as far adrift as Dearborn Street and Pennley Park called "Shadyside" in real estate ads.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 AM

116 posts, read 212,311 times
Both are very safe for a woman.

About walking at night, there's definitely a difference between walking alone before say midnight and after midnight. I personally wouldn't hesitate walking alone in these neighborhoods before midnight. I'd be more cautious after, but not scared by any means. Also, walking in business districts seem safer to me opposed to residential areas, due to the amount of people around and lighting.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
Also, walking in business districts seem safer to me opposed to residential areas, due to the amount of people around and lighting.
The problem is that street criminals target places they know they are likely to find victims, so street crime does actually tend to be higher in commercial areas. The combination to most watch our for is commercial areas when they aren't bustling, which gives street criminals the best ratio of possible victims to possible witnesses.

I might note none of this is cause for serious overall concern in these neighborhoods, but it is like wearing a seatbelt (a sensible precaution in the unlikely event of an accident).

Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Years ago I lived in an apartment building on the corner of Alder and Spahr in Shadyside. It had a parking lot and was real cheap. I forget the name of the Landlord.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 AM

116 posts, read 212,311 times
Street crime may be statistically higher in commercial areas. But going on happenings of people I know and my own experiences, a woman is more likely to be mugged, physically/sexually assaulted on a quieter, residential street than on Walnut, Murray, Forbes, etc. Criminals don't want to get caught obviously, so they target victims where there's less of a chance being caught or intervened with.

Hypothetically, if a woman asked me the safest route from point A to point B in Shadyside, I'd recommend using Walnut Street as opposed to Howe. However, I may deviate from this logic with concern to the Southside. Due to the large number of drunks on Carson, I'd likely recommend Sarah where there's still a lot of people, but less "rowdiness".

Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM

I'd agree side streets right near commercial areas are probably not the best choice late at night (which I suppose covers most of Shadyside). I'd also emphasize this very much depends on time of day/how busy the commercial area in question is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh