Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
On topic, Oakland may be good if looking for a fling, but nothing serious as it's mostly college kids. What is Shadyside like on a normal night? I've never been out in that area for the night-life.
They tend to be more mature in Shadyside but not more serious. You can't find serious in a bar anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Never underestimate cruising opportunities

gay male

Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 AM

443 posts, read 600,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Stay out of the sports/Steelers bars though. Those places are sausage fests. Also, yeah I do think it's better in some cities. Northern VA & (surprisingly) Cleveland seemed much better.

....And it's more like the 5's in Pittsburgh think they're 10's.
I have never heard anybody rating people on looks from 1-10 since I was like in high school. If I heard somebody saying this while out at a bar I would tend to think that they were very lame and if I was single probably end the conversation at that point.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
What is Shadyside like on a normal night?
Unlike Oakland, the Strip or the South Side, I think Shadyside has a fairly wide range. In places like Doc Mario's Eastside Swilling Trough (or whatever it calls itself now), in my recent observation, the crowd is made up largely of the same promising young pillars of society as you'd find in the other three neighborhoods. Soba, on the other hand, is still catering to an older clientele with fancier plastic in their wallets.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM

443 posts, read 600,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They tend to be more mature in Shadyside but not more serious. You can't find serious in a bar anywhere.
This whole thread is filled with stereotypes. Typical of this forum.

I met my wife at a bar actually. It was a local neighborhood watering hole. We are both pretty serious and had the worlds cutest little accident child together. I am not some drunk wasting my money at the bar and non-responsible person. In fact many people I know met their significant others at bars in their 20s and live healthy, loving, responsible lives together.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
My partner of nearly a year and I met drunkenly in his bed while I was apartment-hunting up here. Sometimes even a presumed one-night stand can flourish into something much more meaningful, too, since we're bucking stereotypes.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
When I was dating, volunteer activities were the best place to meet young singles. For one thing, the pool of people you meet are more likely to have similar interests. I don't live in Pittsburgh and so don't know which groups to recommend for young singles--anyone want to chime in with a few suggestions? Political groups, book drives, and environmental groups often attract a lot of singles. My mom always used to say "If you want to date a doctor, volunteer at a hospital."

Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
This whole thread is filled with stereotypes.

You're just being crustacean.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Stay out of the sports/Steelers bars though. Those places are sausage fests. Also, yeah I do think it's better in some cities. Northern VA & (surprisingly) Cleveland seemed much better.

....And it's more like the 5's in Pittsburgh think they're 10's.

The only decent nightlife areas in Cleveland are around University Circle. And 5's thinking they are 10's is a bit of an exaggeration, imo.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
When I was dating, volunteer activities were the best place to meet young singles. For one thing, the pool of people you meet are more likely to have similar interests. I don't live in Pittsburgh and so don't know which groups to recommend for young singles--anyone want to chime in with a few suggestions? Political groups, book drives, and environmental groups often attract a lot of singles. My mom always used to say "If you want to date a doctor, volunteer at a hospital."
Good idea, Caladium! I just applied to be a "Snow Angel" through the city's servePGH program. Essentially willing volunteers are paired with eligible recipients (typically elderly and the disabled) who need someone to shovel their walkways for them during the winter. This might be a good way to find someone to help keep you warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh