Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM

659 posts, read 1,146,409 times

Advertisements

On the Dr. Oz show there was a 12 year old girl who was picked up for streetwalking, she was too scared to go to the police, the only reason she is alive today is because someone called the police. They said that if not for this tip, she be dead now or never to be found cause when time passes, people change, they become more trapped into it.

Maybe these streetwalkers work as panhandlers during the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
No disrespect but that is ludicrous as well as impracticable.
Ok, so what do you propose a person do? Hopes brought up the idea of human trafficking...that is entirely possible and it's also entirely possible, as I said, that these are clever Oakland college kids making some extra dough!

I ask that as a legitimate question, what do you do in a case like this? I personally do not like blowing things out of proportion or "crying wolf" per say, but, it's possible it's a serious incident or nothing more than meets the eye.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Ok, so what do you propose a person do? Hopes brought up the idea of human trafficking...that is entirely possible and it's also entirely possible, as I said, that these are clever Oakland college kids making some extra dough!

I ask that as a legitimate question, what do you do in a case like this? I personally do not like blowing things out of proportion or "crying wolf" per say, but, it's possible it's a serious incident or nothing more than meets the eye.
Whenever you suspect human trafficking, call the national number (1.888.373.7888).

I wouldn't necessarily do it every time I saw someone begging, but these people being dropped off/picked up by cars or vans is a big red flag. When you call the national hotline, they will want as much detail as possible about the locations, description of the vehicles, etc.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post
I take the bus around Oakland and the Southside throughout the week and I've seen an increasingly strange thing happening around town.

Young adults standing at street corners with a sign begging for money.

On more than one occasion, I've seen a car or van pull up, the kid gets in, and another kid out of the van takes his/her place...what the heck is going on here?
Where, exactly, have you seen this?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:33 PM

65 posts, read 146,988 times
Simple, Do not give them money and they will not continue to beg on the streets!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilmanMike View Post
Simple, Do not give them money and they will not continue to beg on the streets!
Some of us have a very difficult time just turning a blind eye, though, to someone who potentially could be in need. I'm rather low-income myself thanks to this incessant recession, but nevertheless if someone walks up to me and says they haven't eaten in two days and are in dire need of help I'm not going to just ignore them.

What I do find bizarre, though, is how many vagrants and panhandlers are creeping up in our city's supposedly "tony" neighborhoods such as Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. I wonder if they meander to these places in hopes that the people will be more receptive to their requests?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,409 times
Hopefully the op will come back and tell us where he or she had seen this take place! I can pretty much sense a con when I see one...I will usually give something to someone who I think has nothing to eat, most are mentally unstable and don't know to go to a shelter sometimes...very sad, this is someones son, daughter, mom or dad...I bet most these people have no one in this world.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post
Wow, so this is organized begging? I feel bad for the kids if they have to do this.
I saw this a lot in Florida. Professional beggars. Seems nothing is sacred these days. My only advice is, just don't give any money to the pros. There are some homeless on the Allegheny River under the 9th Street Bridge or right around there all the time. If you feel the need to give, give to them.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I saw this a lot in Florida. Professional beggars. Seems nothing is sacred these days. My only advice is, just don't give any money to the pros. There are some homeless on the Allegheny River under the 9th Street Bridge or right around there all the time. If you feel the need to give, give to them.
Are you missing the fact that the "pros" are prisoners who get beaten for not making enough money?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 AM

443 posts, read 601,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Some of us have a very difficult time just turning a blind eye, though, to someone who potentially could be in need. I'm rather low-income myself thanks to this incessant recession, but nevertheless if someone walks up to me and says they haven't eaten in two days and are in dire need of help I'm not going to just ignore them.

What I do find bizarre, though, is how many vagrants and panhandlers are creeping up in our city's supposedly "tony" neighborhoods such as Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. I wonder if they meander to these places in hopes that the people will be more receptive to their requests?
You act like Squirrel Hill is the Beverly Hills of Pittsburgh. There is a huge distinction between North and South Squirrel Hill. I always see this on this forum. People who claim to know Pittsburgh think that all of Squirrel Hill is full of rich people.

South Squirrel hill consists of large amounts of apartment buildings, rows, and small houses. I lived in S. Squirrel hill and was far from living in a "Tony" neighborhood. My cockroach filled one room craphole I lived on in Hobart Street was probably worse than yours in Polish Hill. Murry Ave is just any other street in Pittsburgh. It is going to have it's bums in front of the dirty bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh