Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Try Northwest Savings Bank, great service. Plus, they have free tootsie rolls at the counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
The only thing I will say, I did witness a teller question a guy depositing a check about how he acquired the check. The guy was playing along and saying what he did for work, etc, but I found it to be completely bizarre that he was being questioned the way he was. If a teller was questioning me, I honestly would have been offended and took the matter further. His appearance / behavior was not one that would draw any unnecessary question either. This was with PNC.

A friend of mine and her entire family pulled out of Citizens Bank for a similar occurrence. She was depositing a series of large checks that were inheritance checks. The bank tellers were basically scrutinizing where these checks came from. So, instead, she pulled it all out and went to PNC.
In recent years Know Your Customer/Anti-Money Laundering regulations have gotten more rigorous. A lot of it is triggered under the USA PATRIOT Act. Tellers are trained to question unusual activity on customer accounts. Since you only witnessed the guy you describe, you don't know what the activity on his account might have looked like, whether anything was flagged, if he had unusual activity recently, etc. Money Launderers don't have a particular appearance. Additionally, a series of large checks can trigger money laundering questions. Appropriate answers make the issue go away, but unfortunately, under regulations, the banks are required to ask the questions, and yes, scrutinize unusual activity.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
In recent years Know Your Customer/Anti-Money Laundering regulations have gotten more rigorous. A lot of it is triggered under the USA PATRIOT Act. Tellers are trained to question unusual activity on customer accounts. Since you only witnessed the guy you describe, you don't know what the activity on his account might have looked like, whether anything was flagged, if he had unusual activity recently, etc. Money Launderers don't have a particular appearance. Additionally, a series of large checks can trigger money laundering questions. Appropriate answers make the issue go away, but unfortunately, under regulations, the banks are required to ask the questions, and yes, scrutinize unusual activity.
Yep, this too. Even though banks suck, not all the crappy things they do are only because they suck.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I'd really like to see you post a positive thread sometime.
These comments from you are really getting old. Save it bro.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, I'm really getting sick and tired of people either a) using one bad experience in Pennsylvania to condemn the entire state, or b) assuming that because somebody first had a certain kind of negative experience in Pennsylvania, that such a negative experience is exclusive to the state. I have enough basis for comparison to know that virtually all the negative experiences people complain about as being exclusive to Pennsylvania (or Pittsburgh) have happened elsewhere.
I never had any issues anywhere other than western PA. It seems like banks there have a policy to leave the discretion to the tellers. As I stated in my first post, anywhere else and it was thumb print and a possible fee. The reason I started this thread was due to my curiosity of whether or not this an actual policy, or just an anomaly. Apparently nobody can answer that question, so instead I get flamed for somehow bashing Pittsburgh. Sorry I even asked. I just won't post on the Pittsburgh forums from now on. I don't live there anymore anyway, so it's kind of a moot point I guess.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
I can't remember the last time that I actually stepped foot inside a bank. I have applied for all of my loans (car, mortage, ect) through the interwebs and I deposit checks at ATMs or using the APP on my phone.

I have always found banks to be annoying places to visit and I'm glad that technology allows me to avoid them.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
These comments from you are really getting old. Save it bro.
+100!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I never had any issues anywhere other than western PA. It seems like banks there have a policy to leave the discretion to the tellers. As I stated in my first post, anywhere else and it was thumb print and a possible fee. The reason I started this thread was due to my curiosity of whether or not this an actual policy, or just an anomaly. Apparently nobody can answer that question, so instead I get flamed for somehow bashing Pittsburgh. Sorry I even asked. I just won't post on the Pittsburgh forums from now on. I don't live there anymore anyway, so it's kind of a moot point I guess.

Some banks cash their own checks, I know this to be true. This isn't anything that's at the teller's discretion if the bank allows it. I don't know if some banks choose not to cash their own checks, that is quite possible. That would also not be at the teller's discretion.

I do know that there would have been tightening of rules in recent years; I thought that would be relevant perhaps, but I don't know which years you were here and when you were elsewhere, apart from now. And I do know is there is not some regional difference in such rules; they are federal and/or common bank policy to deal with fraud. There may be some bank-to-bank differences in their own fraud rules.

There is no regional policy to be rude to you (or anyone) when you go into a bank. I know this. Really. I think you know it too. This is the same issue as the fast food one: poor management of low-paid workers. (You do know tellers work for crap right? They're no better off than any other store clerk or fast food worker. Not an excuse but something to remember. Pretty amazing given that they handle so much cash, but there are a lot of checks on that.)

I'll ask you the same thing I asked someone else recently: why is it so important to attribute this issue to a regional problem?

Last edited by greg42; 12-22-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 12:37 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I've had nothing but positive experiences with my usual PNC branch on Baum Boulevard in North Oakland. The security guard there, a stocky African-American guy who always seems to be in a perky mood, loves joking with me nonchalantly from time to time about my former employer, and he often opens the door for people. The tellers are always smiling as well, and the last time I chatted for a few minutes to one about house-cleaning of all things! LOL! I suppose it just varies from location to location. I've also had great experiences with PNC branch locations on Penn Circle South in East Liberty and on Murray Avenue in Greenfield. I think the only time I ever encountered a grouchy PNC teller was at the location on Forbes Avenue in Squirrel Hill (but then again from all of my experiences here people tend to just be moodier for some reason or other in that whole neighborhood).

Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
. I think the only time I ever encountered a grouchy PNC teller was at the location on Forbes Avenue in Squirrel Hill (but then again from all of my experiences here people tend to just be moodier for some reason or other in that whole neighborhood).
I'm sure Squirrel Hill has grouchy people, but the whole neighborhood is far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh